i hate patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you need to learn how to read. I was respond to the original poster who wrote a long, racist and ridiculous rant that just so happened to be on the home page of this forum!! I was not making generalizations about medical students all being asians. I was STRICTLY replying to the OP. I know that the OP is in the minority. Most med students are probably cool people (of ALL races). But that individual was an idiot...hence the reason why he's banned...(I hope).

I hope you're not attacking me because you agree with the OP...Because that would make you an idiot.

Yeah, stupid racist Asians!

DoctorLion, I know you spend a lot of time reading studies about why people turn out the way they do, but we actually have to deal with ****ty people all day instead of read about them. I appreciate that my patients bear the burden of racism and poverty. That doesn't change the fact that many of those people are bitter, manipulative, dysfunctional bastards. I do not blame anyone who is burned out on taking care of patients. It's draining. Get out of your ivory tower and spend your life actually dealing with sick, scared, miserable people on a day in, day out basis. It's not an academic exercise for us. Yeah, OP's statements are pretty out of line, but I appreciate where he's coming from.

That being said, I'm a subscriber to Louis Pasteur's philosophy: "You suffer. That is enough for me."

Members don't see this ad.

You need to dial it down, man. You're not even half as clever as you think you are :laugh:

By the way Grover is right, you are a lapdog, everyone saw you lapdogging prowler in the other thread. :D

+1 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agree.. but you'll never get him to see that, so just save your energy. :laugh:

Yeah, stupid racist Asians!

DoctorLion, I know you spend a lot of time reading studies about why people turn out the way they do, but we actually have to deal with ****ty people all day instead of read about them. I appreciate that my patients bear the burden of racism and poverty. That doesn't change the fact that many of those people are bitter, manipulative, dysfunctional bastards. I do not blame anyone who is burned out on taking care of patients. It's draining. Get out of your ivory tower and spend your life actually dealing with sick, scared, miserable people on a day in, day out basis. It's not an academic exercise for us. Yeah, OP's statements are pretty out of line, but I appreciate where he's coming from.

That being said, I'm a subscriber to Louis Pasteur's philosophy: "You suffer. That is enough for me."

Why do you think I am studying psychology? I want to help those people, encourage awareness about WHY those people are so bloody dysfunctional and then hopefully make a change! So that when they get to you, you won't experience the brunt of their bitterness. I deal with those bitter people everyday! But seeing them hasn't made me angry. I understand where they are coming. I am not excusing their actions, but I do understand them and I sympathize with them. WHY? Because I'm a human being and I take responsibility for my share of their heart ache. I realize that I'm fortunate and that my life has spared me from the dredges of society. So you can sympathize with the stressed out OP who can rant about the quality of his patients all you want. But realize that YOU ARE LUCKY! and YOU will never experience HALF of what those people have to go through. So unless you came into the profession JUST to fill up your pockets, come off your high horse. That or go work in Beverly Hills where you can deal with the "best" society has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agree.. but you'll never get him to see that, so just save your energy. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8uImE775Cc&t=0m18s

Fortunately my sense of self worth/esteem/whatever is not in any way tied to a nameless, faceless, nobody on the other end of the internet :laugh: It's easy enough to just assume anything you don't find clever is simply over your head or made you butthurt.

That was awfully direct for someone who has been here for only a few days. Been banned and remade an account recently? or just too new to have any idea of the other nonsense that precipitated this ridiculous thread....

In reality the majority of minorities who benefit from affirmative action are minorities who have not come from "the ghetto" and who genuinely deserve to be where they are. But that's an entirely different issue. The cycle of discrimination is what created the "ghettos", the poverty, poor schools and living conditions. It even creates the "lack of value placed on education in those communities". If you do a little research on the psychological effects of discrimination you will understand what I'm talking about. Psychologists have done a lot of research on how discrimination can change bright, loving children into hateful, lazy...quite evil beings. I have even read studies conducted that illustrate that if you are told that you will not do well on an exam, you will do poorly despite knowing the answers. So imagine what "ghetto" children must be experiencing with constant racism and messages telling them that they are "evil, criminals" that have low I.Q.s and will never amount to anything. Do you think these children will bother trying to escape the poverty? Or do you think they will rebel against a society that they feel is unfair? Some will try (mainly those who have parents who refuse to accept unfair treatment). But a lot will not. And those same children who rebel will grow up and have more children who rebel...thus the cycle continues.

