How to ask for money from your top school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyrabbit0207

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so ive been accepted to 5 really good schools. one is a private school, howeverr the private school is my top choice, the school, programs, fit, city, and I feel like i'll be genuinely happy and comfortable there. As a minority, comfort is a big factor in my decision process. I already have a large circle of friends who live in that city, friends who are going to the private schools law school and neighboring med and dental schools. I have also been chosen for the schools pre-matric program. point blank, i love this school.

However, the school is ridiculously expensive. On the schools fin aid website and during the interview they state that they have 20k scholarships that are need based. I dont know the universities cut off for need based qualification.

but all in all, How should I ask for financial assistance when my other schools havent given me aid. do i have any leverage? my stats were ok. my gpa high, my mcat no so high, but im a URM (black) female and the schools are non-hbcus.

Members don't see this ad.

Call their financial aid department and simply explain.

---
You are by far my first choice for XYZ reasons, but my cost of attendance here would be ABC times as much as the other schools that I have been accepted at. Are there scholarships or other financial assistance avenues that you employ to help students like me?
--

I would avoid talking about being a URM and I would avoid talking about friends being a significant reason for wanting to go to their school. Comfort is a big factor for everyone, not just minorities. Everyone wants to be around their friends.

Reactions: 1 users
Call their financial aid department and simply explain.

---
You are by far my first choice for XYZ reasons, but my cost of attendance here would be ABC times as much as the other schools that I have been accepted at. Are there scholarships or other financial assistance avenues that you employ to help students like me?
--

I would avoid talking about being a URM and I would avoid talking about friends being a significant reason for wanting to go to their school. Comfort is a big factor for everyone, not just minorities. Everyone wants to be around their friends.

Thanks, should I request to speak to someone thats a head of financial aid. Im worried if I speak to someone who works at the desk, i might just get a generic (vague) answer.

Btw I didn't mean that minorities are the only ones that want to be comfortable, i was saying, it was harder for me to find a school that really pushes for diversity or has many ppl who are like myself that wasn't an hbcu

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone in the financial aid office will be able to help you with this. You are not a 'special' case that requires any more attention than someone else. If there are funds available, they will help you out. Immediately going over the heads of people will not help you.

Did you get the contact info for someone at the office apart from the generic admissions office e-mail address? I would rather send an e-mail over a call despite the impersonal touch as it's easier to make sure the info gets passed along to the correct person with ease.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, should I request to speak to someone thats a head of financial aid. Im worried if I speak to someone who works at the desk, i might just get a generic (vague) answer.

Btw I didn't mean that minorities are the only ones that want to be comfortable, i was saying, it was harder for me to find a school that really pushes for diversity or has many ppl who are like myself that wasn't an hbcu
Another option is to ask for the medical school financial aid officer (maybe they gave you their contact information in your school paperwork on interview day or with the acceptance letter). My school has one, and she works right beside our med student lounge for easy access.