Howard Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those on the waitlist, please do not give up hope, I just got in this morning!!! I am so happy and I feel so lucky to have gotten in. I look forward to meeting some of you in the fall!

Congrads!!!!!!:hardy::hardy::hardy:

How did you hear?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Waiting! See you in July! :)

Congrads!!!!!!:hardy::hardy::hardy:

How did you hear?

Thank you.
I got an e-mail this morning from Ms. Walk at 10:26 a.m It was the best e-mail I have ever received. She also called me shortly after but I was away from my phone so she left a message. Howard does a really good job at making sure that you receive the good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too have been accepted off the waitlist. Just got the email. See you guys in July.

Big Congrats on the acceptances you guys!!! That is really a blessing. I am praying that I can be as lucky as you guys next cycle. I am applying in June and I want to go to HU sooooooo bad!!! I have been praying about Howard for 3 years now. So hopefully I will get to meet you all in the near future. God bless!

Congrats Ruralmd!!!!:):)

Thanks!

How's the housing situation going for you guys? Im from GA so I have no idea where to look or how to look. Can someone please pass me some info about places and where to begin because there's less than six weeks left until orientation:scared:.

congrats waiting and ruralmd! Welcome to the fold! :D Make sure you join the facebook group to meet some of our other classmates there's abut 75 on there now. Also look in the allo thread for the HUCM c/o 2012 I put some info in there about dc neighborhoods. See you all soon!

Congrats waiting112 and ruralmd! I am from Georgia too. See you in July.

Since UVA is now a BISON, I feel that it is my duty to continue in her foot steps and keep this thread hot and jumpin for this up coming cycle! I am praying my behind off that I will be accepted for the class of 2013! How is PARP coming for you guys that are participating?

Since UVA is now a BISON, I feel that it is my duty to continue in her foot steps and keep this thread hot and jumpin for this up coming cycle! I am praying my behind off that I will be accepted for the class of 2013! How is PARP coming for you guys that are participating?

Dear

Last edited:
congrats waiting and ruralmd! Welcome to the fold! :D Make sure you join the facebook group to meet some of our other classmates there's abut 75 on there now. Also look in the allo thread for the HUCM c/o 2012 I put some info in there about dc neighborhoods. See you all soon!

Thank you! One of the first things I did after getting that acceptance e-mail was joining the HUCM group. See you in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear BlackDr2b:

Good luck with your application process this year! I'm pretty excited to move to DC and start HUCM in July. Hopefully, we'll see you at the interview. Have you summitted your primary yet?

Wassup Alan06! Thank you for the good luck wishes! I am praying that favor will be on my side. I bet you are excited. I am praying that you will see me at the interview! I haven't submitted yet. I have to wait until my last quarter grades are in from my postbacc, and that won't be until the end of June. My amcas is finished, just waiting on grades. Hopefully I will submit on July 1st. God bless you on your new adventure at HUCM, i'm sure you and the rest of 2012 are going to do great and be great! God bless!

Just wanted to check in and see how everybody is doing with the apps? I am studying for finals this tuesday and my postbacc will be finished!!! Can't wait.

How are the PARPsters doing?

Anyone get their fin aid package yet?

Less than 5 weeks until orientation.:scared:

Anyone get their fin aid package yet?

Less than 5 weeks until orientation.:scared:

I just got accepted in May so I could not submit the forms until last week. However, I have been in touch with the financial aid office. They are very nice and they told me that within the next several weeks, I should be getting my financial aid package.

Just wanted to check in and see how everybody is doing with the apps? I am studying for finals this tuesday and my postbacc will be finished!!! Can't wait.

How are the PARPsters doing?

Good luck on your finals.....i have completed everything on the primary and i just need some finishing touches on my PS. i should be submitting my primary today or tomorrow. i will be taking the MCAT July 8th. eitherway, it will be great to be completed in most schools by august.
am applying to:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Sunny upstate
All Texas schools.

