HPSP...is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbutz02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into the Army Health Profession Scholarship Program and does anyone have any advice? It is really worth it? Obviously not having any debts coming out of med school would be nice but the chance that you could be pulled into service before finishing your residency to serve as a GMO really bothers me. And considering our position in the world right now who knows what the military's need will be in 5 years.
Is anyone else in the application process right now? Any advice would be useful. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

dbutz02 said:
I've been looking into the Army Health Profession Scholarship Program and does anyone have any advice? It is really worth it? Obviously not having any debts coming out of med school would be nice but the chance that you could be pulled into service before finishing your residency to serve as a GMO really bothers me. And considering our position in the world right now who knows what the military's need will be in 5 years.
Is anyone else in the application process right now? Any advice would be useful. :confused:

I applied for the HPSP and for admission to USUHS. I really liked the idea of coming out of med school debt free. Plus, I grew up as a military brat, and I like military life. However, after thinking about it for a while, I declined my acceptance to USUHS and withdrew my HPSP application. For me, it wasn't worth the money. I didn't like the idea of letting Bush's decisions potentially screw over my life. Who knows where we will be fighting in a few years. As a woman, I also didn't like the idea of having to leave my kids (if i have kids) for multiple months. I don't think I could handle it.

But of course, only you can decide whether the miliary is right for you. Many people love it, and you get great trauma experience and you get to see a lot of the world (awesome public health opportunities). You should check out the Military Med Forum. There are lots of threads about the pros and cons of military medicine.

Personally, this is currently my top choice route for med school
My cousin finished med school there and is now doing residency in hawaii, and he likes the military a lot. Lots of opportunities + benefits as tinkerbelle said.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeahps. I applied to USUHS, got waitlist for the AF, and I'm applying to HPSP. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it, but we'll see. still gotta decide. but i agree with tinke.

dbutz02 said:

It's worth it as long as you realize that when everyone else is setting up their practices, you will be shot at in the Middle East.

thanks for the advice and recommending the military med forum. Good luck

I'd only sign up if you're happy with the idea of serving, one day.

The HPSP is a great way to pay for med school, but only accept it if you are 100% OK with the ramifications. I applied for the Navy scholarship when I first started the med school application process, but in the end declined the scholarship when I decided to go to my state school (roughly $20,000-30,000 cheaper per year than the private schools with no loss in quality of education). I just didn't think that the money should be the main reason triggering my decision to join, since most doctors are able to pay back their loans with no problems. I know several people who are involved with the program, although with different branches (including my brother who is in the Air Force program). Of the people that were in my Scholarship "class", one was sent to serve in Japan, one to Flight school in San Diego, and the other is on the front lines in Baghdad, Iraq and has been involved in several live combat situations (and he's in the Navy!). My brother is currently doing his fellowship and will not start his active duty until he finishes. Then he will owe the Air Force 4-5 years.
My main reason for declining was the time commitment. How was I supposed to know what field I wanted to specialize in when I was only a premed? What if the military didn't offer any training in the field I chose? What if the military had other plans for me like they did for my friend that is currently in Iraq? All these factors seemed to be entirely uncertain to me at the time of my acceptance. I figured that I could still join the reserves at any time after I had completed my training, if I still wanted to be in the military. That hasn't happened yet! Fortunately, I made the right decision for what I wanted and I do not regret having turned the scholarship down. Just make sure you take these stories into account when you make your decision. Good luck with whatever route you choose!

dbutz02 said:

if you do not feel you have a calling to serve your country, it is not worth it.

I've been working with, living among, and married to the military for the past 10 years. There have been incredible times, and I wouldn't be where I am today (wherever that may be) if I hadn't done it... and masochistically, I'd probably do it again. I have good friends who are Army docs, friends who are attending USUHS, and a wonderful girlfriend who just finished up her HPSP commitment. The military offers the potential for great experience, but ask yourself these three questions before deciding:

1) Do you like sand?
2) Do you like being a pawn (yes, even as a mighty junior officer)?
3) Does the thought of a 70% divorce rate bother you (getting even higher with Operation Iraqi Freedom)?

You all make great points for both sides...the family thing bothers me because it's important to me and I could see how it would stress the relationship. I'm well into the application for the army and obviously the recruiter hasn't said a negative word yet and I've blasted him with questions...
Can anyone guess how he'd respond if I told him I wasn't interested anymore? ha.
I'm still swaying though...I wouldn't do it just for the money, I like aspects of the military and I hate debts...the idea of owing 200k scares me but like everyone has said most doctors are able to pay it off easily.
jvarga what did your recruiter say?
Thanks for the advice

dbutz02 said:

I looked at the HPSP as well, but decided to go through the State Guard. With them, they don't pay for it up front but pay back $50,000 of your student loans in residency...they pay you guard pay + other incentive $ when in med school and residency...and your 7 years of med school and residency count towards your army retirement.

