Howard School of Pharmacy C/O 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalove07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was surprised we didn't have a class page so I decided to start one and took info from other C/O pages. Now we've got a central thread to discuss everything for students starting this Fall. Housing, Loans, Roommates, Paperwork, and whatever else comes up. I'll amend this post as people add information regarding housing.

Let's all introduce ourselves. Where are you from? Looking for a roommate? Undergrad school/degree?

I'm coming from Georgia. I am graduating from UGA in Athens, GA this May with a BS in Chemistry and minor in Music. I played the clarinet in the marching band the last four years and had many great experiences with the football games, etc. I am looking for a roommate or two to split an apartment. I know everything is expensive so I'm hoping that we can come to an agreement on prices. I'm currently used to living in a $380/mo furnished apt including rent and utilities but I'm sure that I won't find that in DC. I'm also used to separate leases. I am willing to stay in MD or VA as long as its no more than a 30 min. drive away. I plan on commuting to class by train/bus but if needed, I have a car.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am coming from NC. I have a family also so I will be living off campus. Right now we are looking at rentals in PG county. If i don't get a parking sticker (which i hear that there is an open sale if people don't pick up stickers by a certain date), i will be drving as far in as possible and taking the train/bus to campus. I am a "non-traditonal student"! Graduated from NC State Univ with a degree in Bichem and have worked for a major pharmaceutical compnay for over 10yrs.
Have anyone received any financial aid info? i got my student id about 3 weeks ago and that the last i have heard from Howard. does anyone know what kind od class schedule we will have? i hope we are not in class everyday from 8-5. looking forward to meeting everyone in Aug.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am coming from the Midwest. I graduated from UMKC with a Chemistry degree in 2006. I have been working as a Chemist at a research institute for the past two years. I have a family member that is in the area but I am still going to look for my own place. I will definitely have to get a roommate because the rent in DC will be impossible for me by myself. I received information on the Howard Plaza Towers, but I am debating if this will be my best option. I am unsure about the whole car stituation. I have a car but parking will be crazy and the metro seems pretty good. I emailed the financial aid office to get an idea of what type of aid I will receive. The cost of attendance is $40,880 and they told me that professional students will not receive their award packages until the end of April or early May.

Hey Peoples!! I'm from Texas. I graduated May 2005 with my BA in Chemistry. I have noo earthly idea as to where I'm staying. Like you, Kalove, I am looking for something very reasonable (ie. cheap..lol just kidding). Preferably, I would like to have my own space..not implying that I'm antisocial...just because I'm ready to have my own place again. However, rooming with someone for the first year or so would be cool. :)

Hello everyone! I am from Florida. I graduated from the University of Florida with a BS in Nutrition, May 2007. I am hoping to find a reasonably priced apartment in DC, and also hoping to having a roommate. I think I am going to take a trip to DC by July to look around, so if anyone plans on doing the same let me know. I think just to be on the safe side that I may go ahead and send in an application for the Howard Plaza East (but I really don't want to live on campus). There was information on the website about Howard Ellington Apartments, so I hope to get more info on that ASAP.

If anyone finds a place that is reasonably priced and have livable conditions please let us know!!!

Hi Everyone! I'm coming from the midwest and I'm also a non-tradtional student with a family.

I'm really dissappointed with the housing conditions I've found so far. I've been on the apartment review website and so many people complain about roaches, mice, rats, noisy children, etc... :eek:

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to live in an apartment that's at least $1500 a month which is double what I pay now :( I plan on taking a trip up in June. I will report back anything I find that is reasonable. For those of you that are single, there were also a lot of condos available for rent which were about $1000-$1500 a month. Many of them were 2-3 bedrooms so it would be cheaper with a roommate.

Hello to all! Hey kalove what are your stats again? Just kidding. Thanks for taking some initiative and starting this thread.

I am from N.J., lived all over the U.S. while serving in the greatest Army in the world. I am currently living in Az, attending ASu, a semester away from getting a BioChem w/ a Med Chem Conc BS. I 've worked in pharmacy for 10 years, as a tech, in both the civilian realm and the military.

