How should I schedule my time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have 3 months to go until Step I. Unfortunately, I'll have classes for 2 of those months (~4weeks for straight board review). I'd like to score 240+, so I know i am gonna need a lot of work. If there is anyone who has had a schedule similar to mine, what are your reccomendations? I am feeling pretty weak on a lot of first year stuff (Biochem, embryo, and Gross see exceptionally distant to me at the moment).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in more or less the same boat - about a month of dedicated board time after class. I can share my tentative plan and some of what I've gleaned from lurking on this board for a few months. Any feedback is appreciated.

Something you might want to think about doing first is some kind of assessment test - our school had one from Kaplan, but you could probably use an NBME, or even a few blocks from UWorld or Qbank. I wouldn't worry about your score; just get a baseline, start to feel out your strengths and weaknesses, and get some idea of where you stand right now.

I've been following the advice in medhacker's post, and have started filling in any conceptual gaps - mostly biochem and molecular bio for me, while still keeping up with the current stuff we're doing in class.

I'm also trying to get 50 questions done a day - untimed, tutor mode and all details I'm not comfortable with are getting annotated into FA. A relatively common strategy among the high scorers seems to be that they completed a LOT of questions and whether they got it right or wrong, they took the time to understand all the details in each question.

Another theme that seems pretty common is that people missed questions that they knew were covered in FA, but they couldn't recall the exact detail needed. So not running out of time to memorize FA seems pretty key. My plan right now is to try to have most of my general review done by the time school ends and have most of the subjects annotated into FA. Then I'll hopefully be able to spend most of the four weeks till my test focusing on memorizing FA, reading Goljan and doing more questions.

You also may want to check out the "Penn Method" - it's set up for about a month of prep

What book are you guys using for Neuro review? I feel like neuro is also a weakness for me. I've used BRS in the past and didn't care for it, and I used Blumenfield with the course - which is good, but perhaps not good for review.

I've been doing QBank and reviewing it. I've done 7% so far and my cumulative is 65%.

Members don't see this ad :)
For neuro:

High yield neuro. For the basics, the pics and radiology. Taking it from HY to FA just to explain what's on FA not adding much more than that, unless I am like real weak on a certain area.

How long did it take you Step 1 gurus to finish the various question banks (Qbank, UW, etc)?

Do you have a link to Lord_Jeebus' prep? Seems like he got a ridiculously high score.

Nope

But it consists of the following (+/- my own customizations):

- Don't go to class: but don't disregard your 2nd year classes just work harder
- Focus on principles and not obsessing over trivia and random facts.
- Build an electronic flash card database from Jan - Mid/May using review books as sources. Do 150 - 400 Qs per day.
- Then do Qbanks 4 weeks before the exam.

Having advised students for 15 years at a US med school, I couldn't help noticing the previous posts and trying to offer some suggestions....

I agree that focusing on understanding concepts rather than trying to memorize a ton of detailed facts is best. Also, if you are still taking systemic Path, use those course topics to reach back to the Anatomy and Physiology relevant to each systemic topic (renal, pulmonary, endocrine, etc.) to get a head start on reviewing. Then, during Pharm, make a major effort to review the physiology relevant to various drug groups so you understand how the drugs act on partivcular receptors and why individual drugs produce the side effects they do. Then, if you get a spring break, use it to fill weakest areas, or if you don't have any super weak areas, use it to review Behavioral Science. This will position you to have the final 4-5 weeks to really focus in on 1. weak spots, and 2. strengthening your test skills by using a question pool. When you use an online pool, it is extremely important to use it well. That means testing on all subjects you have already reviewed, mixing the items in each test block and taking the blocks under timed mode. After testing, really look at what items you missed, in order to identify the topics that you still can't apply to solving questions. Those topics should form your study agenda. Go back to clarify them, then do another cycle of testing and analysis. This cycling between self-testing and focusing in on what you are blowing items on is the key to getting maximum payoff for the time you have to put into USMLE prep. And best of luck to all of you. It's definitely do-able! :love:

Having advised students for 15 years at a US med school, I couldn't help noticing the previous posts and trying to offer some suggestions....

I agree that focusing on understanding concepts rather than trying to memorize a ton of detailed facts is best. Also, if you are still taking systemic Path, use those course topics to reach back to the Anatomy and Physiology relevant to each systemic topic (renal, pulmonary, endocrine, etc.) to get a head start on reviewing. Then, during Pharm, make a major effort to review the physiology relevant to various drug groups so you understand how the drugs act on partivcular receptors and why individual drugs produce the side effects they do. Then, if you get a spring break, use it to fill weakest areas, or if you don't have any super weak areas, use it to review Behavioral Science. This will position you to have the final 4-5 weeks to really focus in on 1. weak spots, and 2. strengthening your test skills by using a question pool. When you use an online pool, it is extremely important to use it well. That means testing on all subjects you have already reviewed, mixing the items in each test block and taking the blocks under timed mode. After testing, really look at what items you missed, in order to identify the topics that you still can't apply to solving questions. Those topics should form your study agenda. Go back to clarify them, then do another cycle of testing and analysis. This cycling between self-testing and focusing in on what you are blowing items on is the key to getting maximum payoff for the time you have to put into USMLE prep. And best of luck to all of you. It's definitely do-able! :love:

:thumbup: Thanks much, Judy! Your advice makes a lot of sense and seems like a good way to focus study time where it is most needed. I appreciate hearing from someone with your experience.

Thanks for the advice, I think it's excellent. I just wish I'd recieved it earlier in my second year.

Judys advice for Pharm is amazing btw
I memorized my way to a 98 in my pharm class but was gettin rocked by UsmleWorld, Kaplan, and NBME pharm questions

after sitting down and working on the physio pathways for pharm, not only is my autonomic physiology near flawless, i can answer most questions without even knowing the drug i need by narrowing choices down, def the way to go

hmm

I have a feeling we've been infiltrated - USMLE fact # 386210 [Certified]

Ms. Judy,

I have taken the Kaplan review course and did USMLEWORLD and was getting high 50's and low 60's i even got 70's on some blocks. I took the exam and got a 173. what am i doing wrong? I am so discouraged! this is my second time to fail it! i got a 172 the first time. what is going on? there is no way i just increased my score by that much. help me! please!!!!

Bumping 'cause I'm now in the same boat you were in surebreC. ~4 weeks out from the test, and wondering how I should use my remaining time.

I've tried to do what I could while finishing up 2nd year: done about half of UW so far, 20 % of Qbank. I took NBME #4 a couple weeks ago and got a 580. Been annotating first aid and using Goljan during 2nd year.

At this point I'm not really sure how to spend my remaining time. I tend to be pretty scattered in my studying and I could see myself jumping around a lot if I don't have a schedule. On the other hand, I feel like I have certain specific weaknesses and if I just divide up my time among all subjects, I may end up spending too much time on my strengths and too little on my weaknesses.

Any words of wisdom? Should I focus on questions and reviewing my mistakes, ala Judy's advice above? Or should I divide up my time to do a review of each subject, even if it's only a day or two? Just focus on First Aid? :confused: Thanks for your time.