Study abroad: distraction or benefit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadingshampoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a current junior who is majoring in biology and sociology. I am facing a dilemma between studying abroad, or not studying abroad - basically, I think study abroad will be a very personally enriching experience and is coming at the right time for me. However, there’s more complications with course scheduling, and it’s almost impossible to graduate in 3.5 years.

My main concern is with an abroad semester, I will have taken a total of two/three biology courses, my physics sequence, and calculus 2 at different universities than my host institution. This is because I used AP credits for biology 2 and the inorganic chemistry sequence, and I took the physics sequence and calculus 2 at another four year university.

Additionally, my sophomore year schedule was lighter than I meant due to some scheduling errors, and you can see the courses I’ve taken in my past semesters below.
—-
Semester 1: 15 credits (organic chemistry 1, humanities course, introductory economics, introductory freshman lab, introductory sociology)
Semester 2: 15 credits (organic chemistry 2, research for credit, freshman writing course, sociology elective 1, sociology elective 2)
Semester 3: 14 credits (introductory biology 1 w/ lab, research for credit, analytical chemistry, sociology elective 3)
Semester 4: 13 credits (weightlifting, sociology research methods, research for credit, biostatistics, organic chemistry lab)
Semester 5: 16 credits (biochemistry, cell biology, social theory, sociology elective 4, Spanish)
——

With this information in mind, would it look avoidant/odd if I took the semester abroad? I would likely either need to enroll in one 3 credit biology course at my university during the spring (Sp2025), or take a summer course at another four year university (Su2024), which is also what I’m unsure of.

If any ascots can chime in, that would be awesome!

@Goro @LizzyM @Moko

Members don't see this ad.

Studying abroad sounds awesome. I wish I had a chance to do so myself.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am a current junior who is majoring in biology and sociology. I am facing a dilemma between studying abroad, or not studying abroad - basically, I think study abroad will be a very personally enriching experience and is coming at the right time for me. However, there’s more complications with course scheduling, and it’s almost impossible to graduate in 3.5 years.

My main concern is with an abroad semester, I will have taken a total of two/three biology courses, my physics sequence, and calculus 2 at different universities than my host institution. This is because I used AP credits for biology 2 and the inorganic chemistry sequence, and I took the physics sequence and calculus 2 at another four year university.

Additionally, my sophomore year schedule was lighter than I meant due to some scheduling errors, and you can see the courses I’ve taken in my past semesters below.
—-
Semester 1: 15 credits (organic chemistry 1, humanities course, introductory economics, introductory freshman lab, introductory sociology)
Semester 2: 15 credits (organic chemistry 2, research for credit, freshman writing course, sociology elective 1, sociology elective 2)
Semester 3: 14 credits (introductory biology 1 w/ lab, research for credit, analytical chemistry, sociology elective 3)
Semester 4: 13 credits (weightlifting, sociology research methods, research for credit, biostatistics, organic chemistry lab)
Semester 5: 16 credits (biochemistry, cell biology, social theory, sociology elective 4, Spanish)
——

With this information in mind, would it look avoidant/odd if I took the semester abroad? I would likely either need to enroll in one 3 credit biology course at my university during the spring (Sp2025), or take a summer course at another four year university (Su2024), which is also what I’m unsure of.

@Goro @LizzyM @Moko
Why do think it would look odd to study abroad?

@Mr.Smile12 I’ve been learning Spanish, so study abroad would tie in nicely with that, and I can do experiential learning abroad, which would be pretty valuable. I’m going to check with my academic advisor tomorrow, but wanted to also check here.

@Goro My main concern is taking too much science coursework outside my university - if all goes well with getting into courses, two or three biology courses would be taken at my study abroad institution. Additionally, I would need to take one other course at my local four year (my university’s bio classes conflict with my study abroad timeline), or go part time in the spring for three credits (way more expensive, but doable). Considering my background with AP credits/the courses I’ve taken outside my university, I’m concerned how that would look.

