How to start research project???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolesmine4sur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been in 2 research labs, but all I did was the grunt work working as a lab assistant. Where would I start if I wanted to begin my own project so that I can hopefully get it published? I was wondering what is the usual approach towards this? Do the professors of the lab usually just approach u? or do u have to dude some literature research and then come up with a proposal, funding, etc. and then present it to the professor?

Any advice on how to get start would be great. thanks guys!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been doing grunt work. Everytime I pass by an undergrad washing dishes, I really feel bad for them. In response to your question, usually the PI would provide you a project that tries to answer some kind of hypothesis. After, you do some literature research on the topic and come up with some experimental designs.

You show these designs to your PI and if he approves, then you begin your experiments. If your findings are good (which is usually rare in the beginning), then you present it in lab mtg. Eventually, you will gather enough data to publish. This process usually take a year (to get good data) and another year (to write and get published)

Normally, the PI will provide the funds (because they write the grants) for you. My suggestion is to ask your PI if he can give you a project. If not, find another lab to work in.

Hey,
The way I did it is apply to a student research award at a teaching hospital. You should check out what is available in your area and apply. I was able to use the lab's materials, but I had to do all my own literature review and write a proposal.

Another way you can apply for research is talk to your professors, find out what they're working on, and if it interests you, give the prof a copy of your resumé.

Try to find out what is being done at your college's medical school (if it has one), or nearby ones, and just ask about opportunities. Google is your friend. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you still working in a lab? If so, just go talk with your PI about possibly starting your own project, and see what his thoughts are on it. It would be even better if you went in with some of your own ideas on what you could do. I don't think there's any real secret here... just ask.

thanks alot guys, this was really helpful!!!

yea, i've been doing two years of GRUNT WORK!!! so i wanna start my own project in case i don't get in to a school this year, i'll have some credentials that would make my app. better for the next cycle.

but yea, i'll prolly just ask and if i see no opportunities, i'll change labs. Thanks again!