How's this school list looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DylanE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 23 year old URM (Mexican-American), 3.3 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA and a 32 (10/12/10) MCAT, CA resident Anthropology Major. Transferred as a junior to a UC, have averaged a 3.75 since then.
ECs:
about 300 hours teaching in an elementary school in rural Nicaragua (over 6 months)
about 75 hours in ER at local hospital (7 months)
about 30 hours shadowing 5 specialties: various surgeons for 5 hours each, 10 of FM
helped create an non-profit aimed at matching volunteers to programs abroad
work 30 hours a week helping to manage a restaurant. (leadership position)

Hobbies:
10 years of guitar, also play banjo and uke
long distance runner, have done 3 marathons
Advanced Scuba certified
intermediate spanish (could be close to fluent again with some work)

Letters:
Physics professor for a year, should be pretty strong
Ochem professor also great relationship
Latin American politics professor, probably strongest
Employer of 18 months, strong

My goal is to get involved in global health, most likely as a PCP in Latin America. This is addressed in my PS, which I think is pretty good. (still in progress). Considering applying to some MPH/MD programs, any thoughts on that? Am I anywhere near competitive enough for that? Not opposed to DO, but I know I'll at least apply twice if I don't get MD (my GPA should go up in my last few quaters), so I'll add DO schools next cycle if need be. I'm not sure exactly how competitive my app will be, here's a list of schools I'm thinking of.

Schools:
USC
Albany Medical College
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Medical College of Wis.
UC Riverside
Saint Louis University
New York Medical College
University of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Oakland Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Temple
Wake Forest
Wayne State Univ.
Tulane
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth Med
University of Washington
Tufts
Loyola
Case Western
SUNYs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the list looks good except some of the OOS publics are tough for a non-resident to get into.

My goal is to get involved in global health, most likely as a PCP in Latin America. This is addressed in my PS, which I think is pretty good. (still in progress).

Make sure you have this train of thought very clearly thought out and well researched. It is not the goal of many state schools to train physicians for other countries.