I think you are grossly overstating the effect of discrimination. Yes it is still an issue but it isn't the main issue anymore. I've actually worked with inner city kids, and I've found that their problems are far more complex. These kids are not facing the type of discrimination you're talking about on a daily basis within their communities. What they are facing is the influence of crime, gangs, violence, and drugs. Their problem is not society telling them they aren't good enough, it's the fact that they don't have parents to tell them they are. One of the kids I worked with had a drug addicted mother who cared more about getting her fix than her kids, and a father he never met. No one around him champions education. He wasn't being discriminated against, he just wasn't being cared for. The culture in these communities needs to change, and that needs to be led by people who have escaped and become successful themselves. It's easy to pin this all on society as a whole, but that's not the way to solve the problems these people are having. I don't buy your argument that these people are mentally suppressed by racism and lack self confidence as a result. As I said, I've actually worked in inner city areas and people there are not 'suppressed' in any way. In fact they are very vocal about unfair treatment and bad living conditions! They have quite a lot of self-confidence, it just gets applied in the way of violence and crime and not into academics.

If you want to help these people, don't tell them that they are victims of discrimination and will never escape the cycle. Everyone has obstacles in life. If you want to be successful, you don't blame the obstacles, you work to overcome them. This message of strength is what we need to be giving these inner city kids, not the idea that they are stuck in some kind of inescapable cycle that society has put them in.

By the way, Asians also faced considerable discrimination since their early days in this country. If you don't believe me, look here: http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,bl...e-persecution-in-the-USA-history-timeline.htm. But it has actually had no effect on their ability to thrive and succeed. Not only did they have to overcome discrimination, but immigrants also had the issue of not knowing the language or the customs of the country, which they also had to overcome. So the point is, if you have the right mindset and are driven, you can overcome these obstacles. These are the examples that we should be giving inner city children, not letting them blame all their problems on discrimination instead of attacking them head on.

Last edited:
Users are reminded that insulting each other, harassing (either directly or via PM), or using abbreviations for profanity are all violations of the SDN Terms of Service and can result in administrative action against your account and result in thread closure.

Please play like grown-ups please. If you find yourself getting upset (it happens to all of us), remind yourself this is an internet BB, not a member of your family or a friend, and walk away for a few seconds to compose yourself.

Why do you think I am studying psychology? I want to help those people, encourage awareness about WHY those people are so bloody dysfunctional and then hopefully make a change! So that when they get to you, you won't experience the brunt of their bitterness. I deal with those bitter people everyday! But seeing them hasn't made me angry. I understand where they are coming. I am not excusing their actions, but I do understand them and I sympathize with them. WHY? Because I'm a human being and I take responsibility for my share of their heart ache. I realize that I'm fortunate and that my life has spared me from the dredges of society. So you can sympathize with the stressed out OP who can rant about the quality of his patients all you want. But realize that YOU ARE LUCKY! and YOU will never experience HALF of what those people have to go through. So unless you came into the profession JUST to fill up your pockets, come off your high horse. That or go work in Beverly Hills where you can deal with the "best" society has to offer.

Sounds like YOU are the one on the high horse buddy. You're the one lecturing us on how to be a good human being and telling us that you've never had a negative thought about anyone... yeah, right. Give me a break.

I think you are grossly overstating the effect of discrimination. Yes it is still an issue but it isn't the main issue anymore. I've actually worked with inner city kids, and I've found that their problems are far more complex. These kids are not facing the type of discrimination you're talking about on a daily basis within their communities. What they are facing is the influence of crime, gangs, violence, and drugs. Their problem is not white people telling them they aren't good enough, it's the fact that they don't have parents to tell them they are. One of the kids I worked with had a drug addicted mother who cared more about getting her fix than her kids, and a father he never met. No one around him champions education. He wasn't being discriminated against, he just wasn't being cared for. The culture in these communities needs to change, and that needs to be led by people who have escaped and become successful themselves. It's easy to pin this all on the white man, but that's not the way to solve the problems these people are having. I don't buy your argument that these people are mentally suppressed by racism and lack self confidence as a result. As I said, I've actually worked in inner city areas and people there are not 'suppressed' in any way. In fact they are very vocal about unfair treatment and bad living conditions! They have quite a lot of self-confidence, it just gets applied in the way of violence and crime and not into academics.

By the way, Asians also faced considerable discrimination since their early days in this country. If you don't believe me, look here: http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,bl...e-persecution-in-the-USA-history-timeline.htm. But it has actually had no effect on their ability to thrive and succeed.

