How to get into an M.D PhD program ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HSIN43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a freshman at Saint Peters University and I recently attended one of the APSA meeting at Mount Sinai. I have done research in the past for two years at Rutgers University. One year working on cytochrome P450 and its inhibitors. The other year was working on MCF-7 cells and their dormancy. My goal is to get into any M.D PhD program because getting into that alone is just amazing. My reach though is for the Harvard MD PhD program. At the meeting a head person of the M.D Phd program recommended that I should transfer schools. I am afraid that I will excel at the university I am currently attending ,but because it is not known compared to many other Ivy's I will not get accepted to the M.D Phd program. I was thinking to transfer to Rutgers N.B or Rutgers Newark due to the fact that it is in state. What do you guys recommend should I apply to a different university or stay and excel ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was encouraged to transfer from my no-name state school undergrad by some. I don't think it mattered for me. That said, there was no way I could have transferred back then. I did not have the resources to live anywhere but close to home.

I was encouraged to transfer from my no-name state school undergrad by some. I don't think it mattered for me. That said, there was no way I could have transferred back then. I did not have the resources to live anywhere but close to home.
So any M.D PhD program is not going to choose someone that is in a state school over someone that is in a no-name state school having the same qualifications, grades, and MCAT's ? The thing is the university I am attending now is close to my house and I have already settled and created relationships with professors . At the same time I am afraid that I am not being challenged as much as if I were to go to Rutgers. Especially if I want to get into this program being that you have to be "the cream of the crop "

Aiming for Harvard is truly a stretch. The undergrad schools that sent students to Harvard's MSTP over the past five years are:
Harvard 20
MIT, Yale 7 each
Stanford 5
Princeton, Williams 3 each
Brown, Case Western, Duke, WashU 2 each
Amherst, BC, Bowdoin, Brown, Columbia, Emory, Northeastern, Penn, Pitt, UMBC, UPR-Rio Piedras, Western Michigan, and Willamette, 1 each.

You may be the equivalent of that Western Michigan or Willamette student and get into Harvard, but you should be more realistic about your chances. To have any hope of getting into Harvard or any of the other top programs, you should spend summers doing research at those schools & plan on taking a gap year or two after graduation. Even that will not guarantee anything, since as much as half of the applicant pool applies after they completed their undergrad training.

In that same 5-year period, St. Peters sent no one to MD-PhD and Rutgers sent 19; 8 stayed in New Jersey, 2 went to Penn, 2 to Mt. Sinai, and one each to AECOM, UNC, Mayo, Pitt, Penn State, USC and UNC. Princeton sent 36 to MD-PhD programs.