As for living in DC, don't know yet, so if anyone finds anything decent let us know here, maybe I can lease something around your area and we can car pool. But seriously post it here ,anyone at any price.

I am so anxious to get started! See all ya in August.

I did include quite a deal for my stats. :) So far it seems like all of us will have degrees going into the fall. I was worried that I would be the only one. Pharm2Bee, where are those condos located? That seems like something I would be interested in. By the way, my name is Kenya Lovett so if any of you want to add me, I'm on facebook.

Whats up guys! Im going to be joining you guys in the fall also. Im coming from southern california so going to school over there is going to be a whole new world to me just like im sure its going to be new for alot of you. I graduated from UCLA in 06 and have since then been working as a pharm tech. I got my BS in biochem while i was there. Im pretty excited about coming out and am looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi KaLove. I went to the website condos.com and there were tons of condos in the DC area. There is a for rent section and I put in a max rent of $1200 and several came up.

The only challenge is that I'm in the Midwest and can't visit them. I'm going to go apartment hunting in June and I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

Congrats everyone!

Thanks! I'll check out the website. I'm hoping to go there in June or July but I want to have a list of places before I get there. I'm also willing to room with any of you all. I don't want to stay in a 1 bedroom and I would prefer roommates in the pharmacy program. Just let me know who's game! Maybe we all can meet beforehand so we can get to know each other.

Thanks! I'll check out the website. I'm hoping to go there in June or July but I want to have a list of places before I get there. I'm also willing to room with any of you all. I don't want to stay in a 1 bedroom and I would prefer roommates in the pharmacy program. Just let me know who's game! Maybe we all can meet beforehand so we can get to know each other.

Hey Kalove, I agree with you; if I room with someone, I prefer to have a pharmacy classmate as well. Hey, are any of you planning on working while in the program (excluding holiday breaks, summers...etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
So who wants to grab the bull by the horns and open a class page on facebook? I think we're overdue for that!

Working? NO doubt! I will start applying for jobs next next month and I have hope that I will get picked up by a hospital. My main concern though is that first semester its the hardest academically, followed by the third year, so I've heard. Anyone on this blog working in any kind of pharmacy around the school? Tha is looking for tech/intern with "MAD" skills, hit me up! =-D:laugh:

I'm a New Yorker! Sorry folks I know I just popped out of nowhere. I was accepted a long time ago so I haven't really been on SDN until lately coz school's around the corner.

What's a good price to pay for a one bedroom apartment in the DC area?

What's a good price to pay for a one bedroom apartment in the DC area?

It depends on where you want to stay. I would highly recommend wherever you decide to look to check out the apartment reviews website first. It's very eye opening. Just google the name of the apartment and add "review ratings" behind the name.

I would say between 600-1000

Has anyone heard anything from Howard? I returned my acceptance letter about a week ago and have heard nothing back. I want to have my financial aid and classes in order before I move.

How long does it take to get a student i.d.? Do they simply mail me one without a photo?

Has anyone heard anything from Howard? I returned my acceptance letter about a week ago and have heard nothing back. I want to have my financial aid and classes in order before I move.

How long does it take to get a student i.d.? Do they simply mail me one without a photo?

I recieved an email from them about orientation. They said they would send another email with the i.d.

I just got my letter too from Ms. Williams. I also e-mailed the financial aid office and they said that everything will be in order as soon as they receive notice from SOP that I've enrolled. this is what it said:

Congratulations again on your offer of admission to the School of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences at Howard University! Your Enrollment and Good Faith fees have been received by the School of Pharmacy. Student ID Numbers will be forwarded in a separate e-mail.

We look forward to having you join us in Fall 2008, and contributing to Howard University's legacy of Leadership for America and the Global Community. Your experience at "The Capstone" will be exciting, rewarding and memorable!

At this time, all students who have accepted their offer with Howard University are required to complete and submit their Medical History forms (PLEASE NOTE: Medical forms are to be sent DIRECTLY to the School of Pharmacy), the Financial Aid Application that is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov (for those eligible), and the International Student Financial Resources Statement (for International students ONLY). Please forward this information to the appropriate departments at least 90 days prior to Orientation, which is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, August 20, 2008.

