Program-Specific Info / Q's Howard University OT 2014 Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilez1219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just received my acceptance letter from HU for the OT program starting Fall 2014. I was wondering if there are any other students who were also accepted. I would love to connect before the start of the school year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I just received my acceptance letter from HU for the OT program starting Fall 2014. I was wondering if there are any other students were also accepted. I would love to connect before the start of the school year.

Hello, I was wondering when did you interview for HU and did you receive the acceptance through mail or email? I interviewed on Feb 3 and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

Hello, I was wondering when did you interview for HU and did you receive the acceptance through mail or email? I interviewed on Feb 3 and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Thanks!
I had my interview on Feb.7 and I found out I was accepted on the 22nd. I received an email. You should call the OT department because the person who interviewed me said I would find out in 2 weeks from the date of the interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just received my acceptance letter from HU for the OT program starting Fall 2014. I was wondering if there are any other students were also accepted. I would love to connect before the start of the school year.
stats please

Hi! Congrats Smilez1219! I received my email this past weekend too! I also would love to connect with people prior to starting! Very excited about this!

Hi! Congrats Smilez1219! I received my email this past weekend too! I also would love to connect with people prior to starting! Very excited about this!
YAAY!!! Congrats :claps:. Im excited as well. Question, do you know how the class schedule will be? I'm trying to figure out if I can fit in a pt. job. Are you from the dc/md area?

Hey guys! I am just now having my Skype interview today! I guess I'm in for a second round of interviews. Does anyone have any tips? What kind of questions were asked, etc? Thanks!

Hey guys! I am just now having my Skype interview today! I guess I'm in for a second round of interviews. Does anyone have any tips? What kind of questions were asked, etc? Thanks!
Hi, their probably going to ask questions like how did you find out about ot, what is ot, why did you chose ot, what is occupation, why howard, what do you expect from the program, the schools mission statement, 2 scenario questions, and 2 interpretation questions. Make sure you have questions ready to ask the interviewer after. Do your research about the school and the program. Good luck!!!

Hi, their probably going to ask questions like how did you find out about ot, what is ot, why did you chose ot, what is occupation, why howard, what do you expect from the program, the schools mission statement, 2 scenario questions, and 2 interpretation questions. Make sure you have questions ready to ask the interviewer after. Do your research about the school and the program. Good luck!!!

@Smilez1219, thank you so much! Your post was very helpful. :) Now to wait and see.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just received my acceptance letter from HU for the OT program starting Fall 2014. I was wondering if there are any other students who were also accepted. I would love to connect before the start of the school year.

Hey Smilez1219 I was just accepted into HU OT program to0. I would love to connect with a few people before class, are you on Facebook?

Hello everyone! My skype interview went great and I received my official acceptance this Friday! I would love to connect to you guys prior to starting as well. Inbox me your Facebooks if you don't mind! (Or ask and I'll inbox you mine!) Yay, I'm so excited!!! :-D

Hello everyone! My skype interview went great and I received my official acceptance this Friday! I would love to connect to you guys prior to starting as well. Inbox me your Facebooks if you don't mind! (Or ask and I'll inbox you mine!) Yay, I'm so excited!!! :-D
GOOD!!! I'm happy you got accepted. Ok, I'm going to inbox you.

Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptance. I am a current student in the HU MSOT program. If you have any questions or concerns about the program, the area, etc. please feel free to message me or ask through the thread

Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptance. I am a current student in the HU MSOT program. If you have any questions or concerns about the program, the area, etc. please feel free to message me or ask through the thread
Hi, Can you please tell me the time schedule of when classes started your first semester and if they started that time everyday? Also does Howard usually give a good amount of financial aid to students? Thanks

Hello everyone!! I was also accepted into Howard and would love to connect with you all before we start!!

Hi, Can you please tell me the time schedule of when classes started your first semester and if they started that time everyday? Also does Howard usually give a good amount of financial aid to students? Thanks

During the first semester classes started
Monday - 11:30am
Tuesday - 8:30am
Wednesday - 11:30am
Thursday - 9:10am
Friday - 8:30am

I tried to upload a chart of the schedule that I have but I cannot figure out how to. Although this was our schedule for the first semester, it may not necessarily be yours. You will be taking the same classes as are shown on the HUOT website but there is no way to be sure if they will hold them at the same time. Classes this semester start at different times as well.

As far as financial aid, I know there are quite a few scholarship opportunities but at around $15,000/semester in tuition only, most people paid for majority of their bills with loans. These loans are through the government, not Howard. You can take out a certain amount in regular loans (whatever they offer you) and then if it is not enough to cover what you need you can take out additional money with a studentplus loan.

Hello everyone!! I was also accepted into Howard and would love to connect with you all before we start!!
Congrats! Do you have fb? if so inbox me your name so I can add you to the group.

During the first semester classes started
Monday - 11:30am
Tuesday - 8:30am
Wednesday - 11:30am
Thursday - 9:10am
Friday - 8:30am

I tried to upload a chart of the schedule that I have but I cannot figure out how to. Although this was our schedule for the first semester, it may not necessarily be yours. You will be taking the same classes as are shown on the HUOT website but there is no way to be sure if they will hold them at the same time. Classes this semester start at different times as well.