First: I never once mentioned white people in my post. Discrimination and racism is not a "white" problem, it's a societal problem and it still exist and is as rampant as ever except it is just not as blatant as it once was. Why do you think that child's mother was addicted to drugs? First ask yourself what drugs do...Many work on Dopamine and Serotonin neurotransmitters right? So the overall affect is to make you happy. This suggests that people who use drugs do so to feel happy because they feel depressed. WHY do they feel depressed? Well things obviously are not working out well in their lives? WHY are things not working out well in their lives? And why are these problems so heavily concentrated in communities that have been notoriously discriminated against? Please do not tell me that you cannot see the correlation here. Please do not forget that the civil rights movement was only a few decades ago. Just because it is not popular/ acceptable to be openly racist, doesn't mean that people are not racist. Case in point, a study came out recently that people applying for jobs with black sounding names were significantly less likely to be called in for an interview DESPITE having the exact same qualifications of those with more white sounding names. They proved this. These people STILL face HEAVY discrimination. And its completely ignorant to deny that they do. Yes, there is a cultural problem with these people, but it is constantly being reinforced by discrimination.

I think that you're making a very typical response to something that you'll never fully understand. I never fully understood it until I took the time to immerse myself into it. I'm speaking as an insider. Sure Asian children face discrimination, but there is still the stereotype of the "Smart, Asian", "yellow fever" not to mention the fact that culturally there is a strong emphasis on family. Asians are always depicted in a positive light. Not to mention the fact that they were never made to be slaves. I think that it's a very typical response to blame these people for their own short comings instead of realizing that there is a giant trend....Rising alcoholism and obesity and crime among native americans...who conveniently enough were also heavily discriminated against...hmm It certainly does make me wonder. But then again I study this, have read many articles about it, actually have black friends and know what I'm talking about.

Please tell me all the positive stereotypes you know about black people in terms of education and achievements :) Then I'll shut up.

Sounds like YOU are the one on the high horse buddy. You're the one lecturing us on how to be a good human being and telling us that you've never had a negative thought about anyone... yeah, right. Give me a break.

I make the effort to be the best human being that I can be. I don't make excuses for myself or try to blame the other person in order to keep the status quo. If I am lecturing you it's because I can see exactly what you're doing. YOU cannot see it because you don't want to see the flaws in your thinking. I'm about ready to give up. No one can learn unless they want to. I was like you once, now I understand how stupid I was. I want to wake other people up. But I think it's an uphill climb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8uImE775Cc&t=0m18s

Fortunately my sense of self worth/esteem/whatever is not in any way tied to a nameless, faceless, nobody on the other end of the internet :laugh: It's easy enough to just assume anything you don't find clever is simply over your head or made you butthurt.

That was awfully direct for someone who has been here for only a few days. Been banned and remade an account recently? or just too new to have any idea of the other nonsense that precipitated this ridiculous thread....

Butthurt? Since when do grown men say "butthurt"? Grow up.

The problem is not that you are soooooo "clever" that the things you say tend to go over everyone's head, it's that you clearly think you are smarter than you really are, but your head is too far up your ass for anyone to have a real conversation with you, so most people don't even bother. Unfortunately, this does nothing but feed your ego and allow you to think that you've won another argument when, in reality, people just don't have the patience or the time to sit here and argue with Limbaugh Jr.

And to answer your question, I'm neither.
Just a long time lurker with questions.

Oh, and unless you are going to explain that link, you shouldn't expect me to click on it.

Have a nice day. :hello:

Butthurt? Since when do grown men say "butthurt"? Grow up.

The problem is not that you are soooooo "clever" that the things you say tend to go over everyone's head, it's that you clearly think you are smarter than you really are, but your head is too far up your ass for anyone to have a real conversation with you, so most people don't even bother. Unfortunately, this does nothing but feed your ego and allow you to think that you've won another argument when, in reality, people just don't have the patience or the time to sit here and argue with Limbaugh Jr.

And to answer your question, I'm neither.
Just a long time lurker with questions.

Oh, and unless you are going to explain that link, you shouldn't expect me to click on it.

Have a nice day. :hello:

okie dokie :) The quote in question was never intended to be clever in the first place. I'ts neat that you guys interpreted it as such though :shrug:

p.s. youtube links are usually pretty benign.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Users are reminded that insulting each other, harassing (either directly or via PM), or using abbreviations for profanity are all violations of the SDN Terms of Service and can result in administrative action against your account and result in thread closure.