The above forms can be downloaded from the University website at www.howard.edu. Click on "Current Students", then click on "Student and Campus Life". Medical forms can be retrieved from the “Health & Wellness” header and under the Student Affairs header the International forms and information from “Student Life & Activities” header, as well as the “Residence Life” heading would have information regarding dorms. Be sure to include your student identification number on all documents that you send to Howard University.

Additionally, students planning to reside on campus should contact the Howard Plaza Towers East at (202) 797-7148 for Graduate/Honors Housing Applications; there is also additional Graduate/Professional Housing available through the Office of Residence Life at (202) 806-6131, applications can be obtained from the website provided above.

Information regarding Orientation and Registration will be mailed in July 2008 (new pharmacy students CANNOT register online or by phone, registration will be handled at Orientation).

Do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Celia Williams-Fowlkes at (202) 806-6533 or via e-mail at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.

It is our pleasure to cordially invite you to become a member of the Howard University, School of Pharmacy, Class of 2012! We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Celia Williams-Fowlkes
Recruitment and Records Officer

cc: Student File
CW:c

That's the same email I got and I just recieved the ID. Does anyone know whether Howard will give us mentors like P3 or P4 students, I know some schools do this.

Hey guys! I'm from MD and should be with all of you this fall. Looking forward to it.

That's the same email I got and I just recieved the ID. Does anyone know whether Howard will give us mentors like P3 or P4 students, I know some schools do this.
How long did it take for you to get your ID after that email?

Last edited:
Hey everyone Im from Chicago, Il graduating from the University of Wisconsin Madison. Hey if anyone is trying to look for a roomate and wants to live in the MD or Virginia area( not the D.C cuz I heard its real Grimmy lol) I would be willing live with anyone for the first years because I will not have time to look for an Apt till the end of july and would perfer not to have too look that late. Hopefully something reasonable and could prob. care ppol or catch the train together to class double motivation to get up on time and stuff especially living with someone else whos focused on studying make for a better living situation. Cant wait to see you all in the fall. Peace

Contatct info
[email protected]

Hi fellow classmates! I logged onto BisonWeb (link off of Howard. edu)today and to see if I had any financial award info in my file and here's what i saw. From what i figure, we'll have about 16,000 left to cover living expenses for the year. Not alot for that area. I guess the award letter should be coming soon.​

Budget Detail
Budget ComponentAmountTuition$17,965.00
Mandatory Fees$995.00
Books and Supplies$2,050.00
Meals/Board$2,860.00
Association Fee$50.00
Laptop Computer$2,500.00
Loan Fees for Subsidized$111.00
Loan Fees for UnSubsidized$222.00
Incidentals$900.00
Room$10,512.00
Local Transportation$1,665.00
Total: $39,830.00

Hi fellow classmates! I logged onto BisonWeb (link off of Howard. edu)today and to see if I had any financial award info in my file and here's what i saw. From what i figure, we'll have about 16,000 left to cover living expenses for the year. Not alot for that area. I guess the award letter should be coming soon.​

Budget Detail
Budget ComponentAmountTuition$17,965.00
Mandatory Fees$995.00
Books and Supplies$2,050.00
Meals/Board$2,860.00
Association Fee$50.00
Laptop Computer$2,500.00
Loan Fees for Subsidized$111.00
Loan Fees for UnSubsidized$222.00
Incidentals$900.00
Room$10,512.00
Local Transportation$1,665.00
Total: $39,830.00

How did you log in? I still haven't received my student number.

FYI.

Here's a link i got off the financial aid forum to a company that offer private loans to students for money over the COA. Most banks will not loan you over the COA for your school and they verify your aid from your school to make sure you are not exceeding that amount.
This company doesn't verify. Not sure about all the terms (they do defer payments until after graduation), but if you need more money it is an option:

www.myrichuncle.com

Has anyone had any luck finding any apartments? Everything is so expensive and the price is not worth what you get. I also got something in the mail about a summer program to help prepare for the school year. Is anyone considering going?

FYI.

