HPSP Bonus "Contract"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I met with my HPSP recruiter so that we can gather up all my files/application materials and forward them for review. During our meeting, I signed a piece paper saying that I will accept the 20k bonus if I am accepted by the scholarship. Here's what part of the contract says:

"I understand that if I am selected I will receive an accession bonus of $20,000 (less taxes). I will be required to serve on active duty for four (4) years, and repay full amount of the bonus should I not become or remain a licensed physician or dentist under the guidance of reference (b). I further understand that I will be required to repay the unearned portion of the bonus pursuant to the active duty agreement and title 37, United States Code, Section 302d."

My questions, signing this paper does NOT mean that I am legally committed to HPSP, right? If I were to get accepted by the scholarship, can I still back out? The wording of the statement above seems to suggest that if I am selected, I will automatically receive the bonus and be legally committed to HPSP.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, this bonus thing is not the actual HPSP contract, right?

It seems to me that this will only go into effect if you accept the HPSP scholarship. You can still get accepted into the program and back out, but once you sign the HPSP contract then this will kick in. I believe that is how it works, but someone correct me if I am incorrect.

Good to know! Yeah, it doesn't make sense for me to legally obligate to something I don't even have yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I met with my HPSP recruiter so that we can gather up all my files/application materials and forward them for review. During our meeting, I signed a piece paper

I believe bluecollar is right. But for heaven's sake, ask these questions BEFORE you sign anything.