I just got accepted in May so I could not submit the forms until last week. However, I have been in touch with the financial aid office. They are very nice and they told me that within the next several weeks, I should be getting my financial aid package.

By forms you mean fafsa, because I call and they said they did not need anything that I should get my package around late june/early july.

Wassup everybody, just coming thru to say hello and bump this great thread! HUCM 2013, IN JESUS NAME!!!

I know I totally fell off...but I'll be back on here soon enough! PARP is going well. We just had 2 tests today (cell bio and histo), I did much better than the first test (biochem is not my forte). Anyway, I LOVE being on campus and meeting the current students and getting to know my/our classmates. But I'm also looking for a new place to stay (I think I found a few possibilities), so there's a lot of change in store for me! "Just" 2 more weeks, a quiz and 2 more tests to go!!!

Sorry I've been MIA, but I hope things are going well for all of those recently accepted, waiting for an acceptance, and applying this year!

just submitted my AMCAS app today. here is to class of 2013:thumbup:
hope this cycle will be a good one

just submitted my AMCAS app today. here is to class of 2013:thumbup:
hope this cycle will be a good one

Hey Mimi, congrats on submitting! This cycle will be a good one as long as we have fun and stay strong in our faith! God is going to do a mighty work for us. :thumbup: Here is to class of 2013. :D

Just bumping the thread! God bless.

Bump Bump Bump!!!!!!!!!

I think we should start a new thread once this cycle really gets on and poppin.
Just to make official for the class of 2013.

How's everything for the 2012 class?

I think we should start a new thread once this cycle really gets on and poppin.
Just to make official for the class of 2013.

How's everything for the 2012 class?

I will third that idea Scarterinscrubs. I am with that. Class of 2013!!!!!!! Lets get it!

I wanted to know if the people who got accepted this year would share their stats, mcat, gpas, and etc. I would like to see all of them together and also did anyone apply early and planned on not recieving an undergrad degree and just move on to med school?

Ericka

Anyone applying for the class of 2013? Turned in AMCAS, waiting for a secondary. Applied very very very very late last year but got no interviews.:(

Made it to the committee table 3 times though.:oops:

Any ideas what my chances this year are?

Okay MCATS, plan to reatke in August. Excellent LOR, Good GPA, Awesome Healthcare experience.

What say you?

In GOD we trust, as always. HE has never failed us!!!

I will be applying to Howard this year.

my stats: poor GPA (3.2, BCPM 3.0), going to take the MCAT in august (scoring between 33-37 on the AAMC practice exams ... hope to do similar on the real thing), a good amount of clinical experience. Will be doing a research thesis next year (otherwise research experience is rather limited). I assume my LORs will be pretty strong.

Will be finishing my personal statement and submitting AMCAS and TMDSAS sometime this week.

Good luck to everyone this cycle :)

Wassup everybody! I definitely am applying to Howard. This is my #1 and where I want to be for med school (In Jesus Name!). I submitted my amcas on the june 24th and now I am just waiting for verification. Hopefully we will all get in. Class of 2013, here we come. God bless!

Hey All of you DC folks!

I will be attending the Howard White Coat Ceremony on Friday August 1, 2008and will be in town for a couple of meetings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (meetings in Baltimore but will get to DC for White Coat Ceremony).

I would love to have a meet up with folks on Saturday evening (or late Saturday afternoon) if anyone is interested. I also hope to meet some of the Class of 2012 HUCM (and perhaps cloak a few of you). My former faculty advisor is the keynote speaker and I would not missing seeing everyone.

If you are interested in getting together somewhere on Saturday either DC or Baltimore, send me a PM and we can try to get something together even if it's coffee at the HU Starbucks.

I am applying to Howard as well...hopefully to be class of 2013:) (that sounds far away...)

Looking forward to applying to Howard as well. Hopefully, I will be able to be apart of the entering class of 2010.

