How to contact a doctor for shadowing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to start shadowing this winter break but have yet to find a good way to get in contact with a doctor recommendations will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried your own physician?

Where I work, it would be virtually impossible for someone to just ask, if they had no connection to the hospital, but coincidentally, I've seen (2ce), pre-med family chatting up the doctor on rounds about possibly seeing if they can shadow them at some point. Not sure how good an idea it was...but hey you've got to be bold.

Also, HIPAA guidelines being considered, you might need hospital/clinic approval to get started. Try your local hospital/clinic volunteer office and ask them how people in the past have shadowed.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed a few physicians over the summer (who I found via google) and most of them let me shadow them. Be bold--the worst they can do is tell you no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of contacting hospitals and clinics, call private practices. Hospitals usually have very strict regulations regarding shadowing activities (many flat-out refuse to allow ANY shadowing), but at private practices, the doctor in charge makes all the decisions.

I once had a dentist offer me to shadow her :D

On a serious note, you can see whether any of your relatives or even friends could recommend you someone that they know.

Of course, you can always just contact physicians yourself even if you have no connections to them.

Last edited:
if there's a particular specialty you want to learn more about, ask your doctor who he knows and mention you want to shadow. there's a good chance he/she will enthusiastically offer suggestions.
i shadowed a pathologist a couple of years ago that I found in the phone book. I actually wrote a letter asking if they had any place for labtech/extra help/volunteer in any capacity. A very nice histology tech wrote back and asked if I wanted to shadow him and the path docs.

i want to start shadowing this winter break but have yet to find a good way to get in contact with a doctor recommendations will be appreciated
Do you volunteer or work at a teaching hospital? If so, you can contact some of their doctors and ask them to let you shadow them. I emailed a bunch of doctors at the hospital I volunteer at and I got a couple of responses. I was able to shadow them and their residents and fellows.

Do you volunteer or work at a teaching hospital? If so, you can contact some of their doctors and ask them to let you shadow them. I emailed a bunch of doctors at the hospital I volunteer at and I got a couple of responses. I was able to shadow them and their residents and fellows.
I currently do not

Volunteer at a hospital. The volunteer coordinator knew that I needed to shadow a doctor or two to get hours to put on my app so she got me into some surgeries and got me in contact with a few doctors.

Also, if you volunteer in the ER during a quieter time, the doctor in charge will most likely let you follow him/her around. That's how I racked up my hours. And I had no previous contacts in medicine other than my PCP.