HPSP Navy medical scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kburk31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied for the HPSP scholarship. My recuiter said it went before the board April 9. I was wondering whenI might get an answer on my application. Will I hear back this month.

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied for the HPSP scholarship. My recuiter said it went before the board April 9. I was wondering whenI might get an answer on my application. Will I hear back this month.

Probably, but remember that a professional recommendation is only part of the equation. You also need to be physically qualified and pass a security background check.

Probably, but remember that a professional recommendation is only part of the equation. You also need to be physically qualified and pass a security background check.

In my opinion most HPSP applicants get the scholarship. Anyone has hard data?

Members don't see this ad :)

From about 2yrs ago to about 6yrs ago there was a real decline in the number of applicants and those who qualified were basically guaranteed the scholarship. Prior to that and over the last couple years there has been some competition for the scholarship, but I wouldn't call it "stiff" at all.

If you are a competitive applicant for medical school you will likely be competitive for the scholarship. If you are on the lower end of applicants you may have trouble getting (talking the 4yr scholarship) it if applications are aplenty.

These days it is 10-15% no. Even in the darkest days, there were applicants turned down, but very few.

If you have a GPA over 3.25, an MCAT with no 7s or below, and no blatantly obvious character flaws, it is unlikely you will be turned down unless all the scholarships have been given out.

Hi,

My recruiter just called me. He said that even though the program manager told him that I was at the April Board, I really was not. He said basically that my application was never officially submitted by the program manager. Now he said I am now at the May Board. That they never actually looked at my application.

Ken

Is this a common occurrence? I myself was supposed to go in front of boards on April 1st but I got bumped back to April 16 even though I was told everything was all set.

These days it is 10-15% no. Even in the darkest days, there were applicants turned down, but very few.

If you have a GPA over 3.25, an MCAT with no 7s or below, and no blatantly obvious character flaws, it is unlikely you will be turned down unless all the scholarships have been given out.

Here are my stats

A 3.5 GPA with a BS degree in Biomedical science. A MCAT score of 27R.

I honestly do not know. My application was suppose to go to a board in March but there were too many applicants in front of me. Then I was told today I was pushed to the May board.

Ken

Is this a common occurrence? I myself was supposed to go in front of boards on April 1st but I got bumped back to April 16 even though I was told everything was all set.

My recruiter told me my application was complete and submitted the first week of March.

Hi,

My recruiter just called me. He said that even though the program manager told him that I was at the April Board, I really was not. He said basically that my application was never officially submitted by the program manager. Now he said I am now at the May Board. That they never actually looked at my application.

Ken

I think this is a way for the board to hold my application to make a decision. Although they are gonna have to sooner or later. If I hope there is somone who can give me an explanation.

Here are my stats

A 3.5 GPA with a BS degree in Biomedical science. A MCAT score of 27R.

You should be fine. I know some individuals with worse scores than that. I don't know when the board results will be released.

Thats what my recruiter told me.

You should be fine. I know some individuals with worse scores than that. I don't know when the board results will be released.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried contacting HPSP directly?

Try emailing "Code OH" or giving them a call on the phone if you haven't yet. They're nice people and will answer your questions probably better than most people on this forum can.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

BTW I've already contacted them. Just for everyone's information there is a different program manager that over see the review board for the HPSP and HPSC scholarship applicants. The above website is really for those who have already had scholarship offers and accepted them so they can get their paper work through and know what to do when in the program. When I e-mailed the lady, she said she was not part of the professional review board and had no idea. The contact information for those people is closed.

Ken

And I assume you've also tried all the contacts on this page?

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/Recruiter.aspx

BTW I've already contacted them. Just for everyone's information there is a different program manager that over see the review board for the HPSP and HPSC scholarship applicants. The above website is really for those who have already had scholarship offers and accepted them so they can get their paper work through and know what to do when in the program. When I e-mailed the lady, she said she was not part of the professional review board and had no idea. The contact information for those people is closed.

Ken

My recruiter now is telling me my application did go through the board, we are just waiting on the results.

This thread is a great example of the hurry up and wait aspect of military life. If you want to succeed in the military you have to be patient. The wheels of the DoD turn slowly but surely.

My recruiter now is telling me my application did go through the board, we are just waiting on the results.

Great! You know the status. Enjoy the brief moments of peace before medical school and fulfilling military obligation. Mostly likely you will get the HPSP. That is the easy part (only in the beginning).

