I Hate Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Frankly, I do know a doctor who dislikes patients. Radiologist. Hasn't spoken to a patient in years, and enjoys his work.

Members don't see this ad.

:smuggrin: @ smelled of metallic. Yea, I can see how post-docs can definitely get away with this more than others. I've worked "with" PhDs that I rarely actually spoke with. It's varied for me though.

It all depends. I've come across some winning personalities in organic chemistry, especially those in "brand-name" research labs. Gossip about who is actually competent, who has a first-author pub in JACS, who is post-doc'ing where afterwards, etc. And my hard-assed-but-fair approach with my colleagues has certainly ruffled a few feathers to the point where it was one of my major concerns when I started to re-examine medicine. Do I really like patients?

Considering my decision to apply this year... :) And I think law2doc hit the nail on the head with the dynamic being totally different, but what do I know, I'm just a n00b pre-med. :p

Does that mean med school is not for me?

Find most of them crass and annoying, don't really care about their stories about grand children and hobbies, etc.

Are there any good options for an MD that doesn't involve patients?

A friend of mine is a teleradiologist. As you can imagine he has absolutely zero patient contact. He just goes into his office, shuts the door and cranks it out without any interruptions. I've actually hang out with him sometimes when he's working. There is always either ESPN or a movie going around in the background. He's got a pretty nice office set up in his media room.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're aware that this thread is > 4 years old? OP has probably gone on to some other career.

A friend of mine is a teleradiologist. As you can imagine he has absolutely zero patient contact. He just goes into his office, shuts the door and cranks it out without any interruptions. I've actually hang out with him sometimes when he's working. There is always either ESPN or a movie going around in the background. He's got a pretty nice office set up in his media room.

Does that mean med school is not for me?

Find most of them crass and annoying, don't really care about their stories about grand children and hobbies, etc.

Are there any good options for an MD that doesn't involve patients?

There are still a lot of variables here that you are going to have to sort out personally. Some have already been brought up. Do you hate some patients or all patients? Do you want to heal people, but wish they would just shut up about anything that does not pertain to their illness? Does the "hatred" for patients cause you distress when you have to deal with them? Can you deal with these things while going through med school before you can switch your focus on research? Do you just hate the poor patients?

Quite frankly, I've worked with several doctors who seem to hate 90% of the patients who walk through the door. Just about every doctor I work with (and most of the staff) has some kind of preconceived notion about a patient before they even treat them. They are all good docs and the patients get quality treatment, but behind the scenes things aren't as noble/altruistic/heart felt/etc. etc as the idealists among us might like them to be.

Depending on some of the answers above you may very well be an dingus, but they don't necessarily disqualify you from being a doctor. Hell, the doctor who delivered my second daughter basically told my wife to shut up while she was pushing because she screamed too loud. He was a jerk, but my daughter and wife were both taken care of.

This is an old thread. However as was discussed four years ago, your friend still made it though med school, an intern year and 4-5 years of residency and fellowship where there was likely quite a bit of patient contact.

You're aware that this thread is > 4 years old? OP has probably gone on to some other career.
OR he moved to Oregon and did become a nurse like @Dares Dareson said and is actively involved with Death With Dignity, but for his own peace, not the patients

Means to an end...there is something in medicine for everyone...it takes all types