How to get higher quality LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have time for more research experience. The people I did it with years ago were grad students who have since graduated.

How do I make the best of getting LORs from people who have simply taught me in class? I talk A LOT in class and get noticed that way but it's not the same as having someone work with you everyday for months. What do people do in these situations? Do you think an Independent Study (i.e. write a lit review and meet every so often to discuss literature on that topic) would help much?

Barring research experience or anything that would take time I don't currently have, what can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask now if they'd be willing to write letters. You can also ask the former grad students. A lot of schools started leaving accounts open after students graduated so you can still contact them.

If they say yes, write outlines and "rough drafts" of your letters for your professors. They don't have a lot of time to come up with a letter from scratch, so it will probably be a form letter if you provide them with nothing. So write a GOOD rough draft for them so they don't have to do much work. Then provide your outline, "rough draft", application, and CV for them so they have plenty of reference material. Additionally, provide instructions for how to upload to AMCAS/committee and give a reasonable deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have time for more research experience. The people I did it with years ago were grad students who have since graduated.

How do I make the best of getting LORs from people who have simply taught me in class? I talk A LOT in class and get noticed that way but it's not the same as having someone work with you everyday for months. What do people do in these situations? Do you think an Independent Study (i.e. write a lit review and meet every so often to discuss literature on that topic) would help much?

Barring research experience or anything that would take time I don't currently have, what can I do?
The best LORs come from organic relationships developed over time between people sharing a common interest, working together on long term projects, or just "clicking." Letters from people who only know you superficially, or not at all, are going to pale in comparison, by definition.

It's not the end of the world, since you do not need spectacular letters to be successful. But you simply cannot game this and obtain "higher quality" LORs by arranging some last minute activity with a view towards obtaining a letter. The adcoms see literally several thousand of these each cycle. You're unlikely to get higher quality LORs without "doing something that will take time you don't currently have."

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask now if they'd be willing to write letters. You can also ask the former grad students. A lot of schools started leaving accounts open after students graduated so you can still contact them.

If they say yes, write outlines and "rough drafts" of your letters for your professors. They don't have a lot of time to come up with a letter from scratch, so it will probably be a form letter if you provide them with nothing. So write a GOOD rough draft for them so they don't have to do much work. Then provide your outline, "rough draft", application, and CV for them so they have plenty of reference material. Additionally, provide instructions for how to upload to AMCAS/committee and give a reasonable deadline.

That's a good idea. I have heard if we have the professor co-sign it's fine. (I don't want to ask that professor because, even though she was my PI of record, we almost never saw each other.)

What do people do in these situations?
If possible, you could always ask professors to meet outside of class time to grab coffee or the like. You can also bring up potential LOR if conversation goes well!

FWIW, this is also where committee letters can shine. I've written some strong committee letters that take experiences with the applicant from 8 or more faculty and use it to showcase a consistent pattern over the applicants history.

There are a number of students who for whatever reason had good (short, non-intensive) interactions with faculty: maybe they were in a research lab and worked primarily with grad students. Maybe they took very few repeat classes from any one instructor.

Those are the students that (in my experience) can be great candidates for a committee (composite) letter rather than relying on strong individual letters. Lots of people can say something positive, just no one can talk comprehensively.

It depends on your school, but I regularly work with students a number of years out of undergrad, so it might be worth asking.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to office hours and show genuine interest.

Disclaimer: this works best if you have a base level of charisma. If socially awkward it can backfire

Reactions: 1 users
Office hours. Also, if the professor has an open door policy, just stick your head in and say hi every month or too. Mention something you saw on the news or heard on a podcast that reminded you of something the professor covered in class. Be friendly and say "hi" if you see the professor outside or at a campus event. I've heard these kinds of interactions be mentioned positively in LORs.