How to volunteer at a hospital/shadow a doctor?

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am torn between Pharmacy and Pre-med I thought it would be a great idea to shadow a doctor or volunteer at a hospital to help me decide. How exactly does one shadow a doctor? If I can't do that then I would like to volunteer at a hospital, but I don't want to look like an idiot and just walk in. Are there any specific things you need to do before being allowed to volunteer?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, when you shadow a doctor, you do what the name suggests; follow him around. Unless you are a friend or relative, you just follow him around and ask him questions when he's not busy. I think at most hospitals you just call on their website saying you would like to volunteer. I'm not sure about criminal backround checks or anything like that.

I found out about hospital volunteering opportunities by looking through the websites for hospitals near me. Most, if not all, took high school volunteers, but with some it was only for summer positions. Usually volunteering was under the "giving" tab.

As for shadowing, I've only done a family friend, but a lot of people say that your pediatrician is a good place to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering what kind of job I could get in a hospital setting with no to minimal training. I definitely need any money I can get right now, my student loans are going to be monstrous.

I was also wondering what kind of job I could get in a hospital setting with no to minimal training. I definitely need any money I can get right now, my student loans are going to be monstrous.

Don't expect anything clinical. Maybe working in the kitchen or in the warehouses, if that hospital has any.

You'd probably be better off working somewhere else since working for the hospital isn't going to be much benefit without clinical experience.

Don't expect anything clinical. Maybe working in the kitchen or in the warehouses, if that hospital has any.

You'd probably be better off working somewhere else since working for the hospital isn't going to be much benefit without clinical experience.
Yea, I figured.

How can you be torn if you are still in high school? People in undergrad still don't know what they want to do and guess what... its not too late for them. So, you are going to be fine.

How can you be torn if you are still in high school? People in undergrad still don't know what they want to do and guess what... its not too late for them. So, you are going to be fine.
I'm not in high school, I'm going to be a freshman in college in two weeks. :)

Pharmacy and premed are two very different tracks pharmacy is usually 2 years undergrad, taking pre-reqs and then 4 years culminating in a pharmD. Premed is a general course of study in undergrad that hopefully lands one with an acceptance to med school. Shadowing is a great idea, contact your Family physician or a community physician and see their everyday routine. It might be advisable for pharmacy as well to shadow a pharmacist. Medicine has more autonomy, more remuneration and often times allows for more patient activities. Pharmacy offers many different types of positions from retail to hospital to research looking into them may be a good way to find out what you prefer.