As IgD mentioned in the military you will need to wait and be patient. For example you will wait about 3 months after MAJ board selection before seeing your name for MAJ promotion and wait one more year to pin the rank etc.

I am going into the Navy hopefully. There is a difference between the Navy and the rest of the armed forces as far as what the officers are called. A pay grade of 0-3 in the Navy is a LT while a pay grade in Army/Airforce/Marine is Captain. An 0-4 in the Navy is Lt. Commander while for the Army/Airforce/Marines is Major. Anyway I will let yall know as I find somthing out.

Ken

There is no such thing as a Major in the Navy.

I am going into the Navy hopefully. There is a difference between the Navy and the rest of the armed forces as far as what the officers are called. A pay grade of 0-3 in the Navy is a LT while a pay grade in Army/Airforce/Marine is Captain. An 0-4 in the Navy is Lt. Commander while for the Army/Airforce/Marines is Major. Anyway I will let yall know as I find somthing out.

Ken

You come to cross me now as rather argumentative, compulsive, impatient guy. My point was not there is Major in the Navy. While I appreciate your correction (not that I didn't know) you will become very easily frustrated in the military if you do not understand my earier points as well as IgD's. I spent over 10 years in military medicine and I am trying to give you some insights here.

Ken

Wow, Ken, buddy, if you act like this on AD, I foresee a short, miserable Navy career for you.
A) loosen up a bit and be patient. You're looking at one tree. Your tree. Look at the forest.
B) attending >> resident >> med student just as much as O-4 >> O-3 >>O-1. Be respectful of your elders who are trying to help you.

Grab a beer and relax a little. You've got nothing but time.

Wow, Ken, buddy, if you act like this on AD, I foresee a short, miserable Navy career for you.
A) loosen up a bit and be patient. You're looking at one tree. Your tree. Look at the forest.
B) attending >> resident >> med student just as much as O-4 >> O-3 >>O-1. Be respectful of your elders who are trying to help you.

Grab a beer and relax a little. You've got nothing but time.
:thumbup:

I know I am a Navy veteran. But now I am a civilian. I am sure I am not the only one who went before the April board. I was really looking to see if anyone else was at that same board or waiting for a decision on the same scholarship. I dont know any of you, and taking my simple corrections as being augmentative is silly at best. I think yall need to chill.... :cool:.

Last edited:
I know I am a Navy veteran. But now I am a civilian. I am sure I am not the only one who went before the April board. I was really looking to see if anyone else was at that same board or waiting for a decision on the same scholarship. I dont know any of you, and taking my simple corrections as being augmentative is silly at best. I think yall need to chill.... :cool:.

I don't think it was argumentative, but I was agreeing with the previous post in that it is important to be patient during the process. It took me quite some time to hear back from the board. Don't stress about it.

See you in the fall

I don't think it was argumentative, but I was agreeing with the previous post in that it is important to be patient during the process. It took me quite some time to hear back from the board. Don't stress about it.

See you in the fall

See ya in the fall.

Ken

So my recruiter just called and said I am going to the board tomorrow. Seems like the notification wait is brutal, standard really. Here is to hurrying up to wait!:xf:

For those of you waiting....a whole bunch of records were reviewed last week. Results should be to Recruiting Command this week.

I'm in the same boat as the OP... So sorry to hear about your rejection :( I've been waiting for a final decision and losing hope. Haven't heard back from my recruiter in over a week; last thing he said was 'hopefully we'll get a qualification letter next week' (I.e last week). There has been holdup after holdup since March, mostly involving tracking down my ancient medical records and in some cases re-sending records that had already been sent to my recruiter before. Anyway, he said I was already professionally recommended.

Any idea how many medical scholarships are still left at this point? Or any other relevant information, e.g. frequency of board meetings?

EDIT: By the way, I got a letter from an Army HPSP recruiter today, forwarded as an email attachment from my med school's admissions office (although the letter was dated April 1, and addressed to 'class of 2015'). Anybody else? It basically said that the army has a definitive need of physicians and I would need to hurry up and call him before classes start, if I wanted this scholarship. I'm actually considering this... don't know how long I should keep holding out for the Navy. Any comments/suggestions?

Last edited:
Finally got an email back from my recruiter... He is still waiting to hear back from the one(s?) in charge of physical qualifications. He had asked me to send him a handwritten statement addressing the fact that certain medical records of mine (for when I used an inhaler over 10 years ago) no longer exist.