Please play like grown-ups please. If you find yourself getting upset (it happens to all of us), remind yourself this is an internet BB, not a member of your family or a friend, and walk away for a few seconds to compose yourself.

:(... fine.

First: I never once mentioned white people in my post. Discrimination and racism is not a "white" problem, it's a societal problem and it still exist and is as rampant as ever except it is just not as blatant as it once was. Why do you think that child's mother was addicted to drugs? First ask yourself what drugs do...Many work on Dopamine and Serotonin neurotransmitters right? So the overall affect is to make you happy. This suggests that people who use drugs do so to feel happy because they feel depressed. WHY do they feel depressed? Well things obviously are not working out well in their lives? WHY are things not working out well in their lives? And why are these problems so heavily concentrated in communities that have been notoriously discriminated against? Please do not tell me that you cannot see the correlation here. Please do not forget that the civil rights movement was only a few decades ago. Just because it is not popular/ acceptable to be openly racist, doesn't mean that people are not racist. Case in point, a study came out recently that people applying for jobs with black sounding names were significantly less likely to be called in for an interview DESPITE having the exact same qualifications of those with more white sounding names. They proved this. These people STILL face HEAVY discrimination. And its completely ignorant to deny that they do. Yes, there is a cultural problem with these people, but it is constantly being reinforced by discrimination.

I think that you're making a very typical response to something that you'll never fully understand. I never fully understood it until I took the time to immerse myself into it. I'm speaking as an insider. Sure Asian children face discrimination, but there is still the stereotype of the "Smart, Asian", "yellow fever" not to mention the fact that culturally there is a strong emphasis on family. Asians are always depicted in a positive light. Not to mention the fact that they were never made to be slaves. I think that it's a very typical response to blame these people for their own short comings instead of realizing that there is a giant trend....Rising alcoholism and obesity and crime among native americans...who conveniently enough were also heavily discriminated against...hmm It certainly does make me wonder. But then again I study this, have read many articles about it, actually have black friends and know what I'm talking about.

Please tell me all the positive stereotypes you know about black people in terms of education and achievements :) Then I'll shut up.

First of all, correlation doesn't equal causation. You should know that as an educated person. I just wanted to point that out.

You seem to be one of those people who just blames every single problem on discrimination. You're telling me the only possible reason the mother is hooked on drugs is because she's unhappy because she was discriminated against. That's a crazy assumption to make since you know absolutely nothing about this person at all. No matter what you believe, everything doesn't tie back into discrimination. There are a lot of reasons why someone might get hooked on drugs that have nothing to do with their race. One of those is living in a culture where drug use is common and drugs are easily obtainable. Also, there are a lot of people who are unhappy for a lot of reasons, and they aren't all on drugs. The instant connection you made between a drug-addict and discrimination, knowing nothing about her, just proves my point about the way you think.

I never denied there was discrimination, so don't call me ignorant. I agree that there is. But it's not the biggest problem right now. It's so much less of an issue today. Most people in our country are not racist. If they were as racist as you say they are, half of our country wouldn't be supporting a black man for president right now for the second time. Seriously. Discrimination is as rampant as ever? Are you crazy?? The biggest problem is the CULTURE in these communities. Yes, that culture developed (partly) because of hte history of discrimination. However, the solution to the issues TODAY is not to blame them on society, but to work from the inside and change the culture. You just want to paint these people as victims and put all the blame on society. By doing that, you're actually propagating and strengthening the effects of discrimination. People like you reinforce the idea that the poor black kid is stuck in a never ending cycle of poverty caused by racism which he is powerless against. I don't do that. I tell them that it doesn't matter what society thinks, they have the ability and the strength inside them to bring about change. This is what brought about the achievements of the civil rights movement in the first place. It happened because many (awesome) black people didn't just keep blaming society for discriminating against them, they actually stood up for themselves and made change. That's the only way that these communities will ever improve and people like you are holding them back by over-exaggerating the effect of discrimination in all this and portraying them as powerless victims, which they're not. The civil rights movement itself proves that they do have the power to bring about change. The fact that we have a black president, and black people in many positions of power also proves it. This is what I reminded my inner city students of. Most people are NOT racists- it's just the fact- and teaching these kids to look at everyone in society as a racist who thinks they are low IQ criminals is just plain wrong and inaccurate, but that's precisely what these kids are taught in their communities.

