How to get to the top.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Novakaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I speak for many people here when I post this.

I do very well in class. I consistently master the material and understand it just as well, if not better than anyone else- but I'm always a notch below the top performers. For those of you who have been in my spot, what have you done to get to that next level?

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it matter? After a certain point, it's just whoever is better at taking tests.

There is an inverse correlation between one's affinity for sleep and their performance in class. Ask yourself if it's worth that next level.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I consistently master the material and understand it just as well, if not better than anyone else...

I'm always a notch below the top performers.

Those two statements seem incongruous to me.

Reactions: 3 users

I do very well in class. I consistently master the material and understand it just as well, if not better than anyone else- but I'm always a notch below the top performers. For those of you who have been in my spot, what have you done to get to that next level?

You really don't want to be that type of person. In my experience, the top scorers in the class are either those who got lucky and was tested on all the right material that they were strong in as well as interpreted the question in the right way because they had enough sleep and remembered to include certain details because they happened to think of it at the time or THAT type of person. Tests can be very subjective, especially when you're aiming to get 1 or 2 points to be at the top. And usually, these people aren't scoring consistently at the top on every exam they take in every class.

I've only known ONE person who was able to set the curve on almost every exam in almost every class consistently. She's that type of person I'm referring to. You don't want to know how much time every week she spends solely on school. Let's just say, she is the most efficient and productive student I know, able to quickly master the material because she understands exactly how she learns best and exactly how to remain focused and get things done quickly. And she STILL spends 20-30+ hours a week studying for her classes.

Reactions: 1 user

At this point in your life, you should stop focusing on what your colleagues do and focus on achieving your individual goals. That will help a long way towards keeping a healthy attitude towards medical school as your class will be filled with those top performers.

Reactions: 3 users
Natural ability also comes into play here too. Some people study less, but retain more.
There is an inverse correlation between one's affinity for sleep and their performance in class. Ask yourself if it's worth that next level.

Also, depending on how good your school is, they might just be natural geniuses. One of my friends consistently got A-'s freshman and sophomore year. He decided to try junior year and he consistently got the highest grade in 200+ student classes and got a 40+ MCAT after 3 weeks of studying.

Also, depending on how good your school is, they might just be natural geniuses. One of my friends consistently got A-'s freshman and sophomore year. He decided to try junior year and he consistently got the highest grade in 200+ student classes and got a 40+ MCAT after 3 weeks of studying.

Certainly there is a level of aptitude for test taking, but I wouldn't call that "genius". Knowing how you learn best and catering your study habits and time towards that while maintaining high levels of productivity should be distinguished from rare, natural prodigious "genius".

Certainly there is a level of aptitude for test taking, but I wouldn't call that "genius". Knowing how you learn best and catering your study habits and time towards that while maintaining high levels of productivity should be distinguished from rare, natural prodigious "genius".

It was just my impression from him. I worked with many people while in college and most are smart hard-workers. When I worked with him, he would finish the problems in half the time it took me. He was just very good at digesting information rapidly.

I would say that I have encountered far more 'rare, natural prodigious "genius"' students than those who fit your other description.

That last 1% will cost you 101% of your energy. ROI gets smaller and smaller the closer to perfection you get.

Simply? Work harder and work smarter. Most importantly, believe that you can.

easy. get rid of the people above you

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that I have encountered far more 'rare, natural prodigious "genius"' students than those who fit your other description.

That's probably because our society is so focused on test taking as an indicator of intelligence that the amount of geniuses in our society is overestimated. My idea of a genius is someone whose intelligence far exceeds their age group. Children who excel in college level subjects is one example. They don't have to be insanely good at taking tests or get the highest score in the class, just that their mental capacity is a lot larger and stronger than what you would expect in a normal human being, especially for their age. Almost like a neuronal mutation, although I'm not sure if you'd want to go that far in characterizing it. People overuse the word "genius" way too much.

There are bright people. There are people who grew up in intellectually stimulating environments. There are people who are naturally good test takers. There are people who have taken tests their wholes lives that they became good at it. There are people who learn fast. There are people who are so charismatic that they come off as very intelligent.There are people who are top-notch students who are good at learning new information because they have good study habits that suit their style of learning. Very few are actually "geniuses".

That's probably because our society is so focused on test taking as an indicator of intelligence that the amount of geniuses in our society is overestimated. My idea of a genius is someone whose intelligence far exceeds their age group. Children who excel in college level subjects is one example. They don't have to be insanely good at taking tests or get the highest score in the class, just that their mental capacity is a lot larger and stronger than what you would expect in a normal human being, especially for their age. Almost like a neuronal mutation, although I'm not sure if you'd want to go that far in characterizing it. People overuse the word "genius" way too much.

There are bright people. There are people who grew up in intellectually stimulating environments. There are people who are naturally good test takers. There are people who have taken tests their wholes lives that they became good at it. There are people who learn fast. There are people who are so charismatic that they come off as very intelligent.There are people who are top-notch students who are good at learning new information because they have good study habits that suit their style of learning. Very few are actually "geniuses".
In that sense, then, I have never met a "genius". I have met people with higher GPAs than me, or who are better at speaking, or more motivated, but I have never met anyone who I thought was smarter than me (only judging against 'me' because that's the only reference anyone has got - themselves - I'd say that I am probably average on that front), per se. I've also not gone looking for anyone :laugh:

In that sense, then, I have never met a "genius". I have met people with higher GPAs than me, or who are better at speaking, or more motivated, but I have never met anyone who I thought was smarter than me (only judging against 'me' because that's the only reference anyone has got - themselves - I'd say that I am at least average on that front), per se. I've also not gone looking for anyone :laugh:

Judging from your performance on the AAMCs vs your time commitments, I'd hardly call you "average".....:p

Getting enough sleep is actually very important to performing well on tests. It's the reason why all-nighters are a crappy idea.

