Hygienist applying to dental school?? Question about classifying hygiene courses....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossBoss22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I have some questions for any hygienists out there who are applying/applied to dental school.. How did you classify your hygiene courses? I.e would a Cariology course be considered a oral microbiology course? What about Periodontics? Also, what hygiene courses did you classify as 'other science' and did ADEA agree or disagree with your designations? Thanks so much for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hygiene courses are considered other science. I just looked at my app from last cycle and that is what all my hygiene courses are categorized as. If the course was a DEH course, like perio, it is other science. If it is an allied health course such as intro to chemistry, it is chemistry, bio etc. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hey,

Just want to clarify! So the hygiene science courses will count as science? e.g pharmacology, periodontics, local anesthesia, radiology, oral anatomy and physiology, oral embryology and histology and oral pathology?

secondly, how will the clinical lecture and clinical lab courses will be classified? also bio materials and medical emergencies?

Thanks for all the help! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Just want to clarify! So the hygiene science courses will count as science? e.g pharmacology, periodontics, local anesthesia, radiology, oral anatomy and physiology, oral embryology and histology and oral pathology?

secondly, how will the clinical lecture and clinical lab courses will be classified? also bio materials and medical emergencies?

Oral anatomy/physiology, histology, pathology, pharmacology would be 'biology'. Perio, LA, radiology and dental materials would be 'other science'. I think clinic would be non-science. I believe that this is how I categorized my DH classes and did not have any problems with AADSAS. Not sure about medical emergencies because it was not a separate course for me, maybe 'other science'.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

You could also make your own decisions based on this list http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G...l_ADEA_AADSAS/ADEA-AADSAS-Course-Subjects.pdf

Reactions: 1 user