As far as financial aid, I know there are quite a few scholarship opportunities but at around $15,000/semester in tuition only, most people paid for majority of their bills with loans. These loans are through the government, not Howard. You can take out a certain amount in regular loans (whatever they offer you) and then if it is not enough to cover what you need you can take out additional money with a studentplus loan.
That seems like a good amount per semester! For classes that start at 8:30, what time do they usually end? Also were you able to work during the first semester or is there not enough time to?

That seems like a good amount per semester! For classes that start at 8:30, what time do they usually end? Also were you able to work during the first semester or is there not enough time to?

The class that started at 8:30 was the anatomy lab. It lasted until 11am I believe.

Monday - 11:00am (not 11:30, sorry) - 12:00pm
Tuesday - 8:30am - 11am
Wednesday - 11:00am - 4:00pm
Thursday - 9:10am - 5:00pm
Friday - 11:00am - 12:00pm

Yes, we all hated Thursdays

I know a few people that worked a few hours a week but I think their grades suffered for it. The first semester basically revolves around Anatomy. You will spend hours and hours in the lab and studying the book. I would strongly advise that you do not try to work during your first semester. If you make it through the first semester and you feel like you can juggle everything, then by all means go for it. The first semester and everything that comes along with it will be a shock. I don't know if this is true for all masters programs but you will definitely need to adjust to the amount of work given.

The class that started at 8:30 was the anatomy lab. It lasted until 11am I believe.

I know a few people that worked a few hours a week but I think their grades suffered for it. The first semester basically revolves around Anatomy. You will spend hours and hours in the lab and studying the book. I would strongly advise that you do not try to work during your first semester. If you make it through the first semester and you feel like you can juggle everything, then by all means go for it. The first semester and everything that comes along with it will be a shock. I don't know if this is true for all masters programs but you will definitely need to adjust to the amount of work given.
Wow, classes on Mon and Fri are really short. I thought it was going to be like an 9 to 5 thing everyday. Well thank you for answering all of my question. You've been a big help!

Wow! Thanks for the info! This is really helpful!

Hey! About how many people get accepted each year? And is there a good library near the OT building, cuz it sounds like I might be living there, lol. Thanks so much!

Hi everybody :) I was accepted to the program, and would love to connect to you all as well before school starts. Is there a facebook group?

Hi everybody :) I was accepted to the program, and would love to connect to you all as well before school starts. Is there a facebook group?
Hello, yes there is. Inbox me your fb name please.

Congrats new HU OT attendees. Would you guys mind sharing your stat?

@smartiemartie

University: University of Maryland

Major: Biology

Overall GPA- Undergraduate Transcript from graduating college: 3.13
Pre-req: 3.30-3.45 depending on the schools req.
OTCAS calculations:
Total Undergraduate 2.8
Post-BS/BA Baccalaureate 3.39
Cumulative Undergraduate 2.93

GRE: V:143 Q: 137 Writing: 3.0

Extra-Curric:
Rehabilitation Volunteer, Meals-on-Wheels Volunteer, All American Summer Track Camp Assistant, National Zoo Keeper Aide, Cat Caretaker Volunteer, Biology Society, Youth Mentor
-Chiropractic Assistant for 3 yrs

OT observation hrs-50+ (elementary school, pediatric clinic, home health care)

Applied: D'youville, Towson, Howard University, University of the Science, Springfield College, Alabama State
Rejections: D'youville, Towson, University of Science: Program had reached capacity
Interviews: Howard University, Alabama State (declined)
Accepted: Howard University, Springfield College

Verified OTCAS- end of Jan

Hi everyone! I am planning on applying to this school for the next cycle. If you were accepted, do you mind sharing your stats with me so I have something to compare to?
Thanks!

University: North Carolina Wesleyan College

Major: PSY and BUS

GPA- 3.95ish (haven't graduated yet)

GRE: 78th percentile, 4.5 writing

Extra-Curriculars:
Fair amount of volunteering, president of several clubs, etc.

OT observation hrs-100 (hospital, nursing home, short amount in hand, children's home)

Applied: University of NC at Chapel Hill, Howard University, Shenandoah University
Rejections: University of NC at Chapel Hill, Shenadoah University (application received late)
Accepted: Howard University

Verified OTCAS- middle of January (though submitted end of Nov, so send it in super early!)

Hey! About how many people get accepted each year? And is there a good library near the OT building, cuz it sounds like I might be living there, lol. Thanks so much!

Our class was around 32 people. I think the class before us was like 25 or something. They will probably accept more this year. There is a great library right near the OT building.

Hello, yes there is. Inbox me your fb name please.
Hey guys! I was accepted to HU's MSOT program too. I just found this thread, and I know orientation is soon, but I would still love to meet and connect with you all online. Can someone add me to the fb group? I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Feel free to inbox me!

Hey guys! I was accepted to HU's MSOT program too. I just found this thread, and I know orientation is soon, but I would still love to meet and connect with you all online. Can someone add me to the fb group? I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Feel free to inbox me!
Hey! Inbox me your name on fb and i'll add you