It's official!! I'm a HUCM med student :) First day of orientation went well, and the next day is....well you know how a week of orientation is. But I'm here :-D

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about PARP that I can answer, questions about HUCM too...although I'm still new here so I may not be able to answer everything yet. G'luck to everyone applying for c/o 2013!

It's official!! I'm a HUCM med student :) First day of orientation went well, and the next day is....well you know how a week of orientation is. But I'm here :-D

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about PARP that I can answer, questions about HUCM too...although I'm still new here so I may not be able to answer everything yet. G'luck to everyone applying for c/o 2013!

It would be great for you to post your PARP experiences here (when you get a chance). It was an awesome experience for me from the standpoint of being an instructor. I learned how to make up and evaluate exam questions for medical students. I learned how to present material so that students could master it quickly and build upon a foundation of knowledge. I also honed my ability to focus on my studies so that I became a very efficient student - something that took me through residency well.

PARP is an excellent experience for any medical student either as instructor or as participant. Most of the students who participated in PARP went on to become student leaders because of the huge boost that it provides. From the standpoint of being one of the instructors, it wasn't a bad "gig" for us either.

I am looking forward to meeting the new HUCM folks at the White Coat Ceremony. My former faculty adviser is the keynote speaker and I can tell you from my experiences with him, that he is one of HUCMs greatest gifts to the health of patients. He started a minority transplant surgery program that provided education for many people who were suffering because they needed the benefits of kidney transplant in an environment where donor organs are extremely scarce. Through his efforts more people learned about saving the lives of their relatives and even strangers.

One of the biggest issues in health care today is that African Americans suffer more hypertension and have more end organ effects from this terrible disease. Dr. Callender was one of the pioneers in minority renal transplant and the founder of MOTEP (Minority Organ Transplant Educational Program). He will have a great message to get the HUCM Class of 2012's careers off to a good start. He has set a legacy of excellence that runs through HUCM today and will continue in the years to come.

Anyone in the HUCM area should drop in and attend the White Coat Ceremony on April 1, 2008 at HU. It's open to the public and it's an opportunity to hear from someone who is just plain awesome.

What are the stats for Howard?

well I think NJB was right about telling you all about PARP (Preliminary Academic Reinforcement Program).

Where in the world do I start? Well I'll start with the basics. PARP is a 6 week program with anywhere from 25-30 students. This year there were 20 med and 10 Dent students, and we had (I believe) 6 MEDStars. MEDStars are people selected from the class above us (the 2nd years) who based on their grades and personalities function as both teachers and tutors during the program. As I understand the curriculum can vary slightly from year to year, but this year we had biochem, cell bio, histology (lecture and lab), anatomy (lecture and lab), immunology, respiratory, and activities in PBL (gmatt correct me if I'm missing anything). :)

We were there basically from 8:30 AM until 4 PM daily and attendance is mandatory. Most people lived in the dorms (which had some AC issues) and there were about 5 people who lived "off campus." We were given books to use for the program, but we return them at the end. We had a test every 2 weeks (3 total), 2 Lab tests, 3 quizzes, and the first 2 weeks we had daily quizzes provided by the MEDStars to help us see how we were doing. The day was structured with lecture in the morning, about an hour for lunch and the afternoon was a combo of self directed study and tutoring for whatever we had covered to that point. This could include histo review, or working on biochem "homework," or going into anatomy lab to go over the GI tract.

Some people enjoyed this time others would have preferred to study at home, or the library...mainly because as you can imagine the more we spent time together the more we wanted to socialize with one another...which isn't always conductive to studying.

For me biochem was VERY hard. I haven't taken it before and I haven't taken it's underlying components in a while. The good thing was that it was more clinically correlated and while there was some stuff that was standard like enthalpy, entropy etc, but I was glad to have had the exposure to the material.

