I can answer your questions about matching at a top program as an Aussie grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan564

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I started an Aussie med school FAQ:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=722951

People seemed to like that, so I figured I'd create a new thread for people who have questions about matching in the US. I applied in psych as was lucky enough to match at my top choice, WashU. I created a thread like this in the USyd North American facebook group, so I figured I might as well do the same for you guys. As it happens, another resident in St. Louis did the same thing recently, so you can get two perspectives - one from a guy who matched in a competitive specialty, and another from a guy who matched at a top program in a not-very-competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

A few years ago, I started an Aussie med school FAQ:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=722951

People seemed to like that, so I figured I'd create a new thread for people who have questions about matching in the US. I applied in psych as was lucky enough to match at my top choice, WashU. I created a thread like this in the USyd North American facebook group, so I figured I might as well do the same for you guys. As it happens, another resident in St. Louis did the same thing recently, so you can get two perspectives - one from a guy who matched in a competitive specialty, and another from a guy who matched at a top program in a not-very-competitive specialty.

Really appreciate your time in setting this up. Is the USyd North American facebook group open to everyone?

Thanks again.

No, it's only for USyd students. It's meant for people to communicate about issues that directly pertain to current students. If you're coming to USyd next year, I can tell you how to find it. If you're just looking for general information as a prospective student, SDN is the place to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey shan564,

It has been a while. Congratulations on matching, that is fantastic news and you must be thrilled!

Take care and good luck in your residency!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Glad that you're still helping students out. Thanks for the positive wishes. I'm surprised that you still remembered me...

Hey shan564,

Yes, I do remember after all these years. I follow the progression of most that study medicine in Oz and see where they ended up, whether they decided to stay in Oz, or come back to Canada or the US.

As you know, it is a big decision to study medicine outside of North America, so not only do I help with admissions and transition to Oz, but also keep tabs on most to see whether they need any assistance once they are done their degrees in terms of coming back or staying in Oz.

I am absolutely thrilled for you and your successful match!

Mate, keep us all posted on your progress through your residency and your medical career!

Take care and if there is anything you ever need, please let me know.

Matt

Hi Shan564:

Really do appreciate the fact that you are helping out. Not a lot of residents are willing to do that. So thank you.

I wanted to ask you if it is true that after you graduate, can you work in Australia? I am a Canadian Citizen, actually doing very well at uni for a change (I found out I wanted to be a doctor last year). However there is a lot of obstacles for me here and it would be huge burden lifted if I was out of Canada for a while. The only thing keeping me from leaving is the fact that it is very competitive to return to Canada and be matched into a very competitive specialty. However if I can study in Australia, not only would it lift a huge burden, however if I do not get matched in Canada, then I can work in Australia. I am very fixated on Radiology and being a Radiologist was my die-hard goal from last year. Seeing what they do first-hand made me fell in love with it. So if you can provide some insight, I really will appreciate it.
--
Kind Regards,
Damon Mikaelis

At a recent Oztrekk seminar, they mentioned that if you married a Australian citizenship then you will be treated like a domestic student for internship purpose. Is this correct?

Thank you.

At a recent Oztrekk seminar, they mentioned that if you married a Australian citizenship then you will be treated like a domestic student for internship purpose. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Yes (sort of). However, you will need to go through the process of getting permanent residence and this shouldn't be taken lightly, particularly when going through the marriage pathway. My roommate did this very early on in med school. It will be up to the institution if they let you pay local fees, but you will be domestic when it comes to internship allocation.

That is true regardless of how you become a permanent resident.

Also, to really guarantee the spot, you have to convert to a domestic student place. This doesn't happen automatically when you become a permanent resident - you need to talk to your school about it. The worst-case scenario is that your Australian permanent resident status means that you have to lose your international student place (since you're not technically supposed to be an international student if you're a PR), and they don't have a domestic spot available for you, so you can't continue in your program until a spot opens up. So make sure you check with your school before you do that.

But this thread is meant to be for people to ask questions about matching in the US...

What do prospects look like matching in the US with a MBBS from Flinders?

It's hard to say what the "prospects" are, since the numbers are changing rapidly. It also depends largely on how competitive of a specialty you choose. Flinders doesn't have the same name recognition as Sydney or Melbourne, although I think the training there is just as good.

But all that aside, the most important factor in your application is your own application... your Step scores, your rec letters, your CV, etc. It doesn't have too much to do with your school.

Flinders was the first grad program here, and (as a consequence) the first to take substantial numbers of Americans. They have had agreements with American med schools for rotations (I think Columbia among them) and last I knew had very good residency placement stats (albeit that was a number of years ago).

One of the SDN mods, Winged Scapula (Kimberli), went there and returned for surg.

They have had agreements with American med schools for rotations (I think Columbia among them)

Just FYI that this option doesn't exist at Flinders anymore (as of my year); we were told that the Columbia exchange program won't be happening anymore. Flinders did have an agreement with a UK medical school as well but I'm not too clear on the details of that anymore.