I didn't apply to any prelims - is that a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Haze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My thinking was that if I applied to prelim spots and got one, I'd miss out on a chance to scramble for a catagorical spot. Is that how it works or can you still scramble of a catagorical spot even if you rank a prelim?

Members don't see this ad.

Blue Haze said:
My thinking was that if I applied to prelim spots and got one, I'd miss out on a chance to scramble for a catagorical spot. Is that how it works or can you still scramble of a catagorical spot even if you rank a prelim?

If you match to a prelim spot, the match agreement specifically precludes you from scrambling for any PGY1 spot for that year (or from another program accepting you).

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/map_main.html#match_commit

NRMP said:
5.1 Match Commitment The listing of an applicant by a program on its certified rank order list or of a program by an applicant on the applicant's certified rank order list establishes a binding commitment to offer or to accept an appointment if a match results. Each such appointment is subject to the official policies of the appointing institution in effect on the date the program submits its rank order list and is contingent upon the matching applicant meeting all eligibility requirements imposed by those policies. Those requirements must be communicated to applicants in writing prior to the rank order list certification deadline. It is recommended that each program obtain a signed acknowledgement of such communication from each applicant who interviews with such program.

Failure to honor this commitment by either party participating in a match will be a material breach of this Agreement and may result in penalties to the breaching program or applicant, as described in Section 7.0. In addition, the non-breaching party may seek any remedy available to it under the terms of this Agreement.

Any program that offers a position to an applicant who matched to a concurrent year position in another program will be in material breach of this Agreement and may be subject to the penalties described in Section 7.0. Prior to offering a position to an applicant, a program must take reasonable steps to ascertain the applicant's match status, including contacting the NRMP to obtain that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Haze said:

Not applying to prelims is the right decision. If you don't match into a categorical spots, there are always plenty of prelim spots available in the scramble.

its not that smart of a move. scrambling sucks. trust me, i did it. you will not end up in the city/state/region of your choice. spots fill fast, usually with students who didnt match from that school.

radonc said:
its not that smart of a move. scrambling sucks. trust me, i did it. you will not end up in the city/state/region of your choice. spots fill fast, usually with students who didnt match from that school.

Do not plan to scramble. You should have enough time to apply to prelim programs.

CambieMD