how to prepare for fellowship application during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caulfield830

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just matched to IM residency at a mid-tier university program in midwest and I'm planning on pursuing hem/onc fellowship down the road. Looking at the previous match list, it seems that the majority of the past graduates of the program stayed at the same institution or went to other mid-tier institutions in the midwest. My goal is to become a physician-scientist running a basic research lab (>80% research, I have a Ph.D. in cancer biology with basic science publications) and my dream fellowship program would be somewhere like U Mich or Stanford or UWash (based on my research interest). I'd like to know more about how to better prepare myself for these competitive places during residency. Of course I will be working very hard and try to be the best resident I can be but other than that, what should I do? Should I do away rotation? publish clinical papers? (I'm not interested in retrospective chart review type of research but if that's what it takes, I'm willing to do) I know that working in the lab during residency may not be feasible. Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

General fellowship advice, first and foremost, be an outstanding intern/resident. This will affect your LOR's which will in turn affect your fellowship opportunities. Don't sacrifice this part for the sake of doing research or other extra-curriculars. Get setup with a research project and/or mentor that shares similar interests as you, try to publish if you can, but you're phd definitely works in your favor. Away rotations seem unnecessary. If/when it comes time to apply, reach out or have your mentor reach out to specific programs or attendings at those programs who share your research interest, you may even personalize your personal statement for certain programs that are of particular interest to you.