I am just discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know I do not know any of you people, but I know pre-meds are the only people who can have an idea of what I'm going through right now. I talk to my family and friends, yet I know that they cannot empathize with me for they have no idea what it is like with the whole medical school application process.
I just want to vent and hope someone writes back some encouraging words. First, I made a 19L on the April MCAT. I was down, but I bounced back up and went ahead submitting my application indicating that I will be taking it again in August. I have been listening to the heck out of the Audio Osmosis CD's and taking a few Kaplan topical tests here and there. This past week, I took AAMC 6 and made a 24. Although that was an improvement, that test seemed easy compared to the beast I took in April. Right now, I am so burned out on studying that thinking about the books makes me want to puke. On top of it all, my friend decided to dump me out of the blue about two weeks ago and has been acting very stupid since then. Anyways, I hoped to get my application in early, but the community college I took a summer class at says it can't send out transcripts until the middle of August.
I know that I will pick myself up and get back to studying. I just wanted to vent to a group of people who have an idea of what pressure I am under right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep trying man. I took the April MCAT and did not score what I would like. I picked up all the EK books and so far did every problem in the 1001 organic and bio. I raised my score from an 8 to a 10. I don't even know how I got an 8 on the real thing considering I never hit anything above a 7. Keep trying. So far I am very happy with my improvement in BS I am starting the Gen Chem and physics books now. I hope they can raise me two points also. Good Luck

vent! vent!
Forget your friend and keep moving forward. You should change that distraction to determination. If your friend does not understand how important and hard this journey is for you then let that person go!

Remember the proverb,

When you're trying to achieve something, the whole world is against you. Victory is in killing all of them bugs, no matter how much pain that causes you-- and moving ahead, ahead, so far ahead , that in the end the same bugs will envy you for your achievements.

Well I don't think this is a proverb, but a modified a certain proverb I remembered indistinctly.

I'm sure you can do it! GO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the good words of encouragement. I know that I can do it, but I was just a little down at the time I first wrote this post. Thanks again everyone.

JohnUC33 said:
Thanks for all the good words of encouragement. I know that I can do it, but I was just a little down at the time I first wrote this post. Thanks again everyone.

You can do it. The Berkeley review books are great, so if you have time get those. Their organic and gen chem books are the best out there. There is physics is solid but their bio is overkill. So use something else for bio. There verbal has great passages but questions lack MCAT feel.

Do as many problems as possible. Get EK material, get anything...just keep practicing. Dont give up. And when studying, try to like it, dont burn yourself out. I know, its hard, trust me....but maybe go outside and study. Or go somewhere you like with flashcards in hand. Relate your studying to happy places, I know, it sounds stupid, but sometimes, it works.

Don't worry, your not the only one. I have score lower than that. Just keep yourself motivated and focused and dont lose confidence. You will do good if you have the right attitude and bad if you don't.

Just remember that success is directly proportional to confidence:

Success=k*confidence , where k=innate intelligence proportionality constant

Since some people have less k, they need to increase thier confidence to get success. Anyone can do well as long as they have confidence.

Good Luck!

rs76 said:
Don't worry, your not the only one. I have score lower than that. Just keep yourself motivated and focused and dont lose confidence. You will do good if you have the right attitude and bad if you don't.

Just remember that success is directly proportional to confidence:

Success=k*confidence , where k=innate intelligence proportionality constant

Since some people have less k, they need to increase thier confidence to get success. Anyone can do well as long as they have confidence.

Good Luck!

That's the best equation ever.

u can do it!!!!!!!!!!

i think a lot of pre-meds often get caught up in the competition and thoughts of compassion for our patients, but luckily when it comes down to the wire, we're like one big frat and can provide support and commiserate :D

now all we need to do is figure out how to have a kegger on sdn...

studying for this test can definitely be draining and discouraging at times. studying for april i lacked the confidence and it showed on my test, this time i am much more confident and it has shown so far on my practice tests. also dont burn yourself out either, it will take a toll on u come test day. study hard, but also find some time to relax a bit and unwind otherwise u will b exhausted on august 20th. good luck and hopefully all of the hard work will pay off!! :)

I have to say I have been pretty optimistic throughout the last 6 months of studying. Don't worry, 6 months but very little hours of studying. I have a family, 2 toddlers and a big baby for a husband :( . I have wanted this so bad and have gone through so much crap and soooooo many part time years of pre-reqs. and now I'm almost there...and it just seems so difficult. I feel like the very little bit of studying I do, really doesn't amount to anything. All I am aiming at is a lousy 25 on the MCAT, but still am not there yet!

My problem, is really lack of practice, and time. I have spent all this time studying the EK books, and really no practice tests. Only the ones at the end of each chapter and 3 full timed AAMC tests....the latest a score of 18 :eek: Now w/ 3 weeks to go, I want to attack the 1001 series, but feel like I won't have enough time to cover what I need to. Oh did I mention my husband and I are not doing well? Major issues, that a therapist will soon hear! Plus it's really difficult and distracting when there is problems at home...quite sad today :( :( Sorry to spill the beans to my fellow MCATters,but who else will I turn to.

Any advise anyone...on the MCAT anyway...Thank you :)

Ebete said:
I have to say I have been pretty optimistic throughout the last 6 months of studying. Don't worry, 6 months but very little hours of studying. I have a family, 2 toddlers and a big baby for a husband :( . I have wanted this so bad and have gone through so much crap and soooooo many part time years of pre-reqs. and now I'm almost there...and it just seems so difficult. I feel like the very little bit of studying I do, really doesn't amount to anything. All I am aiming at is a lousy 25 on the MCAT, but still am not there yet!

My problem, is really lack of practice, and time. I have spent all this time studying the EK books, and really no practice tests. Only the ones at the end of each chapter and 3 full timed AAMC tests....the latest a score of 18 :eek: Now w/ 3 weeks to go, I want to attack the 1001 series, but feel like I won't have enough time to cover what I need to. Oh did I mention my husband and I are not doing well? Major issues, that a therapist will soon hear! Plus it's really difficult and distracting when there is problems at home...quite sad today :( :( Sorry to spill the beans to my fellow MCATters,but who else will I turn to.

Any advise anyone...on the MCAT anyway...Thank you :)

I feel ya. I have problems in the family, but with my parents. This totally is the place to spill the beans, when you feel a little discouraged.

I guess, now on just do a lot of practice problems from 1001 series. Whenever you hit something you don't understand, hit the review books. Make sure you learn from your mistakes and try studying at the library as much as possible, to keep you away from the tensed atmosphere at home.

Practice, practice and practice and you'll be fine!