"Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have one brief question. I have one C+ in organic chemistry (lol). I have an overall 3.9. When I get asked this question, do I have to explain the C+? I feel like it just happened during COVID when our class randomly switched online (it was a lab and that made no sense). I don't really have a way to explain it. It just sort of happened and I moved on and had a 4.0 every other semester.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don’t think a single C+ is worth explaining. Not worth drawing negative attention to your app for something not super serious. Especially if it is just a single C+.

Don't mention it. It was organic chemistry (the toughest course for almost everyone) and it was just one blip. In some ways, it shows you aren't a perfectionist which is a good thing to show an adcom. Perfectionists tend to crash and burn in med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is one C+. I bet you there are plenty of people that wish they had a 3.9. Breathe my friend, you are ok. And if they do ask you, I agree, just be honest. Last thing you want to do is turn a mole hill into a mountain by getting anxious during the interview and thinking about how to "cover" for your one C+. Honesty, my friend.

It is one C+. I bet you there are plenty of people that wish they had a 3.9. Breathe my friend, you are ok. And if they do ask you, I agree, just be honest. Last thing you want to do is turn a mole hill into a mountain by getting anxious during the interview and thinking about how to "cover" for your one C+. Honesty, my friend.
It was like an optional secondary question so I wasn’t sure if they wanted me to address it!