I am in a tough situation and need some help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiBoy98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow pharmacy peeps. My situation is that currently I have been accepted to a well recognized pharmacy school with naplex passing rate of 95%+. Despite getting accepted to pharmacy in fall of my junior year fall 2018, I still have continued to enroll in classes in order to finish my bachelor's degree in biochemistry. Currently my gpa is 3.5 cumulative and 3.4 science gpa with 3 years of pharmacy tech experience and 2 years of volunteering and shadowing a dr at a clinic. After reading many threads about pharmacy being saturated, I now have doubts on if I should start pharmacy school this fall 2019 or decline my acceptance and finish up the 20 credits hrs of senior year left to graduate with a bachelor's and go on to pursue Md or DO school. Also I have been preparing for the mcat for few months now and planning on taking it in july but getting an average score in my practice exams. I am afraid that what if I reject pharmacy school acceptance and in the future when I apply to do/md schools that I don't get in. I feel like I will regret my decision and end up no where by wasting years and with just bachelor's. So I was hoping if any of you can help and advise the best option for me. Also my overall goal is to contribute in the health industry and make an impact on patients life and Yes I HAVE THOUGHT about this millions of times and can't seem to pick one so was hoping if any advise or recommendations would be helpful. Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I will regret my decision and end up no where by wasting years and with just bachelor's.

Don't go to pharmacy school because simply because you don't want to waste your bachelor's. It is a sunk cost. Just because you have already spent your time and money on a bachelors does not mean it will give you future returns.

By going to pharmacy school you will waste your Bachelor's AND an additional $200k+ loans and 4 years of your life for another devalued degree to your name.

I would look at other professions, i.e. computer programming, engineering, finance, accounting, the trades, etc. that pay well, offer far better job prospects, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

Reactions: 3 users
Take the MCAT and boost your GPA, then apply to DO, MD, or PA schools depending on your interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello my fellow pharmacy peeps. My situation is that currently I have been accepted to a well recognized pharmacy school with naplex passing rate of 95%+. Despite getting accepted to pharmacy in fall of my junior year fall 2018, I still have continued to enroll in classes in order to finish my bachelor's degree in biochemistry. Currently my gpa is 3.5 cumulative and 3.4 science gpa with 3 years of pharmacy tech experience and 2 years of volunteering and shadowing a dr at a clinic. After reading many threads about pharmacy being saturated, I now have doubts on if I should start pharmacy school this fall 2019 or decline my acceptance and finish up the 20 credits hrs of senior year left to graduate with a bachelor's and go on to pursue Md or DO school. Also I have been preparing for the mcat for few months now and planning on taking it in july but getting an average score in my practice exams. I am afraid that what if I reject pharmacy school acceptance and in the future when I apply to do/md schools that I don't get in. I feel like I will regret my decision and end up no where by wasting years and with just bachelor's. So I was hoping if any of you can help and advise the best option for me. Also my overall goal is to contribute in the health industry and make an impact on patients life and Yes I HAVE THOUGHT about this millions of times and can't seem to pick one so was hoping if any advise or recommendations would be helpful. Thank You!
you sound really smart. Don't worry. You will do great in MCAT. Don't go for Pharmacy school. You will regret it big time after you graduate in 2023. Be positive. Keep on doing the hard work. You will make it to Med school. In worst case if you can not, you can still go for PA. There are many schools where you can finish PA in 2 years after bachelors. I did not try enough for med school and I did pharmacy school instead. I work at hospital but still I wish I would have gone for PA and my life style would have been totally different. Wish you good luck for MCAT. I am sure you will do great!!!

Reactions: 2 users
You have spent good money..now DON'T follow up with bad....If you have to...ask four experienced RX floggers (or 10) and see the reaction......Pharmacy schools hire forked tongues....

Never settle for a degree or jump to a degree based on fear and wishful thinking.

If you study and "fear" you don't get into MD/DO so what? Try it again the following year and beef up your application. Thus far your on the right track in preparation. Take time studying your MCAT. Medical Schools are not going anywhere. If it takes more time to do what you want then be patient. Don't jump to something because it seems faster only to regret it after 30+ years of clocking in and out of a job you settled with.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank You everyone for taking your time to comment on my post. It looks like you all have clear my doubts. I will be continuing prepping for the mcat and also finish up my senior year strong to boost up that gpa, graduate and apply for Md/DO. :):thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah- I was once in your shoes. Had a degree in BIO and didn't really want a minimum wage lab job. Started taking secondary education credits, but all of the ex-teachers on the faculty told me not to waste my time, that I had the potential to do something "better". An organic chem professor who I met by chance suggested pharmacy. So I looked into it, transferred right into the professional program. 3 years later was licensed and have been making a living at that ever since. But that was then, this is now. If I had heard half the things that are true about pharmacy now, I never would have even applied. I can't imagine graduating now and expecting to do pharmacy for the next 30 or 40 years till retirement. The market is too unstable, and the job no longer has any degree of prestige or respect. I was treated like dirt during my final years in retail- had I been early enough in my career I would have simply left the profession and did something else rather than continue. Do yourself a favor...don't even consider pharmacy. Simple words don't do justice to the horror it has become.