Here's a link i got off the financial aid forum to a company that offer private loans to students for money over the COA. Most banks will not loan you over the COA for your school and they verify your aid from your school to make sure you are not exceeding that amount.
This company doesn't verify. Not sure about all the terms (they do defer payments until after graduation), but if you need more money it is an option:

www.myrichuncle.com

I got a private student loan from Sallie Mae for the spring semester. Its called the Student Answer Loan. The only thing they required was a copy of my class schedule and they run a credit report.

I don't believe they check into what financial aid your recieving only the cost of attendance at your school. Your credit must be ok to good status though or you'll need a cosigner.

Has anyone had any luck finding any apartments? Everything is so expensive and the price is not worth what you get. I also got something in the mail about a summer program to help prepare for the school year. Is anyone considering going?

I stopped looking for apartments to study for finals. Everything is super expensive. If you don't have a family, it's probably best to get a roommate to save money.

I didn't get a letter about the summer program. It sounds like a great refresher option along with the chance to get familiar with some of the faculty and learn your way around the school. If I could move up there early, then I would seriously consider it.

Is anyone else afraid to take the train to school. I am from the midwest and not familiar with the train situation. I've heard its safe but I'm still a little worried.

I wanted to get an apartment by myself but that just doesn't seem possible. I'm interested in rooming with anyone from SDN, so if interested PM me.

I'm from TX so the transportation was a culture shock for me, but it seems like the best way to get around especially now with gas prices. It should be ok.

I stopped looking for apartments to study for finals. Everything is super expensive. If you don't have a family, it's probably best to get a roommate to save money.

I didn't get a letter about the summer program. It sounds like a great refresher option along with the chance to get familiar with some of the faculty and learn your way around the school. If I could move up there early, then I would seriously consider it.

Is anyone else afraid to take the train to school. I am from the midwest and not familiar with the train situation. I've heard its safe but I'm still a little worried.

i was in the area last weekend house hunting. we opted to not do the apartment thing since the monthly payment for a 3 bdrm house vs 3 bd rm apt was about the same. we looked at over 25 houses before we finally found one worth living in. the closer we got to DC, the worst they were. looks like we are going to end up in a town named new carrollton (prince george county). it's about 12 miles from Howard and there is a metro park/ride nearby.
right now i am planning to attend the camp if i can get moved up and find childcare by end of July. good luck!

What website did you go to to get the Showcase book.

By the way. Has anyone been else not received their student ID yet? It bothers me that I haven't gotten it yet. And I also didn't get a letter about the summer class.at first I didn't think I needed it but it looks like it would be better for me to get acquainted with the area.

i got like 33,000 in fin aid but its estimated cost of living is 40,000 is any body else got this same problem?

i got like 33,000 in fin aid but its estimated cost of living is 40,000 is any body else got this same problem?

I guess most of us will have the same problem.

They allotted 15k for food, transportation and housing. I guess it would be best to find the most affordable housing possible and eat like a turtle. Or take a private student loan to cover the difference.

They gonna cause me to be a street pharmacist if they dont give me more money

I talked to a current student and she stayed that the loan will go up at the end of the summer. Right now the loan is for an undergraduate. And it should go up to professional. Status.

That's good because the amount that is posted for me on bison web just barely pays for tuition. I got an email saying we should be receiving our schedules, etc. by the end of June.

I talked to a current student and she stayed that the loan will go up at the end of the summer. Right now the loan is for an undergraduate. And it should go up to professional. Status.

Hey guys. The max Federal financial aid for Professional Students is:

Subsidized $20,500
Unsub $12,500

For a total of $33K. That amount is not going up. As a professional student you also qualify for Grad PLUS loans and private loans. For the PLUS loan you must take out the max in Federal money first. Here's more info:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

Sorry for the bad news :oops: I can't remember the exact criteria for being a considered a professional student. I believe its 90 credit hours or more. Don't quote me on it though :p

hey guys,
i got a financial award letter today. they only awarded me 20k in fed sub/unsub loans. basically enough to cover tuition and fees.
the remainding 20k i have to find in grad plus/private loans.:(
i am sure this is because i work a full time 40hr job that pays pretty decent.