How to get paid as a postdoc in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapy_Rhapsody

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning to move to Oregon and join a group private practice. I will still need about 4 months of postdoc hours before getting licensed once I move to Oregon. Can I get on insurance panels as a postdoc resident? I'm willing to work with kids and I primarily want to work with adults. I don't offer any specialized services, unless mindfulness groups count as specialized. The owner of the group practice is a psychiatrist so he can't supervise me according to the Oregon Board of Psychology because only psychologists can supervise postdocs. But do you think I could still bill insurance under his license so we could get reimbursed for my services? I would have to find a psychologist to supervise me outside this practice.
Also, any recommendations for the percentage of the fee I should ask to keep while I'm a postdoc? Should we split my fees 50% - 50% at this point and I can ask for 60% - 40% once I'm licensed? No clue how to navigate this stuff.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have time to write a comprehensive response right now, but I would re-think your plans carefully. Your post-doc hours won't count without psychologist supervision and you can't bill under a psychiatrist. You also may not be able to bill under psychologist supervision depending on state and insurance rules. Also, why only 4 months of supervision? Most states have specific rules on post-doc hours and this includes the number of hours. You may not get full-time hours at a private practice, especially without insurance. So be prepared for a longer period of post-doc hours. I would speak to the Oregon BOP and get details to make sure you are in compliance for accruing hours at this practice.

Oregon requires both 12 months of postdoc supervision and minimum 1,500 hours, last I heard. Are you coming in with prior postdoc hours that the Board is going to approve?

I would advise you to get some clarity on the legal requirements regarding supervision and billing options available to you first, then financially, do some thinking about what % numbers make sense for you and your situation before diving into this.

If you are a postdoc, there are additional factors to consider ethically/legally regarding financial arrangements as well.

Yes, sorry for not explaining that. I am coming in with about 8 months of postdoc hours from a different postdoc internship. So 8 + 4 will end up being 12 and it will end up being about 1500 total even if I only see about 15 clients per week for 4 months because I've banked a lot of hours in the 8 month internship. I realize it may end up being like 5 months if I can't get many clients quickly. The private practice I'm looking at is in a rural area, reportedly has a 20 client waitlist and is turning away clients regularly because their caseloads are full. So I'm thinking I'll get some clients in a decent amount of time. The Oregon board has already approved the 8 month internship.
Where can I go to get clarity on the billing options? Should I just call insurance companies who are well-liked and commonly used in the area I'm moving to to see if they accept postdocs on to panels?
Thank you very much!