Reactions: 1 users
The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself.

Go seek out your school's education or learning center for help with learning styles, study tips, test taking skills, etc.

Judging from your performance on the AAMCs vs your time commitments, I'd hardly call you "avearge".....:p
I am a good test taker, as you put it :p

I have met a lot of good test takers in my day, but reading through your description, I would agree that none of them were particularly 'genius'. It is an interesting topic to ponder, since so much time and money and effort is involved in testing these days. I benefit from that atmosphere, certainly, but is it a good one? Does it make sense? Does 'good at testing' = smart? It is easy to get sucked into that view - heck, by referencing my AAMCs when discussing whether I am smart, you do the same! But you brought up some really good points.

And OP, just keep on truckin' on. You can only do your best, after that let the chips fall where they may. You seem to be doing absolutely fine, so no use killing yourself to do barely any better in the range where it doesn't help you.

Getting enough sleep is actually very important to performing well on tests. It's the reason why all-nighters are a crappy idea.
They are a wonderful idea if you are a certain amount behind on the subject being tested...

They are a wonderful idea if you are a certain amount behind on the subject being tested...

i.e. have not read any of the books and readings assigned throughout the quarter at all till the nights before the final..... what a incredibly stupid quarter that was.....

i.e. have not read any of the books and readings assigned throughout the quarter at all till the nights before the final..... what a incredibly stupid quarter that was.....
Exactly. I.e. my entire undergraduate career excluding the postbacc.

My point is that time management is the most important thing to avoid falling behind to the point that an all-nighter is necessary. Sleep deprivation is known to reduce memorization skills and lower test performance, and so avoiding deprivation should be a priority, no? :)

My point is that time management is the most important thing to avoid falling behind to the point that an all-nighter is necessary. Sleep deprivation is known to reduce memorization skills and lower test performance, and so avoiding deprivation should be a priority, no? :)
You will never, ever get me to agree that allnighters are inherently bad.
They are inherently miserable, but in my personal experience, they can lead to 100% grades which would have been a high C or low B otherwise.

Now, they are also inherently risky, because if you are banking on one and then life happens, you're screwed, because you put it off until the last possible moment and there is no wiggle room.

I have put a lot of effort in, over the past 2yrs, to have good time management and yes, avoid all-nighters, but that is due to the misery factor and the 'no backup' factor, not the sleep deprivation factor.

I am glad that I know how to pull one off and rock it, though, because I have had to do one hellish one in my postbacc (was sick for days, had to study all night → test in the AM→12hr shift immediately afterwards→work the next day) and I was able to pull the grade I needed. However, it is now what it should always have been for me - a backup - and not my primary mode of studying.

I feel so strongly about this, it was a focal point in my personal statement for medical school:

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." - Mark Twain
"Grades are important." - Professor of Medicine from Wash U to me when I was in 3rd grade.

Grades are always important. You need to be able to prove to people that you are capable of surviving the academics of medical school. They are NOT the endpoint. I can not stress this enough. If you are doing well in class, striving to doing better than others is not just unnecessary, it is going to end up hurting you in the long run. Do something else with your time. Get a job. Do research. Meet your significant other. Play sports. It doesn't matter, do not chase other people's grades in class.

Natural ability also comes into play here too. Some people study less, but retain more.

I didn't state definitive causation, I just stated that there is an inverse correlation. Performance in classes (and the MCAT) is clearly multifactorial... but when you are talking about the top of a class, you are usually talking about someone with both natural ability and extreme work ethic. In this case, work ethic (willingness to give up sleep) is probably the distinguishing factor.

You don't. There will always be someone better than you, no matter how hard you try or how smart you study.

The main thing is always bettering yourself and I don't mean just school, but life as well.

I feel so strongly about this, it was a focal point in my personal statement for medical school:

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." - Mark Twain
"Grades are important." - Professor of Medicine from Wash U to me when I was in 3rd grade.

Grades are always important. You need to be able to prove to people that you are capable of surviving the academics of medical school. They are NOT the endpoint. I can not stress this enough. If you are doing well in class, striving to doing better than others is not just unnecessary, it is going to end up hurting you in the long run. Do something else with your time. Get a job. Do research. Meet your significant other. Play sports. It doesn't matter, do not chase other people's grades in class.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I never opened a book until I came to college, and even then didn't do so enough. I was in your exact place, consistently doing very well on tests, and occasionally being the "curve-setter," but not on every test or in every class. I focused on life outside of school, played sports, founded an organization, got a GF, etc., and as I did so more and more my grades improved because I was beginning to study more efficiently in order to have more time to dedicate to enjoying the rest of my life. I have had countless encounters with so called "top performers" who have very little to add to a conversation that isn't about academia. Think about it this way, if all you focus on is studying what will you have to talk about in future interviews?

Nice AC surf avatar BTW

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

(To catch them is my real test, to train then is my goal!)