Study abroad. You can make your class schedule work and still go to med school after having studied abroad. It will be a long time before you get that opportunity again and you will look back on it fondly for the rest of your life. Don't go to med school with regrets cause they will feel x1000 times worse when you are in the thick of med school wondering where your previous life went.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I’ve been learning Spanish, so study abroad would tie in nicely with that, and I can do experiential learning abroad, which would be pretty valuable.
Do what you want to do while you don't have to fret over medical school. But Spanish is not the same across all Spanish speaking countries. Where do you plan to go?

The only way this looks bad is if you go to a school that is very rigorous and you avoid weed-out courses by taking those weed-out classes at a much less rigorous school (or one that is perceived as less rigorous).

Agree with @Mr.Smile12 that Spanish pronunciation and idiom varies by location (imagine a Spanish speaking person studying English in Birmingham England vs Birmingham Alabama) so take that into account.

Also don't get me wrong. I am a strong proponent of study abroad if you can and if it fits your purpose.

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you want to do while you don't have to fret over medical school. But Spanish is not the same across all Spanish speaking countries. Where do you plan to go?
I plan to go to a smaller city in Spain, where it will definitely be a different accent than the Latin American Spanish I am used to. However, with my double major constraints, there was no available programs through my university that offer the classes I need. Also, I wanted to experience a different region, because I have been to Latin America for a past summer program.

The only way this looks bad is if you go to a school that is very rigorous and you avoid weed-out courses by taking those weed-out classes at a much less rigorous school (or one that is perceived as less rigorous).

Agree with @Mr.Smile12 that Spanish pronunciation and idiom varies by location (imagine a Spanish speaking person studying English in Birmingham England vs Birmingham Alabama) so take that into account.
Yeah, I was afraid this might be the case, since the four-year university I took the physics sequence and calculus 2 has a significant rank gap with my four year. In that case, would you recommend against studying abroad, if I have to take 2-3 more classes outside my university? If I study abroad this spring semester, I would take plant and animal physiology abroad, and take genetics over the summer/during a part-time semester. If I study abroad in the fall, I would take genetics and microbiology abroad.

Also don't get me wrong. I am a strong proponent of study abroad if you can and if it fits your purpose.

Yeah, 100% agree, I would say the main benefit is from a personal standpoint, but I envision it would be a great experience to do sociology research abroad, or do an internship abroad in some human rights issues I work at in my home university. I personally think the benefits will outweigh the costs on a personal level, but I don’t know if it will add anything meaningful to my application (considering I have one study abroad experience already which was way more of a culture shock/difficult adjustment process), and considering it will take time away from all the activities I am working on at home, I don’t want to make the path to medical school more of an uphill battle, if it actually appears negatively in terms of a less rigorous courseload/not enough dedication to medicine.

Please go study abroad. I took a semester abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, and loved it. Living with a host family and becoming close to fluent in a second language was enriching and satisfying beyond what I can put into words. And during that semester I did ZERO science. I was concerned about this at the time, but the break turned out to be super helpful--I came back refreshed, energized, took on my science courses like there was no tomorrow, and aced them. And now as a medical student I get to be a Spanish interpreter.

But seriously, just go. As you get older there will be fewer and fewer opportunities to pick up and live in another country like this. So go, don't look back, and have an absolute blast!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
FWIW, my advice to students studying abroad is generally to not take classes that will be identical or nearly identical to what they'll get in the states.

One huge benefit of studying abroad is getting the opportunity to do things you can't do in your home country. If you're taking classes you could otherwise take at home, especially if they're intensive classes, you're undercutting a lot of the benefits of studying abroad.

It doesn't always work out, but when I'm advising a student who wants to study abroad, we set up their course plan such that they have no degree requirements they need while they're abroad unless it would be a benefit to take elsewhere (i.e., taking Marine Biology in New Zealand or some other unique course).

And I *always* recommend students interested in health professions (including medicine) study abroad if they can. It can do wonders for expanding your world view and help you develop much needed cultural competence. If nothing, depending on where you study, it's the first time many students are an "outsider", and that perspective is immensely valuable in relating to patients in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

—-
——

@Goro @LizzyM @Moko
Do it! I did it and I think I would’ve regretted if I didn’t. Love it so much I returned to the country to work at post graduation