How to improve my chances? Graduating next fall.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p15tolpete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no current plans on applying this cycle and I am on pace to graduate next fall unless I space everything out or minor in something else. My prerequisite grades are mediocre so I wonder if it is worth retaking or should I minor in something easy like health as a overall gpa booster? I figured doing well on PCAT [taking January] could overshadow my mediocre prerequisite grades and I figured it would be expected that I do really well if I was to retake so it would seem less impressive.

As for extracurricular, I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy and have accumulated over 200 hours since last November. I was wondering if I should try do research or assist in a lab as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no current plans on applying this cycle and I am on pace to graduate next fall unless I space everything out or minor in something else. My prerequisite grades are mediocre so I wonder if it is worth retaking or should I minor in something easy like health as a overall gpa booster? I figured doing well on PCAT [taking January] could overshadow my mediocre prerequisite grades and I figured it would be expected that I do really well if I was to retake so it would seem less impressive.

As for extracurricular, I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy and have accumulated over 200 hours since last November. I was wondering if I should try do research or assist in a lab as well?

my last year of school we had a grad fair where i was able to ask admissions questions. they told me 3 things: get straight A's, do well on the PCAT, volunteer in a pharmacy or become a pharm tech. that's it.

my last year of school we had a grad fair where i was able to ask admissions questions. they told me 3 things: get straight A's, do well on the PCAT, volunteer in a pharmacy or become a pharm tech. that's it.

Hey jerbearox, good luck with the UC Denver interview. I've lived in Colorado my whole life and I'll be applying there next cycle.

Overall, good advice. You could also add shadowing in different areas of pharmacy into the equation since you'll have more to talk about in the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you are definitely on the right track! I was in your shoes 2 years ago. however, I didn't retake many classes. All I did was give it all to find a tech job. Once I began working as a technician, I networked with a lot of pharmacists who really helped me out.

Bottom line (PERSONAL OPINION). There are a lot of students with great grades. Grades are important but pharmacy schools look at the whole package as well. Having experience in pharmacy means you are dedicated, Remember, the WHOLE package. A few mediocre grades isn't the end of the world. You can shine in other areas! Good luck!

How does the pharmcas deadline work? My school of interest holds the January 7 deadline. Does this mean I have to click E-SUBMIT by January 7?

How does the pharmcas deadline work? My school of interest holds the January 7 deadline. Does this mean I have to click E-SUBMIT by January 7?

There isn't a solid answer for this question--it depends on the school..but be careful cause pharmcas can take up to 5 weeks to process and sometimes the schools want it processed by their deadline, not just submitted.

There isn't a solid answer for this question--it depends on the school..but be careful cause pharmcas can take up to 5 weeks to process and sometimes the schools want it processed by their deadline, not just submitted.

Oops! I realized I posted my question in the wrong thread. But thanks so much for the warning. I need to be careful. Otherwise, I will have to sit for next year because of a stupid mistake. That is exactly why I asked the question.

As I understand, this is incorrect (I think I remember JenAthay clarifying during last cycle that as long as it's just PharmCAS you're waiting on you're fine). But don't push it - if there is a reason your application won't be complete & at the school with everything needed (transcripts, supplementals, test scores) prior to January 7, I would contact the school. Not worth sitting out a year because you didn't pick up the phone.