I am a pre-pharmacy student but I am wanting to go into medical school instead now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanatistheb

Reaction score
It's not like I'm totally against going into pharmacy. I still think it's interesting but giving it more thought, I like how doctors can do physical examinations and diagnosis patients. Pharmacists can't do that and yes they can counsel but I don't think I'd get the satisfaction out of that . I'm in my third year of undergraduate and I've been working as a pharmacy technician for awhile and I'm on board for the pre-pharmacy club. I've always tried to decide between pharmacy school and medical school and I thought my calling was pharmacy but I've thought about it again and now I'm hesitant. I'm so close to finishing undergraduate and I'm doing all these things related to pharmacy, would I still have a chance if I applied to medical school? My GPA isn't so good at the moment (3.3) and I haven't taken the MCAT. I've volunteered a bit and I was a PCA for half a year at a senior home. I just need someone to help show me my options and why or why shouldn't I stay in pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

if you don't know what u wanna do, what do u expect others to help you?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not like I'm totally against going into pharmacy. I still think it's interesting but giving it more thought, I like how doctors can do physical examinations and diagnosis patients. Pharmacists can't do that and yes they can counsel but I don't think I'd get the satisfaction out of that . I'm in my third year of undergraduate and I've been working as a pharmacy technician for awhile and I'm on board for the pre-pharmacy club. I've always tried to decide between pharmacy school and medical school and I thought my calling was pharmacy but I've thought about it again and now I'm hesitant. I'm so close to finishing undergraduate and I'm doing all these things related to pharmacy, would I still have a chance if I applied to medical school? My GPA isn't so good at the moment (3.3) and I haven't taken the MCAT. I've volunteered a bit and I was a PCA for half a year at a senior home. I just need someone to help show me my options and why or why shouldn't I stay in pharmacy.

To each their own, but I would hardly define a job a sole "calling." Fishing / Hunting are my callings (they just don't pay the bills, no matter how many youtube clips I could do with state record bucks and angler fish ;) )

To avoid rose colored glasses, you need to shadow a variety of attendings and look at the pros and cons. Matter of fact, I don't see why you shouldn't shadow different healthcare fields during your last year of undergrad (PAs, NPs, Physical Therapists, Dentists, Optometrists, etc.). Whatever decisions you make, your looking at sacrificing the next 4 to 10 years to study for a career that you'll be pulling six figure loans out to pursue.

No matter what you are pondering, you need to get your GPA with an upward trend. Ask some of our adcoms on the site: your sGPA needs to be hovering at a 3.5 or better to really set you up for an MD route. Not only that, but until you take the MCAT there is no way in telling if you are ready to apply to any MD/DO program. Do all the prerequisites for a majority of your healthcare fields so you set yourself up with more opportunities.

Other than that: presuming you had a 4.0 GPA, 1000 hours of volunteer work, 2 years in a pharmacy and 2 years as a phlebotomist, perfect score on PCAT & MCAT, 500 hours of shadowing physicians, PAs, NPs, on and on and on.....most would say go MD/DO route. For your final questionnaire: Pharmacy is saturated with wages lowering and tuition costs being as high as some MD schools without the potential pay. Pick your Poison.

TLDR; Jobs are hardly a calling. No one knows what you want. Do all prereqs and shadow a variety of healthcare fields (even those that diagnose and prescribe). Your GPA needs to be higher. Without a MCAT score no one can say what chance you have (although as said, your GPA is on the low end). Pharmacy is saturated and wages are going lower. In a perfect GPA + PCAT + MCAT score of a world, go MD/DO route.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also look at computer science or engineering. These professions pay as well as pharmacy if not better, are in high demand, are less stressful, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4-8 years of your life in school and residency.

• Haha
A lot of people are in your shoes, it happens. Weigh your options on both sides and follow your heart. Private msg me if you want to talk more. I can help you (I'm currently a pharmacy student).

GPA should be at least 3.6 and MCAT should be around 510. These stats should get you into a mid-tier school. Research, volunteering, and shadowing are also vital.

I would also look at computer science or engineering. These professions pay as well as pharmacy if not better, are in high demand, are less stressful, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4-8 years of your life in school and residency.

Computer science pays a lot more (assuming you have natural talent for it), but I fail to see the relevance as there was no mention of enjoying mathematics in the original post.

Reactions: 2 users
Do it. Go to med school. Do not go to pharmacy school.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Some schools such as midwestern have a 1 year “masters in biomedical science” which helps secure you a spot in any of their other programs if you meet a certain GPA in the 1 year program. Look into applying for that it just adds extra debt but it allows for you to go into DO or Dental if you don’t quite have the GPA yet.

It's definitely not "too late" to choose med school. I myself only started thinking about it in junior year of college, and several in my class are coming from other longer careers. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and why you are doing it. It might cause you to take a few or several more years before you get to start school compared to your original plans. Also have a backup plan going forward because most applicants don't make it.

I think you pretty much answered your own question. You mentioned how you liked that doctors can do physical examinations and diagnose patients. Pharmacists can never do that. You also mentioned that you don’t think that you’ll get satisfaction from doing pharmacist consultations. Guess what? You’re going to be a very unsatisfied pharmacist if you choose to continue this route. Most of the time you’re going to have to deal with customer service if you’re lucky enough to land a retail position. You will always have to deal with customers screaming at you on why do they have a $1 co-pay? If your pharmacy doesn’t take their insurance, they’ll insist that their insurance always covered everything. Pharmacists always get the blame whenever the customer can’t get their meds or if their co-pay increases. Save yourself the trouble and don’t be one of those pharmacy students who drop out halfway through school.

Reactions: 2 users

So are the plumbing/electrician jobs which pay 100$ an hour with just 6 months of trade school.

Reactions: 1 users
So are the plumbing/electrician jobs which pay 100$ an hour with just 6 months of trade school.

Where can I find a plumber for only $100/hr? It costs $300 just to get them in the door.

Those are physically laborious jobs with major inconsistency in working hours, not like you earn $100/hr every hour every day.

Those are physically laborious jobs with major inconsistency in working hours, not like you earn $100/hr every hour every day.
As opposed to sitting at home unemployed with quarter million in student loans... Its not like you are breaking rocks.. It is a skill nonetheless which requires 6 months of training.

Some schools such as midwestern have a 1 year “masters in biomedical science” which helps secure you a spot in any of their other programs if you meet a certain GPA in the 1 year program. Look into applying for that it just adds extra debt but it allows for you to go into DO or Dental if you don’t quite have the GPA yet.
Do not stay in pharmacy. It is too saturated, especially retail. And if you choose the clinical pharmacy route, you would be doing a residency of 1-2 years and getting the exact same pay as a medical resident with less benefits and no guarantee of a job afterwards unlike a medical resident, who will get a guaranteed job afterwards.
Definitely shadow many physicians from PCP to Internal Med to Surgery.
Your GPA is not competitive for MD schools. You need a 3.7 or above GPA in undergrad. You could have a shot at DO if you score above a 510 on the MCAT. If you want MD instead of DO, you would need to score an MCAT above 510 and apply for Special Masters in Physiology in Georgetown or Ole Miss or some of mid west schools that offer master in Biomedical sciences. But, the SMP in Georgetown is more beneficial because you take the same courses as M1 student and get graded like them. If you make a 3.7 or above, you will get into MD schools If you get from around 3.4-3.6, you have a better chance at DO schools.

Also, do you have clinical work experience. Try working as a EMT and see if you like it. That will make you stand out as a applicant. But the most important is your GPA. You need to fix the GPA.

Last edited by a moderator: