Improve LORs? Or ok for reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClashRoyaleKing

Medical School Applicant
Reaction score
Hello. I'm putting together some of my primary application for the 2024-2025 cycle and am wondering if my letters of recommendation seem sufficient. I'm having trouble reconnecting with one professor and my MD letter writer no longer works for the company. I'm wondering what the general consensus for my letters is.

I plan to reach out to the medical schools I plan to apply to in the next cycle to see if they accept "old" letters. I will also cross-reference with each school's MSAR profile.

• Chem Professor (Agreed to update).
• Anatomy Professor (Agreed to update).
• Non-science Professor (Ghosted so far, sent follow-up. Letter would be from June 2023).
• Program Director at clinical job (Agreed to update, already received).
• MD letter writer/clinical job/shadow (No longer works for company. Letter would be from June 2023).

• I have worked with/shadowed a PMHNP who I am considering asking for LOR. They received their MD in a foreign country but are practicing as a PMHNP in the US. Would this be a good person to ask for a letter in the upcoming cycle? I believe this letter would be very strong since I am currently working with them and have a good relationship with them right now.
• Psychiatrist who I used to shadow/still works at the company I still work at. He is difficult to contact but this letter would be strong.

Which letters would be the best to use?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should keep the 3 professors just to cover any requirements. The clinical job program coordinator is also good choice. As for the other 1, I think that's up to you as to which you believe would be strongest.

agree with above. I think a clinical letter (ideally MD) is important if you have a good relationship with them.

I think you should keep the 3 professors just to cover any requirements. The clinical job program coordinator is also good choice. As for the other 1, I think that's up to you as to which you believe would be strongest.
No issues with having the one non-science letter not being updated (potentially)? Should I not reuse the one MD letter from this cycle?

I’ll ask the other MD tomorrow to see if they can write a LOR for me. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
No issues with having the one non-science letter not being updated (potentially)? Should I not reuse the one MD letter from this cycle?

I’ll ask the other MD tomorrow to see if they can write a LOR for me. Thanks for the help.
I think the big thing is that many schools (afaik) ask for 1 from a non-science prof; my pre-health committee explicitly recommended we get one for our composite letter

Hello. I'm putting together some of my primary application for the 2024-2025 cycle and am wondering if my letters of recommendation seem sufficient. I'm having trouble reconnecting with one professor and my MD letter writer no longer works for the company. I'm wondering what the general consensus for my letters is.

I plan to reach out to the medical schools I plan to apply to in the next cycle to see if they accept "old" letters. I will also cross-reference with each school's MSAR profile.

• Chem Professor (Agreed to update).
• Anatomy Professor (Agreed to update).
• Non-science Professor (Ghosted so far, sent follow-up. Letter would be from June 2023).
• Program Director at clinical job (Agreed to update, already received).
• MD letter writer/clinical job/shadow (No longer works for company. Letter would be from June 2023).

• I have worked with/shadowed a PMHNP who I am considering asking for LOR. They received their MD in a foreign country but are practicing as a PMHNP in the US. Would this be a good person to ask for a letter in the upcoming cycle? I believe this letter would be very strong since I am currently working with them and have a good relationship with them right now.
• Psychiatrist who I used to shadow/still works at the company I still work at. He is difficult to contact but this letter would be strong.

Which letters would be the best to use?
You’re gonna have such a killer reapplication dude
Really seems like you really understand admissions a whole lot more based on your posts/comments etc

agree with above. I think a clinical letter (ideally MD) is important if you have a good relationship with them.
There are very few MD schools that request an "clinical letter."
The rest may tolerate them, but "shadowing" letters are a waste of everyone's time (for MD).
DO's seem to love a DO letter, though!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The rest may tolerate them, but "shadowing" letters are a waste of everyone's time (for MD).
This is reassuring!

Agree that they don't request it, but I do hear it being occasionally brought up around during adcom meetings and rank meetings too (at least for the places I've served on committee), but the key factor is that there is often something else suspect that causes people to bring it up. For example, an individual who has stellar marks but doesn't demonstrate that they've really explored the medical profession as a career choice.

And apologies-didn't read everything correctly-if it is only a shadowing letter, that would be a pretty useless letter. I think the OP mentioned a few MD/clinical letters that involved work, for which I felt would be a reasonable letter to get.

I reached out to both the PMHNP and attending psychiatrist for letters of recommendation. I didn't expect both to reply so quickly, both are willing to write letters. I'll get both (because it would be awkward to retract), but I have a question. The MD that wrote the letter last year wanted me to write most of the letter and they would add the final touches. Would it be weird if I provided the same partial letter/template to my other writers?

I reached out to both the PMHNP and attending psychiatrist for letters of recommendation. I didn't expect both to reply so quickly, both are willing to write letters. I'll get both (because it would be awkward to retract), but I have a question. The MD that wrote the letter last year wanted me to write most of the letter and they would add the final touches. Would it be weird if I provided the same partial letter/template to my other writers?
You don’t want them all to sound the same!

Give them the AAMC LOR guidelines.

Suggest ideas consistent with the professional competencies.

• Love