Personally - especially if you are over 30 - I think it's a better deal.

virilep said:
yeahps. I applied to USUHS, got waitlist for the AF, and I'm applying to HPSP. I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it, but we'll see. still gotta decide. but i agree with tinke.

Hey virilep, when did you find out you were waitlisted at USUHS? How did they let you know?

Do you get to choose what your speciality will be or will the military get to decide that for you? Do they send doctors to certain places based on what their speciality is?

dbutz02 said:
You all make great points for both sides...the family thing bothers me because it's important to me and I could see how it would stress the relationship. I'm well into the application for the army and obviously the recruiter hasn't said a negative word yet and I've blasted him with questions...
Can anyone guess how he'd respond if I told him I wasn't interested anymore? ha.
I'm still swaying though...I wouldn't do it just for the money, I like aspects of the military and I hate debts...the idea of owing 200k scares me but like everyone has said most doctors are able to pay it off easily.
jvarga what did your recruiter say?
Thanks for the advice

I actually just went through a similar situation. I applied for the army one and was pretty far into the process when I decided to relinquish the scholarship. The main factor was that I could not make such a life-altering decision that would potentially not even affect me for 8+ years (ie. assuming 4-5 years med school w/research year, then doing at least a 3 year civilian residency if so chosen) at the time. I thought back to 5 years ago when I started undergrad, and how I never even imagined I would be in med school next year (I probably would've thought grad school even 3 years ago). And I thought from day 1 I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Point being that I cannot imagine where I will be over the next 10 years, and the thoughts of having a family and wanting to choose where I live are too much for me to want to limit that now. I'll be honest and admit the prospect of financial freedom was enticing; however, after much more thought there is no way I can justify that as a compelling reason. I agree there are benefits to the program, including having both an army and civilian match, seeing different parts of the country/world you may not have otherwise, fulfilling your duty to your country, but I was afraid to do something I will later regret. The army will always be there, and if this is something that is still attractive while you are further in med school or beyond, your involvement would still be welcomed.

I was hesitant to tell my recruiter at first, but he was more than understanding. Good luck with this difficult decision.

Skichic56 said:
I actually just went through a similar situation. I applied for the army one and was pretty far into the process when I decided to relinquish the scholarship. The main factor was that I could not make such a life-altering decision that would potentially not even affect me for 8+ years (ie. assuming 4-5 years med school w/research year, then doing at least a 3 year civilian residency if so chosen) at the time. I thought back to 5 years ago when I started undergrad, and how I never even imagined I would be in med school next year (I probably would've thought grad school even 3 years ago). And I thought from day 1 I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Point being that I cannot imagine where I will be over the next 10 years, and the thoughts of having a family and wanting to choose where I live are too much for me to want to limit that now. I'll be honest and admit the prospect of financial freedom was enticing; however, after much more thought there is no way I can justify that as a compelling reason. I agree there are benefits to the program, including having both an army and civilian match, seeing different parts of the country/world you may not have otherwise, fulfilling your duty to your country, but I was afraid to do something I will later regret. The army will always be there, and if this is something that is still attractive while you are further in med school or beyond, your involvement would still be welcomed.

I was hesitant to tell my recruiter at first, but he was more than understanding. Good luck with this difficult decision.

Exactly...who knows what I'll want to do in 8 years...I'll want to do what I want to do and not the army, that's the truth of the matter. I respect the army deeply and there are many aspects that attract me to serving this country but when it comes down to it the underlying reason I would do it is for the money and the majority of med students take out loans and they all survive and pay them off quite easily. I think I'll take my chances I want to have a family and be able to choose where what my future holds.
Thanks for all the advice

oldredleg said:
Hey virilep, when did you find out you were waitlisted at USUHS? How did they let you know?
hey, I found via snail mail. i interview on 12/16 and got the letter like 1/16ish

My recruiter was not a happy camper when I told him I would decline. He tried to make me feel guilty about having gotten a "free" physical paid for by uncle sam and also tried to tell me that I was under obligation to accept since I had applied. Fortunately, I figured out that I had more than paid enough taxes to cover the costs of many physicals and that I was under no such obligation to accept the scholarship (I don't know if the rules have changed since I applied several years ago). I realized that the recruiter was under a lot of pressure to land as many recruits as he could, and I knew that it must not look good to lose a candidate so late in the process. Since he was genuinely a nice guy, I held no harsh feelings despite the harrassment (yes, I did recieve regular phone calls -- up to two years later -- to see if I would change my mind). To reiterate my point, he was a nice guy and did answer all of my questions in an honest and professional fashion. Those questions that he could not answer, he would refer to the appropriate personnel (i.e. actual MDs that went through the same program). Just remember that their whole job is to get you to join. It is your job to find out all of the pertinent information that will affect your future and make an informed decision without the recruiters input. My recommendation is that you make the decision with family members (i.e. wife, mom, dad, kids), since they too will be affected by this decision. Once you make your decision, stick to your guns and don't let the recruiter (or anyone else) sweet talk you into changing your mind. Remember, whatever decision you reach WILL be the right one! Good luck.