How varied is FM .. really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on my third rotation (Pediatrics) after doing OB/Gyn and Surgery. This is the first time I have been able to "be myself" and felt comfortable in my daily routine. I feel very, "at home" in the ambulatory/outpatient office setting. This is probably why I'm enjoying the rotation so much.

I actually like Peds as well, but I don't think I would want to do only peds. How many Family docs are out there routinely seeing peds patients? Is FM really as, "open ended" as I have been told? I really want a good mix of stuff, and my current plans are to probably do peds, prenatal and postpartum OB, general gyn, and some inpatient type stuff to get my hospital kick, with maybe the occasional moonlighting in a rural ED. Is this actually possible or have the things I've been told misguided me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am on my third rotation (Pediatrics) after doing OB/Gyn and Surgery. This is the first time I have been able to "be myself" and felt comfortable in my daily routine. I feel very, "at home" in the ambulatory/outpatient office setting. This is probably why I'm enjoying the rotation so much.

I actually like Peds as well, but I don't think I would want to do only peds. How many Family docs are out there routinely seeing peds patients? Is FM really as, "open ended" as I have been told? I really want a good mix of stuff, and my current plans are to probably do peds, prenatal and postpartum OB, general gyn, and some inpatient type stuff to get my hospital kick, with maybe the occasional moonlighting in a rural ED. Is this actually possible or have the things I've been told misguided me?

This is absolutely do-able. There is a practice out there in FM that will suit anyone's desires...but you might have to be flexible with location and/or salary. Really though, the practice you describe is available pretty much everywhere (well, obviously the rural ED would have to be rural, but you get the point).

Most family physicians see a good mix of adult medicine, peds, and gyn, unless they've intentionally restricted their practice in some way. Fewer do OB and hospital these days, and even fewer do EM. Local factors, malpractice insurance, and lifestyle preferences are the main things driving primary care physicians into ambulatory medicine. You can still "do it all," but you won't have as much flexibility geography-wise, and you won't necessarily take home more money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wanting to just do prenatal and postpartum, or deliver as well? I don't know any FPs who do everything BUT the delivery. You either do all or nothing if you do OB.

Are you wanting to just do prenatal and postpartum, or deliver as well? I don't know any FPs who do everything BUT the delivery. You either do all or nothing if you do OB.

I rotated through a federally health qualified center where the FPs did pre/postnatal care and had an OB hospitalist who did the deliveries. The FPs also saw adults, did lots of gyn, treated a lot of HIV, did hospital work with ICU privileges and did inpatient peds. The clinic had 2 pediatricians, but they only did outpatient work.

I rotated through a federally health qualified center where the FPs did pre/postnatal care and had an OB hospitalist who did the deliveries. The FPs also saw adults, did lots of gyn, treated a lot of HIV, did hospital work with ICU privileges and did inpatient peds. The clinic had 2 pediatricians, but they only did outpatient work.

where was this federally qualified health care center if you don't mind me asking (nhsc scholarship receipient looking for a good job one day)

Family Medicine is easily as varied as you can imagine. I see patients of all ages, deliver babies, go to nursing homes, do ultrasound, colposcopy, stress tests, and numerous office and hospital procedures. And I don't kill myself with hours. I still have most evenings and weekends off. I would recommend doing a rotation with a community FP or at a community based residency program so you can see what is possible outside the academic setting.