How to strengthen my app for top 20s? gpa: 3.8+, MCAT 517-519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeyyy09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year will be applying next cycle
Extra curricular hours and years are projected by the time of my application in June 2017

Practice MCAT: 517-519
sGPA & cGPA 3.8+

Volunteering:
-Teaching elementary schools kids about health and nutrition once a week (2 years and a half, 112 hours)
-Started 501 c (3) non profit and school club based on my personal hobbies and interests, funded on kickstarter, not going into too much detail (2 years, many hours)

Work(Paid):
-Organic chemistry tutor for campus (1.5 years, 400 hours)
-Medical assistant, pediatric private practice (1 year, 120 hours)
-ED Scribe (1 year, 600+ hours)

Research:
-On campus lab (3.5 years, 500+ hours)
-This includes student research grants ($750 and $5000)
-Multiple symposium posters
-3 authorships (low ranking author)

-Selective (1 of 10 out of 800 selected) summer research program at NASA (2.5 months, 400 hours)
-Authorship in manuscript (low ranking author)
-Presented 2 posters at national space biology conference, won 3rd place for one of the posters

Sports:
-Club hockey (3.5 years, 500+ hours) + team treasurer

I know I haven't done a great diversity of things, but for the things I have done, I throughly enjoy doing and have invested a lot of time into. I've been mostly picking up curriculars based on things that sounded fun to do, or that landed in my lap.

Now that applications are coming up soon, I want some honest feedback on the weaknesses of my application and any activities I may be able to pick up to make me competitive for top tier medical schools next year. (My school advisor isn't much help)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm missing something but how are your shadowing hrs (unless that's part of your med asst. job)? Other than that you seem quite solid (assuming your MCAT score is within your practice exam range)

Reactions: 1 user
You're gonna rock it. I had an interesting story/good ECS but a slightly worse application numbers-wise and I got 9+ top 20 interviews.

Though I think worrying about ranking is a little shortsighted, and you should be focused on what schools have the things you're looking for. Given the strength of your application, I think you can afford to focus your school list a little more on those schools that will be a better fit for you. Don't forget your state schools and targets though, applying is always a crapshoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love when someone tries to humblebrag under the guise of "how can I improve my application."

Not much more to add. Apply and hope for the best. You'll probably get into a solid 10-20 program if your essays an interviews are good.

My grandmothers old saying: There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip

Everything seems on track, but actually have to take the MCAT