My personal assessment of PARP. I hated that it was a conditional acceptance based on the outcome of PARP, only because I still felt a ton a pressure. Some saw it as we were in, and it was ours to loose...I saw it as I was not in, and I still needed to prove myself. Made it stressful for me, but I'm in so it's all good. Either way, EVERYONE made it through PARP and in med have matriculated (dent gets here in August). I loved the fact that we had CONSTANT exposure to current students, alumni, and faculty.

The students both medstars and those who just stopped by were helpful. They answered all of our questions, even if we asked multiple times, offered suggestions, told us what worked (for them) and what didn't. Gave advice about classes, professors, study tips, and for those unfamiliar with the area info about housing. They wanted us all to be here as much as we did. Many PARP "alumni" came by to offer perspective on what to expect once classes stared (which is somewhat different between med and dent).

Faculty were available to talk, explain concepts from their lecture or anything really, as were representatives from the Office of Med Edu. Medstars offered to come in on the weekends to go over their lectures, and in some cases help use to learn how to determine what concepts to focus on and improve our study habits.

I also liked the fact that not only were we exposed to the concepts, but the actual med school lectures, and professors. So during the molecules and cells block we will be familiar with exactly what we are seeing. :) I got to work on how I study for different "subjects." For example I know with biochem I need practice questions to test my knowledge. I need practice at applying the knowledge from lecture rather than only studying the lecture. For anatomy I found that drawing the structures before lab helped me to both visualize the different components of the organ, but familiarize myself with the names (and spelling). That way when I was at home studying my picture allowed me to recall what I saw in lab and synthesizes that with the pictures/info in the text.

I would hate to have had to go through that "learning process" during the year when the volume of info will be much greater than what we saw in PARP. I also really liked getting to know and bond with my classmates. I lived off campus so in some ways I didn't bond as much as those who were basically around one another 24/7, but we still got to know one another, and coming to orientation it was nice to both see familiar faces, and get to know new ones. It was also good to learn how "Howard works" in that we became familiar with the facilities, campus, rooms, and just feeling comfortable in our environment.

I also learned about study groups...I'm NOT a study group person. In that I can't go right from lecture and study with 6 people or more and get something positive out of it. There were those who did this DAILY. I found that I need to learn the info on my own first, then study AROUND others (about 3-4 people, no more because we'll want to chat) so that if I'm not clear on a concept they can help and vice versa.

Despite not being a fan of the "conditional" component of PARP I feel SO blessed that I had this opportunity. I also know that this experience has truly prepared me to succeed, and make the adjustment to med school. There's a 4th year who was top in PARP and was #1 in her class (I believe all three years so far). I aspire to do as well as her, if not better. Honestly, I'm not as worried about my rank in the class so much as I am about being successful and helpful to my classmates. But I firmly believe that PARP has poised me to be successful. While it's not ideal to spend my summer before med school in school, it was well worth the "sacrifice." I encourage that anyone who has the opportunity to take advantage of it. I hope that I can be a MEDStar for the class of 2013 PARP participants.

If anyone has questions just ask. We just finished orientation and began instruction, and the molecules and cells clock begins Monday, so it may take me some time to reply. But just lemme know!

G'luck to all this years applicants, and to my fellow c/o 2012 people beginning this year.

Thanks for that review UVA. It sounds like you had a good time and got a lot out of the program. It sounds like a blessing to be apart of. I am really excited about applying this year and I really hope and pray that I can be apart of HUCM 2013! I hope and pray that everything goes well, I mean great for you this year and hopefully I will get to see you when I get an interview (In Jesus Name!).

Wow UVA congrats on everything! PARP sounds like it really helped you out. Best of luck to you in the future!!! =)

Hello everyone!!!!!!!