I don't care how many studies you can pull out to show that discrimination exists. I know that it exists. My point is that you're blowing it way out of proportion, and you're letting these people use it as a crutch.

You are telling me I shouldn't blame these people for their shortcomings. I'm not blaming them. But I'm also not going to tell them to sit back and put all the blame on society. Everyone has difficulties in their life. Some people have mental and physical handicaps, others are discriminated against, others are poor, etc. Life just isn't fair. If you want to be a success, you don't sit back and blame society for all your problems. You stand up and fight. I'm not blaming them for their short-comings- I'm trying to inspire them and get them to realize that they have the power to change. You, on the other hand, are telling them they can't because it's not them it's society, it's discrimnation, it's everything except them. That's just the wrong message to give anybody.

By the way, you're really asking me to prove to you that black people have achievements when the president of the United States is black? When we have so many black people in high positions of government? Do you want me to give you a whole list of successful black entrepreneurs, artists, scientists, athletes?

A black person is leading our country and you're telling me that there is no positive image for blacks, and there's crippling racism. Ok, sure. Any negative stereotype of black people being unintelligent or incapable of success can be immediately dismissed by taking a look around, and taking a look into the white house (for one out of a thousand examples).

The more these inner city communities keep blaming discrimination and people like you support that, the longer they will stay the way they are while everyone else takes matters into their own hands and solves their problems.

Last edited:
I make the effort to be the best human being that I can be. I don't make excuses for myself or try to blame the other person in order to keep the status quo. If I am lecturing you it's because I can see exactly what you're doing. YOU cannot see it because you don't want to see the flaws in your thinking. I'm about ready to give up. No one can learn unless they want to. I was like you once, now I understand how stupid I was. I want to wake other people up. But I think it's an uphill climb.

No, you're lecturing me because you're arrogant and you think you know everything. I didn't blame anyone. You're actually the one blaming me of "keeping the status quo". I don't even know what that means. I never did such a thing. You know nothing about me and you're calling me stupid and unwilling to learn. What does that say about you?

You're the one with flaws in your thinking if you think discrimination is as rampant today as it has ever been. Do you even go outside and look around the country? Is there slavery and segregation going on? Is the klan on every corner?

No, but we do have a black president. We do have people of many races in positions of power all over the country. We do have people of many races in entertainment, athletics, science, medicine, law, engineering, and any other field you can think of that are highly regarded and celebrated. We have many entrepreneurs and CEOs that are minorities. Interracial marriage was once illegal, but is now rising rapidly, over three times as common as it was in 1970.

If you can look at all of this and tell me discrimination is just as prevalent as it was ever, as you did, then you're the delusional one. Discrimination is but a small fraction of what it used to be, and it is quickly getting smaller, especially as the older generations pass on. It's time to let go of the discrimination as the source of all problems argument and start looking for the real solutions.

Last edited:
This guy is basically calling me an uncaring racist idiot, and you just want me to take that?

No... but he does.

:thumbup:

Given that there have been warnings by staff to stop with the insults (and it doesn't have to be profane to be an insult), yet, they continue, and the movement toward what amounts to a political discussion perhaps this thread needs to be moved to TIH or other forum.

This guy is basically calling me an uncaring racist idiot, and you just want me to take that?

This is the internet. People call each other names all the time. Everything about this guy's posts suggests he's a humongous troll with some weird *** fixation on racism and Asians and speaks more to his psychopathology than anything else.

Take the graceful way out and just end it. You're only enabling somebody who gets off on this sort of thing.

Given that there have been warnings by staff to stop with the insults (and it doesn't have to be profane to be an insult), yet, they continue, and the movement toward what amounts to a political discussion perhaps this thread needs to be moved to TIH or other forum.

Huge fan of this idea

This is the internet. People call each other names all the time. Everything about this guy's posts suggests he's a humongous troll with some weird *** fixation on racism and Asians and speaks more to his psychopathology than anything else.

Take the graceful way out and just end it. You're only enabling somebody who gets off on this sort of thing.

OK, you're right. I'm going to stop. It's just that this topic has special meaning to me and when someone comes out with these ridiculous statements, it bothers me.

OP stirred up a ****storm

troll attempt: success

Out of all the hilarious and absurd posts in this thread, I think this one did me in. As always, thanks WS. :highfive:

So... I followed that and got redirected from lmgtfy to interracial porn. Not joking. Fyi

Edit: it worked right the second time :-/ thought lmgtfy was hacked for a sec. Carry on