How to address recs for both MD/PhD and MD application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Si Se Puede

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should my references show their support if I am planning to apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs?

It doesn't seem that they should address it as "I enthusiastically support John Doe for medical school" or "....for admission to MD/PhD."

Members don't see this ad.

You wouldn't apply to both programs at one school.

I applied to both types of programs (top MD research schools, MD/PhD programs with my area of research) and had separate letters for the type of program. My MD/PhD application letters were mostly research-focused, whereas my MD ones were focused on the clinical side. If you have a few people willing to write either one, I'd suggest asking them if they would be willing to write two letters--one focused on research, one on medical school/clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
You wouldn't apply to both programs at one school.

I applied to both types of programs (top MD research schools, MD/PhD programs with my area of research) and had separate letters for the type of program. My MD/PhD application letters were mostly research-focused, whereas my MD ones were focused on the clinical side. If you have a few people willing to write either one, I'd suggest asking them if they would be willing to write two letters--one focused on research, one on medical school/clinical.
Huh? Lots of schools ask if you still want to be considered for MD-only admission, and as I understand it, a lot of applicants say yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Hi, I'm Si Se Puede. Thanks for agreeing to write my letter of recommendation for medical school. Ideally, I want to get into a MD Ph.D program, but those are really really hard to get into, so could you also write some letters for just MD programs? Thanks a lot."

@LilMick Thanks for the reply. The two letter approach sounds good to me. Worst case scenario, I guess they could just address it as "To the admissions committee...I support...for admission to your program..."

I was thinking of applying to 2/3 of the top tier programs on my list as MD/PhD and 1/3 as MD-only so the letters would be viewed by both MD and MD/PhD programs.

Thanks for the very mature and helpful comment, Doug.

Have your important references write 2 letters each, one that recommends you for MD and one that recommends you for md/phd. Then send the md letters to the md schools, and and the md/phd letters to the md/phd schools. At least that's what I'm doing this cycle. I am applying to both types of programs.

Keep in mind that AMCAS can only take 10 letters max ( can't go above, I've tried), so be selective abour who you want to write 2 letters about you

In all likelihood, your LOR writer has had to do this before. I would say the majority of MD Ph.D applicants are applying to MD-only programs as well. This isn't their first rodeo.

Huh? Lots of schools ask if you still want to be considered for MD-only admission, and as I understand it, a lot of applicants say yes.

That is true, but you are not applying to both programs. If the MD/PhD committee says no interview, your application is forwarded to the MD-only committee for them to consider you. It's not a separate application.

Right, but at that point, the school already knows that you applied MD/PhD and it's not misleading.

We've seen a couple MD-only applicants who have had LORs supporting their admission to MD/PhD programs, when it was clear they weren't applying to ours (or perhaps their letter writer got confused or wrote the wrong thing). I wouldn't say it hurts their app, but you have to wonder, if they get an acceptance to an MD/PhD program elsewhere, they're not likely to choose our program.

I would recommend having the research people write two letters, and then just be extra careful to assign the correct one to MD programs vs MD/PhD programs.