HPSP ???? Can you break it down for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been doing some reading about HPSP on studentdoc and elsewhere... but I am really looking for an EASY breakdown of exactly what the commitment looks like.

So, during 4 years of dental school???

during 4 years after dental school??? What does that really mean to be on active or reserve duty. So does it makes it a total of 8 years being indebted to the military?

Also, if one wants to specialize directly after dental school, lets say a 2 year residency, does the military pay you for that? But then do you owe them another 2 years?

Please put this in lay terms for me! Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

yorkiepoo said:
Hi. I have been doing some reading about HPSP on studentdoc and elsewhere... but I am really looking for an EASY breakdown of exactly what the commitment looks like.

So, during 4 years of dental school???

during 4 years after dental school??? What does that really mean to be on active or reserve duty. So does it makes it a total of 8 years being indebted to the military?

Also, if one wants to specialize directly after dental school, lets say a 2 year residency, does the military pay you for that? But then do you owe them another 2 years?

Please put this in lay terms for me! Thanks :D

This is what I know. No matter what, you will owe 8 years. If you take a 4 year scholarship you have 4 years active and 4 years IRR. active means you are a dentist for the military. You get dressed in your uniform and work on a base seeing soldiers and their families. IRR is when you live life like a normal civilian, no weekends or anything, but the military has the chance to bring you back to active duty if they need you. I have heard that this hasn't happened since Vietnam. I think if you take a 3 year scholarship or less, you will do 3 years active duty and 5 IRR.
If you specialize right out of school it will most likely be a military sponsered residency and that means that you will be paid just the same as you would if you weren't in the residency except you wouldn't get one of the special pays which right now is $4000 a year. So I guess you would get paid $4000 less than you would if you just worked as a dentist in the military. You wouldn't have to pay for any of the schooling. Yes you owe two more years, but they run concurrently with the active duty commitment. So you would owe two years from residency, but if you took a 4 year scholarship you would only have to be on active duty for those 4 years. Then you would have only two years left of IRR, because residency does payback IRR but not Active duty commitment.
Summary: if you took a 4 year scholarship and did a two year residency right after school this is the scenario. graduate from dental school then do 2 years (residency) + 4 years (a 4 year from school and a 2year commitment from residency paid back concurrently)+2 years of IRR.

GO to the military medicine forum...Read the skickys that they have in there. There is a lot of good information there.

The whole "dentistry" forum is nice, but people tend to be nearsighted and forget that there is a plethora of information already in the military medicine forum...and the terms of the scholarships are identical (minus the parts about residencies).