How to do a DIY Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to graduate with a horrible GPA and won't even meet the cutoffs for post-bacc programs. I understand that DIY is the last option remaining and am willing to dedicate myself fully to this. I just don't know how to go about doing this. Do I just register for classes as a non-degree and non-matriculated student from a random school? Should I retake all classes that I've gotten Cs in for in the pre-med track and turn them to As? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you register as non-degree you will have to pay cash or find private loans to cover tuition. Is your GPA going to be high enough for you to be accepted into another degree seeking program?

You're also going to need to be able to answer for why there is a drastic turnaround, assuming you can pull it off. Think carefully about that, because it may inform you about what you should do next.

If you register as non-degree you will have to pay cash or find private loans to cover tuition. Is your GPA going to be high enough for you to be accepted into another degree seeking program?

You're also going to need to be able to answer for why there is a drastic turnaround, assuming you can pull it off. Think carefully about that, because it may inform you about what you should do next.

Thanks for your reply. Towards the final few semesters I was able to have a much higher GPA due to actually dedicating myself to the work, prior to that I never showed up to classes nor studied. I don't understand what you mean by another degree seeking program.

Members don't see this ad :)
That means you have to declare a major and be working toward an academic goal that you do not already hold if you want federal loans. If you already have B.S., you would have to apply to a university and declare a B.A. major to qualify for federal aid.

That means you have to declare a major and be working toward an academic goal that you do not already hold if you want federal loans. If you already have B.S., you would have to apply to a university and declare a B.A. major to qualify for federal aid.

As a non-degree student, wouldn't I just retake pre-med courses I've done poorly along with extracurriculars, take the MCAT and apply to DOs? I understand a non-degree student would not receive financial aid. I don't think I can apply to universities for a degree with as low a GPA as I have.

You'd have to contact an individual institution to find out their policies, but often they won't hold seats for people who are not degree seeking.

For instance, often employees of an institution have a tuition waiver, but cannot register for a class until after the first day of that class. Some schools have similar policies for non-degree seekers.

And honestly, if your GPA is that low, re-taking the classes might not help enough. Are you really going to get your GPA up to 3.5 or near that?

You'd have to contact an individual institution to find out their policies, but often they won't hold seats for people who are not degree seeking.

For instance, often employees of an institution have a tuition waiver, but cannot register for a class until after the first day of that class. Some schools have similar policies for non-degree seekers.

ok, but wouldn't pursuing another degree be very time consuming? I'm taking classes within the New York city region so there are quite a lot of schools. My GPA has been 3.5+ for the last 2 semesters, I do plan on continuing this trend and doing everything right this time around.

Medical school is pretty time consuming too. Again, you need to contact individual institutions and find out what you are and are not eligible to do.