Hunter College or City College??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magdany

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I applied to both Hunter and CCNY. Now, when I am accepted to both I am not sure which one will be better choice for pre med. I found some info about those colleges but all posts are old. If you have more current information I will be gratefull.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advices. I'm already in the college on math&science major. For now I'm not worried about the grades, I still have 4.0 GPA. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me something about pre med programs in those schools. One of my professors told me that CCNY has better labs, some other told me that a lot of people complain about science professors in Hunter. I would like somebody to confirm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advices. I'm already in the college on math&science major. For now I'm not worried about the grades, I still have 4.0 GPA. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me something about pre med programs in those schools. One of my professors told me that CCNY has better labs, some other told me that a lot of people complain about science professors in Hunter. I would like somebody to confirm...

People complain about the Bio professor, Dr. Alie, but she is not here this year, and I am not sure if she is coming back. Supposedly Bio at Hunter is the "weave out" course, in the sense that it is the course that is extra hard in the pre-med curriculum as opposed to the usual orgo courses. (ie: typically one of the premed courses is made extra difficult in order to use as yet another weaving out mechanism. While most people complain about orgo at most schools, at Hunter, this is freshman Bio) But this might change since the professor left. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juSD7PXurZA hence the youtube vid made in her honor :laugh:

My best friends go to Hunter, so I am more biased toward Hunter than City College. It is an easy school, and a worthy CUNY. Shouldn't be too difficult to keep a 3.7+ GPA there. Its easily accessibly by train, and located in the UES. When I visited the school I personally hated it because I felt that the building itself is disgusting. It reminded me of a Junior High School building on steroids (larger hallways). Plus they have construction going on for god knows how many years now. That was my opinion of it however. I am sensitive to the environment and the atmosphere, and the place honestly made me feel claustrophobic. You literally step over people to get to where you have to, and everyone pushes and shoves you. This is not the experience I got from other NYC schools. I wouldn't be able to tell you much about City College though. Where ever you go, you will get a decent education, a VERY affordable one, and quality knowledge to take your MCAT. You can't go wrong with either choice. If it were me, I'd go to Hunter.

Btw, college prestige really doesn't matter. Both schools I presume output a decent amount of med students each year. So don't worry about that.

Just go to whichever one is more convenient and get straight A's. CCNY has somewhat of a campus though if you want that.

My friend goes to Hunter and is a pre-med- he wasnt too thrilled with it. It's easy yes i remember he got to write a note card with w.e. he wanted for one classes exam, and another where the prof. dropped one of their midterm grades if their final exam was higher. But for him it was a location thing- he ended up having to commute out of jersey city and it was a pain for him- he'd routinely get caught up in traffic/train delays and he actually missed an exam because of it once. If the location isnt an issue for you- id say you can most likely get an A in all Hunter courses, but despite it being a commuter school its def. not set up to accommodate their needs as much. Also- he HATED the advisers, he said the older students were way more helpful to him.
Overall, hes planning on transferring out despite the easy grades b/c of location and advisers- i cant give u much insight beyond that b/c he hasnt taken his MCAT yet- so im not really sure how well prepared he is for things like that etc.

Good luck to you, i hope i helped a little bit.

You don't need an adviser if you are aware of the SDN network. Just use the advisers at the school for the committee letter.

You don't need an adviser if you are aware of the SDN network. Just use the advisers at the school for the committee letter.

Amen, SDN brother :thumbup:

OP, like I said, those CUNY's are pretty equivalent. Hunter is in a better neighborhood too. So that is one of a few reasons why I would choose it over city college

Hello,
I didn't get into hunter with my stats:

3.85 gpa
Cr for sat: 490
Math for sat: 670

Anyone tell me why?? Plz help!