How to do Uworld by system (MSK and Neuro)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tympany

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do Uworld by system and it works well with subjects like Psych, Renal, etc, but I noticed some categories aren't there.

How did you guys split up the sub-divisions if I just wanted to do MSK questions one week? Or just neurology questions? Those seem like the 2 big systems that are organized in First Aid, but not specifically in Uworld like the other systems.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to do Uworld by system and it works well with subjects like Psych, Renal, etc, but I noticed some categories aren't there.

How did you guys split up the sub-divisions if I just wanted to do MSK questions one week? Or just neurology questions? Those seem like the 2 big systems that are organized in First Aid, but not specifically in Uworld like the other systems.

I checked all of the basic science boxes (forgot exactly what UWorld calls them). For MSK, I then checked the Derm and Rheum/Sports Med section. I got some questions that were not directly from the FA MSK chapter but overall it was good enough for me. The way I did it is I memorized the FA chapter, skimmed through Pathoma, and then did 40 questions just to get a rough idea of how much I was retaining.

Medicine is all integrated, we can't expect to learn topics in silos. While it's helpful to do that initially, eventually we have to integrate the information. To give you an example of this, on my first pass of FA I learned in the GI chapter about hepatic encephalopathy associated with increased ammonia levels. Then in the neuro chapter, I memorized that astrocytes are involved in "removal of excess neurotransmitter". At this point, these were two completely unrelated facts in my head. On my second pass and with the help of UWorld, I put it together that increased ammonia from liver failure accumulates in astrocytes and prevents release of glutamine leading to hepatic encephalopathy. This is the power of UWorld + actively thinking about what you're reading in FA.

Last edited: