How should I go about observing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMABADSTUDENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get as many hours of shadowing as possible before I apply so I will look at least somewhat apealing. There are two doctors in my town. How should I approach them? Should I throw on a jacket and tie and go in person? Should call ahead? Should I write a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call ahead and definitely dress nice when you meet w/ them. Feel free to shadow both. You might find that you only get along w/ one of them.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I would call ahead and definitely dress nice when you meet w/ them. Feel free to shadow both. You might find that you only get along w/ one of them.

I'm also going to be visiting a local podiatrist to have a interview and see if I can shadow her. This will be my first time to do something like this and I was wondering what advice anyone has. What sorts of things do you talk about during a meeting like this? What sort of questions are normal in these situation, should I just ask her if I can shadow her?

Thanks,
Don

Members don't see this ad :)
Donstantine said:
I'm also going to be visiting a local podiatrist to have a interview and see if I can shadow her. This will be my first time to do something like this and I was wondering what advice anyone has. What sorts of things do you talk about during a meeting like this? What sort of questions are normal in these situation, should I just ask her if I can shadow her?

Thanks,
Don

this is just my advice and I am sure someone who shadowed a pod that they did not know can give you more advice.

Dress professional - if not a suit at least a shirt and tie. (you should dress for the job/profession/role that you wish to achieve)

Be prepared to talk about yourself, why you think you are interested in podiatry and bring up that shadowing a pod will help you make the decision. (she might offer for you to shadow).

Research podiatry on the AACPM, APMA, and the college websites before you go so you know something.

Have an idea of what you hope to get out of shadowing (your goals) and what if anything the DPM should get out of it.

anybody have anything else to add?

krabmas said:
this is just my advice and I am sure someone who shadowed a pod that they did not know can give you more advice.

Dress professional - if not a suit at least a shirt and tie. (you should dress for the job/profession/role that you wish to achieve)

Be prepared to talk about yourself, why you think you are interested in podiatry and bring up that shadowing a pod will help you make the decision. (she might offer for you to shadow).

Research podiatry on the AACPM, APMA, and the college websites before you go so you know something.

Have an idea of what you hope to get out of shadowing (your goals) and what if anything the DPM should get out of it.

anybody have anything else to add?

I would add discuss what he/she does in his/her practice. Some older pods no longer do surgery. If they do surgery see if you can observe a surgery. I know that a lot of people will decide there future by how the shadowing goes. But if you get a crabbie old man who is just wanting to retire; you aren't being fair to yourself or the profession

Other than that I agree w/ everything Ms. Krabmas.

IMABADSTUDENT said:
I would like to get as many hours of shadowing as possible before I apply so I will look at least somewhat apealing. There are two doctors in my town. How should I approach them? Should I throw on a jacket and tie and go in person? Should call ahead? Should I write a letter?

Before I shadowed my local podiatrist, I called him ahead and he gave me his email and number. I never thought how helpful he would be even if he was semiretired. He was very kind, optimistic and made very good money!

You should definetely try to shadow someone that is going to be totally helpful. Remember that shadowing is a critical point in your decision making. If you want try to see both, and then you can have the option to decide who you would like to shadow.

Best of Luck :thumbup: