WAMC (3.9 cGPA, decent extracurriculars)- Also potential list of schools would be helpful (trying to get an idea of my competitiveness)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TK1121

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.95
  2. MCAT: 514
  3. State of residence: PA
  4. White Female
  5. Undergraduate: T25 (Applied Statistics Major)
  6. Shadowing (200 hrs)- Primary Care, General Surgery, OBGYN, Vascular Surgery, Dermatology
  7. Clinical experience
    1. Hospice Volunteer (350 hours)
    2. Medical Assistant/Scribe in Primary Care Practice (700 hours)
  8. Research experience
    1. Undergraduate Research Assistant in lab focused on preventative medicine (lung screenings, mammograms, etc... in rural communities) as well as addiction medicine (2 publications in addiction medicine journals (500 hours)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Student Ran Crisis Line (500 hours)- callers focusing on issues of addiction and mental health
    2. Remote Area Medical (300 hours)- Non-profit focused on providing healthcare to this in underserved communities, volunteered at many clinics helped provide free glasses and input patient information into EMR
    3. SHE (Shelter for Help in Emergency) (200 hours)- Domestic violence shelter (got me interested in women's health with family medicine)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Leadership:
      1. Was President and Secretary of club field hockey program (very competitive program, made it to club nationals every season, top 10 club program in country)
      2. First Year Rep and Member of Community Host Group for RAM chapter at my college- responsible for running our own Remote Area Medical Clinic​
      3. Coach for a field hockey camp- 4 years
    2. Tutoring
      1. General Chemistry TA (300 hours)
      2. Science tutor (Organic, Gen Chem, Bio) for other students (120 hrs)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Very prestigious honors college (only 5% of class invited)
    2. Scholarship through honors college
    3. Small research grants
    4. Prestigious secret society at school recognizing academic achievement
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. My parent was a family physician. I pretty much grew up in their office, shadowing, and eventually scribing from time to time. The impact they had on the community inspires my intention to work in primary care someday, as well as my drive for healthcare reform

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth Geisinger
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Case Western
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Rochester
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Boston University
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Emory
Tulane
St. Louis
Rush
Loyola
Western Michigan
Kaiser

What is your purpose as a physician? What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? What are you looking for in a program? If you want to commit your professional journey to primary care, have you researched HPSP and NHSC?

I presume the medical school associated with your physician-parent is included on your list. How much networking have you had with other schools on your list? What other programs were represented in your RAM experiences?