I got a B in Gen Chem 1, will it be a huge negative on my med school chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am currently a Freshman studying at a community college in California. This is my first semester, and I currently am taking 16 units which include Calculus 1 and Gen Chem 1. Although the semester is not over yet I feel very confident( sadly) that although I will most likely get an A in calculus, I am going to end up with a B in Gen chem 1. This is really bringing me down right now because I am just scared that if already in Gen Chem I have a B, how can I possibly get A's in Gen Chem 2 and Organic chem and Bio Chem?

Also I want to know by getting a B in gen chem 1, how did I negatively affect my chances of getting into medicals school?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

One B isn't going to have a big effect on your chances of getting into medical schools, but don't make a habit of it. What you need to do is evaluate why you got a B and figure out how to get A's consistently. You may need to study more, study harder, study smarter, go to TA office hours, go to professor office hours, or whatever else you can think of. If you find your grades slipping early on in the quarter/semester, it will be up to you to take the initiative to fix it in time to boost your grades. Of course, this B may just be a fluke, so don't worry about it too much.

I am just really sad to start my college "life", already with a B in Gen Chem. People say Organic Chem and Gen Chem 2 are alot harder for some, and I am honestly very worried and stressed out about this whole thing i am going through right now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just really sad to start my college "life", already with a B in Gen Chem. People say Organic Chem and Gen Chem 2 are alot harder for some, and I am honestly very worried and stressed out about this whole thing i am going through right now :(
Don't be sad. I started out with a 2.1 GPA in my first two years with a bunch of W's. I pretty much shattered my chances of becoming a doctor. I worked hard for the next 4 years (with a 9 year gap) and graduated with a 3.3. That B isn't going to kill you.

Edit: You should ask yourself "did I do my absolute best?" If not, then you know you can do better.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol you should not be worrying about a B at all. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a 4.0 to be a freakin doctor.

I never got an A in the core pre-reqs (took a bunch of BS sci electives to blatantly raise my sGPA) and am killing it this cycle.

Lol you should not be worrying about a B at all. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a 4.0 to be a freakin doctor.

I never got an A in the core pre-reqs (took a bunch of BS sci electives to blatantly raise my sGPA) and am killing it this cycle.

In OP's defense, it looks like you absolutely crushed your MCAT and showed that you're extremely competent with the core pre-req material.

Don't worry about a B though. I know quite a few people who did poorly in gen chem but did well in orgo. The two classes require very different understanding.

Reactions: 1 users
In OP's defense, it looks like you absolutely crushed your MCAT and showed that you're extremely competent with the core pre-req material.
True. But that further justifies that B's are nothing to worry about.

Reality is that while med school is certainly competitive, it's overhyped sometimes. A 3.5 sGPA (a perfectly adequate number for the vast majority of places) coupled with a decent MCAT makes you competitive for lots of schools.

A 3.5 means 1/2 A's, 1/2 B's. Hardly a 4.0 student.

No, and swallow two of these stat, please:

upload_2015-10-21_13-14-15.jpeg

Hey Guys,

I am currently a Freshman studying at a community college in California. This is my first semester, and I currently am taking 16 units which include Calculus 1 and Gen Chem 1. Although the semester is not over yet I feel very confident( sadly) that although I will most likely get an A in calculus, I am going to end up with a B in Gen chem 1. This is really bringing me down right now because I am just scared that if already in Gen Chem I have a B, how can I possibly get A's in Gen Chem 2 and Organic chem and Bio Chem?

Also I want to know by getting a B in gen chem 1, how did I negatively affect my chances of getting into medicals school?

Thanks everyone

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry OP, I regret to inform you that over 96% of med school matriculants have never gotten a B in Gen Chem. Your chances for med school are sunk.

Psst take those Xanax from Goro you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also, will coming from an community college, and transferring to either UcDavis or uc Los Angeles affect my application negatively? And reduce my chances of admission ?

I transferred to UC Davis from American River College as well as lots of my friends. I know three people personally who went to a community college, transferred to a UC school and got accepted to multiple medical schools.

I transferred to UC Davis from American River College as well as lots of my friends. I know three people personally who went to a community college, transferred to a UC school and got accepted to multiple medical schools.
Did any have B's in any community college courses though? that's my main worry is i got a B in a prereq course at a cc.

I got a B+ in gen chem 1, calc 1, and bio 1 my first semester freshman year. It brought me down a LOT, but I realized that I needed to go to office hours more and study better. I made a 4.0 the next semester and I have nearly perfect scores in all my classes now (including ochem). Everyone makes mistakes; it's not the end of the world, especially since you're only a freshman. Figure out what you could have done differently and work ten times harder next time. Not getting an A in gen chem 1 does NOT mean you can't rock the rest of your science classes! You can do this!!! By the way, I highly recommend going to lots and lots of office hours. Your professors respect you when you show that you care, and that's important for rec letters!!!

I remember one of these threads where someone said, "I got a B+ in gen chem 1, are my chances for med school over?"

Classic response: Yes. You should check this out ASAP, www.mcdonalds.com/careers

Did any have B's in any community college courses though? that's my main worry is i got a B in a prereq course at a cc.

Each of them received "B" and "C" grades plenty of times during their undergraduate careers. In fact, one of them received C grades in general chemistry and calculus and was still able to gain multiple acceptances to medical school.

B grades are normal for students. A trend in B and C grades will tell a story about the kind of student you are but a B grade every now and then is certainly nothing to lose sleep over. As hard as it may be, try taking each B grade as a learning lesson instead of as a negative. Ask yourself "What can I do better for next quarter/semester?" and make a list of everything you can improve on.