MD How to maximize potential with 3.570c, 3.430s, 33 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longdukdong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks eveyrone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More service-related ECs. Try being a Big Brother/Sister, working in hospice, nursing homes, Planned Parenthood, suicide/crisis centers or hotlines.
Then there's also being a counselor at camps for sick children.

Try Habitat for Humanity. Teach for America. Americorps. If you're really daring, there's service in our military (think Nat Guard) or the Peace Corp. But stay out of Liberia, Nigeria or Sierra Leone.

Your local houses of worship will have lots of volunteer ops as well.

In preparation for the 2016 cycle, what else can I do to maximize my potential and appeal to competitive programs where my numbers fall below the second quartile, e.g. Duke, Michigan, Vanderbilt, WashU, etc.? Apart from a higher MCAT score and GPA, what's missing? What else can I feasibly accomplish/do in ~one year until the first day of AMCAS submission in June 2015? I can write a charismatic personal statement that will frame my current application/CV in a compelling light, but words can only mean so much... Or am I pretty much limited to state school (not that it's nothing to be ashamed about)?

Academic
- Graduated in May 2013 from a top 1-5 public school not in California
- Major: Chemistry + Biology
- cGPA: 3.570
- sGPA: 3.429
- MCAT (July 2013): 11P / 10V / 12B = 33

EC's & Work Activities
- Currently working ≥ 36 hrs/week, since mid-April, as an emergency dept. technician at a major Children's hospital
- 1000+ hours in organic chem research accumulated during senior year
- 500+ hours as volunteer EMT-B on an ALS unit from junior to senior year
- 50+ hours private tutor in organic chem
- ~50 hours clinical volunteer at alma mater's hospital ED, pediatric ED, and craniofacial center
- ~60 hours as intramural soccer captain over 4 years
- 100+ hours dental shadowing (*hehe*)

LOR's
- 3 super LORs from research PI, BME professor emeritus, and director of Spanish language dept.
- 1 super or cookie-cutter LOR from organic chem professor
- 1 LOR in-the-making from an ED attending at current workplace, concerning public health outreach project

Miscellaneous
- GA resident
- Strong ties to state of alma mater
- Chinese
- 7 months of foreign travel between graduation and March 2014
- Didn't apply 2015 cycle because need $$$ (srs lol).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As much community service work as possible. Write strong essays, could start working on the essays for those schools now and personal statement and apply as early as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
To me, these are out of the ordinary. They require more dedication and commitment. Any one can tutor for pay, run a jog-a-thon, or work in a soup kitchen. I like people who don't have cookie cutter ECs. TFA is for people who have more long-term goals. I don't want you to join it and then quit for med school.

Thanks for the response, Goro.

Is there anything about these particular activities that sets them "apart" from those with a "lesser degree of commitment"? Do they really shine any brighter in the eyes of an adcom, or is everything weighted relatively equally (being serious here...)? I ask because I have previously thought about taking part in one of these activities, but the commitment would overlap with my expected year of matriculation. Or wouldn't adcoms care any less that I resign from Teach For America, for example, after one year* to attend med school?

*TFA = 2 years

What's wrong with Nigeria? Nigeria is Ebola-free and is one of Africa's most promising economies. You don't need to go to Africa at all, but if you wanted to, Nigeria would be one of my top picks for a country to work in.

The MCAT is great, the GPA is a bit patchy. I'd second the heavy focus on volunteering other people have mentioned.