Anyway... Ugh. If there's no scholarships left, as I fear, I just want to know. But it looks like there's still more waiting :/

AKR,
Do you know if your application has already gone in front of the board or are they still in the process of reviewing your application for completeness or were you given a field select? I am sure the Navy has scholarships left so don't lose hope. This process can just take a LONG time. You might want to shoot a message to NAVY FP. He seems dialed in to the selection process and might give you some insight. Keep giving updates so that others in the same boat might have an idea about what is going on.

Thanks crabdoc for the response!
I'm still fuzzy about the selection process. What I THINK has happened is that I was 'field select,' and my application has been before the board, and roughly 2 weeks ago they said I was professionally recommended... they just needed to resolve the issue of my non-existent records of childhood inhaler use, and also my dual citizenship. Does that sound about right? Waiting *impatiently* to hear about the medical record issue before we deal with the citizenship issue (and I don't know how long that would take).

I also got a voicemail from the army HPSP recruiter - they still have some slots, and he said I should go ahead and start applying if I want it. Even this late in the fiscal year! I suppose I would have nothing to lose.

they just needed to resolve the issue of my non-existent records of childhood inhaler use, and also my dual citizenship.

I also got a voicemail from the army HPSP recruiter - they still have some slots, and he said I should go ahead and start applying if I want it. Even this late in the fiscal year! I suppose I would have nothing to lose.

Akr,

While I cannot speak for the other Services, I can tell you that a dual citizenship can be a show stopper for the Army. If you decide to go the Army route, you must show evidence of having relinquished your citizenship to the other country before any benefits will be released to you or on your behalf.

Akr,

While I cannot speak for the other Services, I can tell you that a dual citizenship can be a show stopper for the Army. If you decide to go the Army route, you must show evidence of having relinquished your citizenship to the other country before any benefits will be released to you or on your behalf.

Yeah, I think it's that way for the Navy too. I'd be fully ready to relinquish my other citizenship... I'm just waiting for further instructions at the moment. My recruiter didn't want to have me do that and then still be denied the scholarship for other reasons. I will see what the army recruiter says about it too though...

Army recruiter said I may or may not have to give up my other citizenship down the road... But right now he's trying to rush me through all that other paperwork ASAP (recommendation letters, transcripts, statement, etc). Still no updates from my Navy recruiter!

And by the way, didn't mean to hijack this thread! OP, I'd love to hear what you're doing now, did they give you any insights as to why you got rejected? Did they say anything about possibly a partial scholarship later?

Army recruiter said I may or may not have to give up my other citizenship down the road... But right now he's trying to rush me through all that other paperwork ASAP (recommendation letters, transcripts, statement, etc). Still no updates from my Navy recruiter!

And by the way, didn't mean to hijack this thread! OP, I'd love to hear what you're doing now, did they give you any insights as to why you got rejected? Did they say anything about possibly a partial scholarship later?

Dual citizenship shouldn't be a problem for HPSP acceptance or getting commissioned as an officer. It may be an issue and cause some delays in obtaining a security clearance.

Thanks. If I missed out on getting a 4-year HPSP, I'll definitely be considering the FAP as well... I see that both programs have their pros and cons. But I'm quite sold on the HPSP at this point; if I get offered a 4-year scholarship I will definitely accept. As for partial HPSP's, the army recruiter said there were no partial scholarships left. It seemed like he meant that for the 2015 graduating class, only 4-year scholarships were left, so I couldn't apply for army HPSP after my first day of class anymore. The Navy recruiter, on the other hand, just said that he wasn't sure there would be any more 20K bonuses available for partial scholarships of the 2015 class... or something like that (it was a while ago).

My Navy recruiter says that I've been 'slotted for a scholarship,' and final select has been pending medical qualification (which finally happened today!). He wants to make sure I get that final select letter, which should be within the next week, then begin the steps towards renouncing my other citizenship.

I sent off my Army application just in case... but it looks like I will be joining the Navy!

any news on how many scholarships are left Navy wise? thanks

No idea. My recruiter mentioned last week that there are still some, but wasn't any more specific than that.

I'm expecting further news this week, but haven't heard anything more since the last time I posted. Although apparently my physical evaluation at MEPS is no longer accessible, so my application with the army cannot continue at the moment. I guess the Navy blocked it? It's a slightly awkward/confusing situation... But I've emailed the recruiters of both branches about it now so I will just continue to wait it out!

I got my acceptance letter and will be signing my contract some point next week. But discovering this sub forum has been very nerve-wrecking because everything I'm reading so far seems like everyone going into the program is excited and everyone coming out of it regretted it.... :/ eep