This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do my chances of med school admission remain strong despite being behind?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Freebands

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for viewing my first post. I'm 19 and attend the Community College of Rhode Island with a 3.9 GPA through 3 semesters (40 credits). I got accepted into TCU for next fall as a neuroscience major, and TCU has a matriculation rate of 80% into med school. I work 30 hours a week, but have no EC'S. That's right, ZERO extracurriculars. Is it possible to chase this dream of medical school, despite being behind (I haven't taken any chemistry yet). Is there something I should do starting next fall to not only catch up, but to strive forward? I'm taking Calculus II, physics, and and 2 electives next semester, out of fear that some prereq's won't count bc they're from a community college. There is a serious lack of EC opportunities present at my school as well. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There is literally no reason to rush things. Keep up the strong academic performance and begin adding ECs as you have time. I almost always suggest a gap year - med schools are going no where and more importantly this journey is a marathon.

There is literally no reason to rush things. Keep up the strong academic performance and begin adding ECs as you have time. I almost always suggest a gap year - med schools are going no where and more importantly this journey is a marathon.
Thank you, I've just always heard that it looks best to finish in 4 years with all pre req's done so I was trying to the extreme to make that a reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I've just always heard that it looks best to finish in 4 years with all pre req's done so I was trying to the extreme to make that a reality.

Don't know where you heard that but it's not true. Adcoms care about the grades you get not how quickly you did the coursework (within reason of course). Taking an extra semester or two and getting As is far better than trying to rush things and getting Bs or Cs

Reactions: 1 users
So what are you doing in the nontrad forum?
It's my first post. While I wasn't clearly informed the guidelines of what makes a nontraditional student, I thought coming from a CC was unconventional enough compared to most pre meds

The best piece of advice I can give you is not to get anyone pregnant or get married until you are at least 25 and have set a career plan solidly into motion.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are coming from a CC and moving to TCU, you will quickly find out why their matriculation rate to med school is so high: the courses are extremely difficult. I transferred from TCU after 3 years to a state school and the workload is about 1/2 of what I was doing at TCU. I would prepare for an extreme increase in the workload you are used to and an extended level of difficulty of the criteria you are graded upon. TCU is also on a plus/minus grading system last I checked, making it even more difficult to get a high GPA. It's an amazing school but you will work for your grades in a way your competing peers at state schools will not need to.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are coming from a CC and moving to TCU, you will quickly find out why their matriculation rate to med school is so high: the courses are extremely difficult. I transferred from TCU after 3 years to a state school and the workload is about 1/2 of what I was doing at TCU. I would prepare for an extreme increase in the workload you are used to and an extended level of difficulty of the criteria you are graded upon. TCU is also on a plus/minus grading system last I checked, making it even more difficult to get a high GPA. It's an amazing school but you will work for your grades in a way your competing peers at state schools will not need to.

Thank you for the perspective, I'm definitely going to take that into consideration. I just recently learned its rate is so high for that exact same reason. At TCU all of my credits will transfer and any A-'s I have are being converted to A's there, so I think TCU may have actually abolished the plus/ minus system. Do you believe it is possible to have a strong social life while balancing the rigor of pre med curriculum at TCU? I was actually considering joining a fraternity but that's a decision I won't need to make for awhile.

The best piece of advice I can give you is not to get anyone pregnant or get married until you are at least 25 and have set a career plan solidly into motion.
i've been thinking the same haha

The best time to apply is when you are 100% ready and can do so early in the cycle. The only remarkable difference you will encounter by being "late/behind" is a greater maturity your counterparts do not have.

Thank you for the perspective, I'm definitely going to take that into consideration. I just recently learned its rate is so high for that exact same reason. At TCU all of my credits will transfer and any A-'s I have are being converted to A's there, so I think TCU may have actually abolished the plus/ minus system. Do you believe it is possible to have a strong social life while balancing the rigor of pre med curriculum at TCU? I was actually considering joining a fraternity but that's a decision I won't need to make for awhile.

It certainly is possible, I was working full time and taking care of (at the time) 2 kids so I had zero social life. The thing is, the classes are so small at TCU there are essentially no "glide" classes. Everyone has a PhD from a top 10 university and multiple choice tests are about as rare as unicorns. Everything gets graded by the professor and not a TA, so it's held to the standards of Harvard PhD. It may sound as if I'm being a little overboard but I have 2 B's in my 100+ hrs of academic fresh start and 1 of them is directly attributable to half a dozen surface errors (misplaced comma's, syntax errors) in a single paper and the other was due to a professor at TCU who really just wanted you to parrot back what he was saying and not actually be a free thinker like he was advertising. The effort I put into my hard sciences at UNT that has resulted in 100+ as final course grades would probably have gotten me C's at TCU. If you get straight A's there, you deserve to get into med school :D

TCU made some of my medical school classes look like a cake walk. Luckily all the Texas schools know TCU is a grade deflating school, so do well; you will join us on the Wall of fame in Jill's office. If you can join Dr. Chumley's lab or Dr. Minters.

