Program-Specific Info / Q's How to Pick?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go?

• USC

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Boston U

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Wash U

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

clover1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Can anyone comment on USC, Boston U, and Wash U. If you could go to all three, which would you choose? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @clover1! If those are the programs you're choosing between, congrats! Those are three great choices and I can see why you're seeking advice! However, I would advise you to think more about what each programs offers you as an individual, not so much what anybody else says about it on this forum or elsewhere -- although I'm sure you already know that.

I'm a first year OT student, and I know that deciding which school to go to is an important decision. I actually write a blog about occupational therapy, and I have a post that might help you create a "comparison chart" to help you consider the more objective qualities of each school to look at while you're making a decision. Here's the link - if you check it out, you'll probably find the "Comparing Programs" section in the middle of the page most helpful: https://gottabeot.wordpress.com/choosing-an-ot-grad-program/

If you're looking for a slightly shorter answer, here's my advice:
  • Know that a big name school may be very appealing and great on paper, but it doesn’t mean a program will be a great fit for you.
  • One of the most important things you should do when comparing each program is to briefly make a note of each program’s philosophy and goals for its students and decide whether or not the information you’re reading is the philosophy you want to live, eat, sleep, breathe and study for the next few years!
  • Also, contacting admissions directors and asking to be put in touch with current students is a good way to gain an understanding of the program’s feel.
Good luck deciding, and I'm sure you're on your way to being an amazing OT wherever you choose to go!

I've heard WashU has an occupation-centered approach, which is what I would shoot for. I've also heard USC is cutthroat and has a gigantic cohort...but it is USC. Can't really go wrong between those...go for the cheapest and closest to where you want to practice after graduation.