How to boost my application for heme/onc next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have just started PGY2 and will be applying for fellowship at this time next year. Can anyone give me advice on what I should be doing this year to boost my application?

- US allopathic grad
- 230 step 1, 220 step 2, haven't taken step 3 yet
- Currently at mid-tier academic university medicine program
- Home program has a well-regarded NCI-designated cancer center
- 2 first-authored case reports during residency so far
- 5 co-authored publications -some in heme/onc, some not- during medical school
- Currently working on a clinical project, anticipate a first-authored review paper, ASCO presentation next year, and co-author on actual paper
- Decent evals, nothing amazing but nothing bad
- Pretty good relationship with current heme/onc program director

The thing that I feel like will hinder me the most is my step scores, especially my horrible step 2 ck score (I originally had planned to go into a specialty that did not care about step 2 ck so I blew off the test). In terms of research, I honestly don't know how so many people on this forum and from previous years have so much research (like 10+ pubs and national conferences). At most and considering the best case scenario, I could potentially get 1 first authored review paper, 1 national conference abstract at ASCO next year, and being listed as a middle co-author for a paper that might get accepted somewhere. This is the absolute BEST case scenario and I highly doubt all 3 will occur.

Considering all of this, what do I need to do this year to increase my chances of landing a heme/onc spot. I do not have any geographical limitations. However, I would like to go to a program that has a NCI-designated cancer center. I would love to stay at my current institution but would also like to try my chances elsewhere as well. Thank you in advance for any advice you could offer!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user