ESOB isn't lieing either, my Ochem class average was a 45 and the median was even lower. A 60 got you an A (they only gave 5 As that year for Ochem 1 & 2).

It certainly is possible, I was working full time and taking care of (at the time) 2 kids so I had zero social life. The thing is, the classes are so small at TCU there are essentially no "glide" classes. Everyone has a PhD from a top 10 university and multiple choice tests are about as rare as unicorns. Everything gets graded by the professor and not a TA, so it's held to the standards of Harvard PhD. It may sound as if I'm being a little overboard but I have 2 B's in my 100+ hrs of academic fresh start and 1 of them is directly attributable to half a dozen surface errors (misplaced comma's, syntax errors) in a single paper and the other was due to a professor at TCU who really just wanted you to parrot back what he was saying and not actually be a free thinker like he was advertising. The effort I put into my hard sciences at UNT that has resulted in 100+ as final course grades would probably have gotten me C's at TCU. If you get straight A's there, you deserve to get into med school :D
You don't sound overboard but that definitely does sound crazy difficult. I'm surprised that TCU as a university doesn't give out the vibe that its a school of such high academic rigor and prestige. When I tell most people or my current professors that I'm going to TCU they usually respond with "isn't that a party school?" It would sure be interesting to see the percent of students that go there as pre med and end up having to switch majors due to the difficulty, but thank you for sharing your experience with me, if I indeed go I will make sure I'm beyond prepared for it.

TCU made some of my medical school classes look like a cake walk. Luckily all the Texas schools know TCU is a grade deflating school, so do well; you will join us on the Wall of fame in Jill's office. If you can join Dr. Chumley's lab or Dr. Minters.

ESOB isn't lieing either, my Ochem class average was a 45 and the median was even lower. A 60 got you an A (they only gave 5 As that year for Ochem 1 & 2).
I definitely believe it. Would you mind sharing the gap you got from TCU to gain admission to med school?

Try joining a student organization, like AMSA, pre SOMA, or tri-beta, where you'll meet other students with similar interests and professional aspirations. They are usually pretty involved with the community and are a great way to get started on your ECs. They are also very resourceful when it comes to plugging you in with professionals and/or graduate and medical school mentors, and that leads to shadowing opportunities and all the reqs you need for your future applications.
Don't rush your college experience just to get things done in four years. The road to medical school is a long process, and, as it was mentioned before, you want to do it right. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The best time to apply is when you are 100% ready and can do so early in the cycle. The only remarkable difference you will encounter by being "late/behind" is a greater maturity your counterparts do not have.
Try joining a student organization, like AMSA, pre SOMA, or tri-beta, where you'll meet other students with similar interests and professional aspirations. They are usually pretty involved with the community and are a great way to get started on your ECs. They are also very resourceful when it comes to plugging you in with professionals and/or graduate and medical school mentors, and that leads to shadowing opportunities and all the reqs you need for your future applications.
Don't rush your college experience just to get things done in four years. The road to medical school is a long process, and, as it was mentioned before, you want to do it right. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for the info, i'll check it out for sure

You don't sound overboard but that definitely does sound crazy difficult. I'm surprised that TCU as a university doesn't give out the vibe that its a school of such high academic rigor and prestige. When I tell most people or my current professors that I'm going to TCU they usually respond with "isn't that a party school?" It would sure be interesting to see the percent of students that go there as pre med and end up having to switch majors due to the difficulty, but thank you for sharing your experience with me, if I indeed go I will make sure I'm beyond prepared for it.

Well, at $50k per semester, there is definitely a component of the student body that there only because their parents are rich; usually alumni of the business school. Those are the party people driving daddy's BMW and taking easier majors. There is also a components of athletes that sadly typically get a free pass. Short of that, the majority of students were at the top of their graduating class and competition is stiff. As difficult as it is though, it's still an amazing school. 99% of the profs are great, the campus is nice, staff is accommodating, etc. I had to utilize Texas's academic fresh start to jettison military training hrs that were awarded at straight B's on a P/F basis, otherwise I would have finished my degree at TCU.