How to find a research project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaWheelie87

Palabra a tu madre.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This probably sounds really stupid, but how exactly do you join a research project at your university. I have never seen any information posted at my school, nor can I find anything on our website. Do I need to approach a professor or something? Maybe And also- when do the projects take place? I volunteer in the summers and would like to do research during regular fall and spring semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

This probably sounds really stupid, but how exactly do you join a research project at your university. I have never seen any information posted on my school, nor can I find anything on our website. Do I need to approach a professor or something? Maybe And also- when do the projects take place? I volunteer in the summers and would like to do research during regular fall and spring semesters.

The best way is to just start asking professors you know about their research...then say you are interested in getting involved in research and need help finding someone to do reserach for and see if they can help you

or u can straight up ask them, or ask the undergraduate advisor if u got one. but note some of these profs are haha how should i put this, very very very demanding

Members don't see this ad :)
This probably sounds really stupid, but how exactly do you join a research project at your university. I have never seen any information posted at my school, nor can I find anything on our website. Do I need to approach a professor or something? Maybe And also- when do the projects take place? I volunteer in the summers and would like to do research during regular fall and spring semesters.

I know that you said that you that you volunteer during the summers, but here is something that I did. It is sponsored by the NSF so you get to do research and get paid. Plus, you could have the opportunity to work at Hawaii, for example.

Enjoy: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

I know that you said that you that you volunteer during the summers, but here is something that I did. It is sponsored by the NSF so you get to do research and get paid. Plus, you could have the opportunity to work at Hawaii, for example.

Enjoy: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

I glanced at the website and will definately keep it in mind, but you would probably have to have some kind of experience in research before they just let you run off on your own, right?

my major required me to do a research project under the direction of one of the prefessors in the science department in order to get honours distinction. it was a full year honours project that required a presentation at the end of the year in front of faculty members! so basically, the professors had to put up with me annoying them all the time because they had no choice! I got a good LOR out of it though.

you can always approach your professors about helping them with their research because they're always looking for cheap labour. by cheap I mean you get paid nothing.

I glanced at the website and will definately keep it in mind, but you would probably have to have some kind of experience in research before they just let you run off on your own, right?

When I applied, I had no experience, and I got lucky with some good letters of rec. and got the job in Hawaii, although mine was Chemistry, not biology. It all depends on the program, the essay that you write, and of course, like all of this, luck. All the best.