How to become "perfect" in Verbal Reasoning? (VR "15"-scorers, get in here!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So verbal reasoning is definitely my strongest section. I have been averaging a very consistent 12 in VR's from AAMC FL, Kaplan, EK, TPRH.

I seem to always get THREE questions wrong.

I can't seem to make any sort of generalization about the question I got wrong. The correct answer always seems obvious when I review my exam.

How do I progress from consistently making 3 mistakes...to 2...and then to 1...and then to ZERO ?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep a list of the questions you are getting wrong. Run that list by a tutor of equal or better skill and/or ask SDN. If you can't find the pattern, maybe someone else can.

Seems to me that either there is pattern that you just don't see at the moment, or you have a list (albeit a short one) of skills to fine tune. The tricky part is to identify what those are so you can work on them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

It's really hard to meet people who are scoring that well on forums.
Can you provide feedback how your scoring on TPR passages as well as Kaplan FLs? Perhaps you've taken some Kaplan VR Section Tests as well? How do you find your performance on those relative to AAMC practice tests?

Thanks,

Full disclosure: I didn't score a 15 VR on the MCAT...I hit it on two practice tests, but not on test day.

If I'm still qualified to speak, I think that Gauss44's strategy is on the right track. You may notice, however, that there's no consistent pattern to the questions that you're missing.

In this case, it becomes a matter of becoming more consistent on those 3-4 questions that are VERY difficult on the verbal section. Generally, this is best accomplished by getting very strong at eliminating bad answer choices (usually two per question) and then paying close attention to the differences in the implications of the two remaining choices. Those that are more consistent with other information in the passage are usually the correct choices.

If you've got a LOT of time between now and test day, look into taking some upper level courses in linguistics, philosophy of language, or semantic logic. There actually ARE reasons why one answer is correct on those difficult questions, but they're so esoteric that they're not worth studying for most test takers. They could help, though; and I think that they're interesting subjects in their own right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also amazingly consistent at hitting 11-12. If there's one thing on the MCAT in which I call myself a true and absolute expert, it's getting 11 or 12 on verbal.

to OP, if your are consistantly at 12 for VR, and it is as you say your strongest section, then I would think your time is better spent on improving the other two sections for a more balanced score, rather then trying for perfect in one section. Looking at WAMC graph of scores of those accepted once you score 36 or above the acceptance rate is about flat, not improving with the extra points. And a balanced score of say 32 or whatever, is better than getting the same 32 by having perfect in one section and low in another section. I scored a 12 verbal and 37 total and with my 4.0 gpa, I am over the range (for MD only) of many schools I am interested in, though I am trying for md/phd so they have a higher range. I have heard low and mid tier schools do not want to waste an interview spot on someone with too high of stats since they figure you are going to turn them down and go to a top school, not sure how true that is, but it does make sense. Though I would not do that and am not applying to most top schools. Using hindsight I should have thrown a few classes to get a 3.9 to better fit some schools top range.
you have verbal down with consistant 12s, if the other sections are lower then work on those.

So verbal reasoning is definitely my strongest section. I have been averaging a very consistent 12 in VR's from AAMC FL, Kaplan, EK, TPRH.

I seem to always get THREE questions wrong.

I can't seem to make any sort of generalization about the question I got wrong. The correct answer always seems obvious when I review my exam.

How do I progress from consistently making 3 mistakes...to 2...and then to 1...and then to ZERO ?

Full disclosure: I didn't score a 15 VR on the MCAT...I hit it on two practice tests, but not on test day.

If I'm still qualified to speak, I think that Gauss44's strategy is on the right track. You may notice, however, that there's no consistent pattern to the questions that you're missing.

In this case, it becomes a matter of becoming more consistent on those 3-4 questions that are VERY difficult on the verbal section. Generally, this is best accomplished by getting very strong at eliminating bad answer choices (usually two per question) and then paying close attention to the differences in the implications of the two remaining choices. Those that are more consistent with other information in the passage are usually the correct choices.

If you've got a LOT of time between now and test day, look into taking some upper level courses in linguistics, philosophy of language, or semantic logic. There actually ARE reasons why one answer is correct on those difficult questions, but they're so esoteric that they're not worth studying for most test takers. They could help, though; and I think that they're interesting subjects in their own right.

Funny that your name is Peirce and you are here extolling the virtues of linguistic philosophy, you were made for this moment

to OP, if your are consistantly at 12 for VR, and it is as you say your strongest section, then I would think your time is better spent on improving the other two sections for a more balanced score, rather then trying for perfect in one section. Looking at WAMC graph of scores of those accepted once you score 36 or above the acceptance rate is about flat, not improving with the extra points. And a balanced score of say 32 or whatever, is better than getting the same 32 by having perfect in one section and low in another section. I scored a 12 verbal and 37 total and with my 4.0 gpa, I am over the range (for MD only) of many schools I am interested in, though I am trying for md/phd so they have a higher range. I have heard low and mid tier schools do not want to waste an interview spot on someone with too high of stats since they figure you are going to turn them down and go to a top school, not sure how true that is, but it does make sense. Though I would not do that and am not applying to most top schools. Using hindsight I should have thrown a few classes to get a 3.9 to better fit some schools top range.
you have verbal down with consistant 12s, if the other sections are lower then work on those.

That is true for many schools... If you ECs are good, you should target mostly top 20 and a few mid tier for safety...