I got a 576 on step 1 comlex . I've seen the average board scores vs accepted residencies published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetScience87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 576 on step 1 comlex . I've seen the average board scores vs accepted residencies published by GME . Is that what it actually is ? Would you say my score is competitive for orthopedics for example ? I'm basically asking . Here's what I got now what ?

Members don't see this ad.

In the world of AOA residencies, at least at this time, it seems to be more about connections and good performance on aways than board scores. Scores are important, but the range of scores in each specialty is pretty broad from what I gather. Be aware that I'm only applying ACGME, so I haven't looked into AOA residencies much beyond what I have read on this site.

I wouldn't think a 576 would absolutely shut many/any doors, but it's not a world beating score by any-means.

Hope that makes sense.

Based on those rotating in ortho this year, I hate the bear bad news but it's a LONG shot for ortho. Those scores are so skewed with such a small sample size. There are people rolling through with 800s at Harrisburg last month and I haven't met a single rotator less than 600 out of 3 slots. 600 used to mean something but with ortho/ent/urology most competitive applicants are pushing closer to 700. This was not the case as recent as 2 years ago for sure. Set up auditions at less desirable places and know your ortho COLD going in. It's not impossible. As for places like Harrisburg, PCOM, riverside, Broward, doctors in ohio. Forget it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For ortho you're typically looking at 600+. It's possible below that but those that matched at that level have great connections and/or extremely strong audition performance.

how do USMLE scores factor into play here. What if a student with a 580+ has a 240+ USMLE would that help at all. Are there any places that look at USMLE scores stronger than others?

Just look at the data. What has been the average comlex score for ortho over the past 5 years. It's not 600 or 700. So yes, u mAy have one or two people with ridic scores but the avg still comes out to be 560-580. Don't let people scare u from applying.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all programs you are interested in (think avg matched score is 560-570). Only programs I would say you won't match at are Toledo (ranks by boards) and Des Peres (want 600+ to rotate).

The strong programs in the country will take you with good work ethic and that score imo (ie. doctors, lansing, harrisburg, pcom)

Thank you for your information guys. I really appreciate it . I was also looking into Radiology and Anesthesiology . Any opinions on my chances in matching at those with my current score ? Please and Thank You in advance.

Thank you for your information guys. I really appreciate it . I was also looking into Radiology and Anesthesiology . Any opinions on my chances in matching at those with my current score ? Please and Thank You in advance.

Did you take Step 1? Rads and Anesthesiology are doable as a DO but you need step 1.

Ive heard to avoid AOA Anesthesiology programs like the plague, IDK about Radiology.

Did you take Step 1? Rads and Anesthesiology are doable as a DO but you need step 1.

Ive heard to avoid AOA Anesthesiology programs like the plague, IDK about Radiology.

In general, same for Rads.

Reactions: 1 user
how do USMLE scores factor into play here. What if a student with a 580+ has a 240+ USMLE would that help at all. Are there any places that look at USMLE scores stronger than others?

Applying to ACGME with Step scores, your Level 1 or 2 scores are almost entirely irrelevant. I went to nearly 30 interviews. 0 programs mentioned my COMLEX scores. Maybe 5-10 (really hard to recall now) commented on my Step scores (thankfully, with compliments). At least for Radiology and preliminary years (my areas), with very similar scores to those above, it seemed like USMLE was EXCLUSIVELY looked at.

I've heard this a lot on SDN as well, particularly about gas. I've asked why and the answer is usually something along the lines if 'not enough case volume and complexity' at AOA hospitals.' Ok, I get that, but why doesn't the same problem apply equally to General Surgery, Ortho, or IM?

I've heard this a lot on SDN as well, particularly about gas. I've asked why and the answer is usually something along the lines if 'not enough case volume and complexity' at AOA hospitals.' Ok, I get that, but why doesn't the same problem apply equally to General Surgery, Ortho, or IM?

You can read more in the anesthesia forum but I believe there are some hospital systems that won't recognize the aoa residency/boards for anesthesia..I.e. can't get a job. I think this is a minority but something that has permeated through and I have always heard for going acgme over aoa (outside of the volumes, complexity etc).

I got a 576 on step 1 comlex . I've seen the average board scores vs accepted residencies published by GME . Is that what it actually is ? Would you say my score is competitive for orthopedics for example ? I'm basically asking . Here's what I got now what ?
Nobody can predict the future RADS, it was stupidly uncompetitive this cycle and your 576 probably would have been far more than enough. This next cycle it might be different. Take step2 USMLE and put yourself in the best position possible.