How would these topics be tested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSerenity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying general chemistry from kaplan, and for the most part it seems like that content is almost exactly the same as the old MCAT. But informed sources tell me AAMC like to integrate concepts into biological foundations and stuff like that.

Can you give me an example of how topics like thermochemistry (i.e heats of formation) or mechanical work would be tested on an AAMC exam? Are there still stand-alone questions or passages just straight up about stuff like this on the new MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

There's probably an unlimited amount of ways these can be tested. Thermochemistry they could give you a metabolic pathway and ask you questions about spontaneity and gibb's free energy and add in questions about Le Chatlier's principle by asking how particular stresses would effect overall equilibrium. I've probably seen upwards of 15 practice passages involving thermochem, I feel like it's a pretty common topic. Mechanical work could be questions like a wheel chair ramp and throw in questions about coefficients of friction and blah blah blah. AAMC definitely doesn't have a lack of areas to draw questions from and if you can think of it there's a possibility it will be tested.