I'm first generation going to college. My parents are east african and muslim. I major in bioinformatics/Pre-med and minor in chemistry. I"m a junior now. I was doing well at first and was part of the honors college....I got a bit sick n classes were getting hard so now I have a 3.0. I volunteered 400 hours and is now doing research with a doctor in telemedicine. I was wondering what are my chances to get into medical school especially into Howard. What MCAT scores will I need to make up for my low gpa. I was part of the national collegiate scholar program, had a leadership scholarship out of high school, president of african clubs, travelled across seas to help the need, etc.

I would really appreciate it my brothers and sisters on how i should improve my application and if i still have a good chance?

Hello everyone!!!!!!!

I'm first generation going to college. My parents are east african and muslim. I major in bioinformatics/Pre-med and minor in chemistry. I"m a junior now. I was doing well at first and was part of the honors college....I got a bit sick n classes were getting hard so now I have a 3.0. I volunteered 400 hours and is now doing research with a doctor in telemedicine. I was wondering what are my chances to get into medical school especially into Howard. What MCAT scores will I need to make up for my low gpa. I was part of the national collegiate scholar program, had a leadership scholarship out of high school, president of african clubs, travelled across seas to help the need, etc.

I would really appreciate it my brothers and sisters on how i should improve my application and if i still have a good chance?

No MCAT score will "make up" for a low uGPA. Take some postbacc coursework and get those grades up. You want to retake the pre-med classes if your grades were low in these as you want the highest MCAT score that you can get. Concentrate on mastery of material and getting a solid knowledge base. Even though Howard's average uGPAs might be lower than many schools out there, Howard is not easy to get into. You need to make a strong case for why Howard should take you as a member of their medical class. Right now, the best thing that you can do is get those grades up with postbacc work and get a solid score on the MCAT (do some good prep). Good luck!

I posted the following in the Family Medicine > Underrepresented Forum, but it doesn't look like there's anybody active there, so I figure I give it a try here. Thanks!

" Volunteering to help the underserved
I'm interested in underserved medicine and am looking for suggestions on where I can volunteer to gain experience in this.

I'm a working professional in the Washington DC area and wouldn't mind dedicating some time after work to help out those in need.

I'm specifically targeting activities that medical schools focusing on underserved medicine (i.e. Howard University Medical School) would find appealing.

I've volunteered at a hospital before in the ambulatory surgery department and was a member of AmeriCorp caring for minority kids from single parent homes in an after school youth club.

But all this was years ago, so I'm trying to get back in."

Any suggestions?

I posted the following in the Family Medicine > Underrepresented Forum, but it doesn't look like there's anybody active there, so I figure I give it a try here. Thanks!

I'm interested in underserved medicine and am looking for suggestions on where I can volunteer to gain experience in this.

I'm a working professional in the Washington DC area and wouldn't mind dedicating some time after work to help out those in need.

I'm specifically targeting activities that medical schools focusing on underserved medicine (i.e. Howard University Medical School) would find appealing.

I've volunteered at a hospital before in the ambulatory surgery department and was a member of AmeriCorp caring for minority kids from single parent homes in an after school youth club.

Any suggestions?

Google "Bread for the City Washington DC" and look up their clinic. I am sure that you could find loads of opportunities to volunteer with this organization.

Any suggestions?
I volunteer at a court ordered juvenile program in miami see if they have one in dc. also habitat for humanity is national try that as well

:confused: class of 2014 i just don't know where yet

I volunteer at a court ordered juvenile program in miami see if they have one in dc. also habitat for humanity is national try that as well

:confused: class of 2014 i just don't know where yet

Christmas in April is well-represented in the DC area especially with winter coming, they winterize homes for poor and elderly residents.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys.

So anyone here considering Howard? I'm actually Asian American, which is probably not underrepresented, but I'm trying my luck. I'm dedicated to the underserved.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys.

So anyone here considering Howard? I'm actually Asian American, which is probably not underrepresented, but I'm trying my luck. I'm dedicated to the underserved.

The medical classes at Howard (like all of their professional schools) are quite diverse and do include asians.