How viable would studying abroad the summer I apply to med school be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
Although getting the primary app done before departing is straightforward, I'm just curious how doable the other aspects of applying would be while abroad, especially attending interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although getting the primary app done before departing, I'm just curious how doable the other aspects of applying would be while abroad, especially attending interviews?
Are you pre-writing your secondaries and securing your LORs now? How do you plan to take Casper or PREview?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you pre-writing your secondaries and securing your LORs now? How do you plan to take Casper or PREview?
I'm far out from applying, I just need to start more seriously planning if I can study abroad or not bc I have to start the process for applying to study abroad a year before I actually go. As far as LORs go, getting them submitted doesn't actually require my presence right? I can secure getting them well before traveling. Not sure about Casper though. Is it not possible to take outside of the summer time?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible, especially with virtual interviewing formats. Casper and PREview can be taken on your home computer without requiring a secure location (such as needed for the MCAT), but PREview requires live proctoring. (Read: "How to Prepare for PREview" article )

PREview dates begin in March while Casper dates usually begin in May. You should get these out of the way before you start your study abroad. If you pre-write secondaries and none of the prompts change (or new ones are added), you might be able to stay on track over the summer. Interviewing is virtual, but ideally you want to do this in the US so you don't have large time zone discrepancies to manage. You may also have to take a recorded video interview (Kira Talent, SparkHire, etc.) before you get a live interview (virtual or not). You also may consider attending the optional meet-and-greet/engagement parties where you should ask questions to students and available faculty/staff.

Take the MCAT early before you leave, but note that your plans may be messed up if you post a sub-par score. I would not suggest retesting if you are abroad in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
If interviews are all virtual when you apply, you should be ok, if you plan carefully (which I know you have been!). If interviews are in person, then you're potentially in some trouble, depending on your summer timeline. Not many interviews will be in the summer.

Make sure you have a reliable internet connection, your phone works, you can manage time differences, your out-of-country school schedule can accommodate absences for interviews. Just get everything done in advance, including prewriting secondaries, applying early, and triple check everything for AMCAS.

I sound like a parent.

Reactions: 1 users