I have a passion for the medicine field but.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passionful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from pharmacy school at the end of the fall semester of 2012. I was in my 2nd professional year (4th year) of pharmacy school. I was dismissed because of poor performance in classes. I failed 3 professional classes. Since my freshman year, I've gotten nothing but B's and C's and eventually was dismissed with a 2.6 average. Naturally I was devastated but not as surprised. I got caught up with the wrong crowd of people and wasn't nearly as focused as I know I have the potential to be. My 1st semester of my professional year was my best year, because I made a conscious effort to excel. I got all A's and B+'s.

I've never been the type to blame others for my mistakes. I always reflect internally and every since I've transferred to a new 4 year school, I've done some serious soul searching. I've re-centered myself and cut out all the people in my life that I felt were hindering me as well as any distractions. I can tell you in all honesty that I've never been this hungry to succeed. Unfortunately it took this this life changing incident to get me to this level. But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Even though I'm completely aware that HS gpa and SAT's dont determine how well one will do in a professional school, it is noteworthy that I graduated with a 99 average and a 2134 SAT.

It's no BS that I'm a studious person, but how else can I prove that to a future medical school, dental school, or pharmacy school. At my current college I transferred all my electives (All A's) and decided to boldly take all my undergrad science classes over that I received C+'s in. I retook Gen Bio and got A's for both parts. This fall I'm taking Orgo and Physics and Cell Bio with an elective. Taking part two's in the spring and for the next year, I will be taking A &P as well as some advance Bio classes like Microbio, Pharmacology (I loved this class in pharmacy class but got a C+ in it), Genetics sprinkled with some electives required for the school.

My goal: Do exceedingly well. TRANSLATION: aim for all A's. I have something to prove to myself first before any adcom or other judgmental eye. Now that I'm in a completely new environment, removed from all distractions I surprise myself and my parents at how focused I am now.

My Question: (I was getting to it lol)

Do you believe that med school is still in the running if im able to attain my goal. (2nd dental, and last pharmacy school). And no my passion for pharmacy school hasn't disappeared, I just want to do what I've always pictured myself doing, being a medical doctor.

And how do I explain in a way that doesn't sell myself short that I am capable and ready, without sounding like a sob story. My dismissal from pharmacy school is like a chip on my shoulder but is also responsible for the person I now am, focused and self-motivated.

Please help!!! I need honesty not brutality.:) :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

If you excel in the classes you're taking now, do well on the MCAT, and tactfully explain your previous academic shortcomings, I can imagine you getting in somewhere. Show that you've grown and matured.

Random question because I go to a school full of pharmacy kids...

Did you fail P&T? I always hear friends whining about P&T.

I was dismissed from pharmacy school at the end of the fall semester of 2012. I was in my 2nd professional year (4th year) of pharmacy school. I was dismissed because of poor performance in classes. I failed 3 professional classes. Since my freshman year, I've gotten nothing but B's and C's and eventually was dismissed with a 2.6 average. Naturally I was devastated but not as surprised. I got caught up with the wrong crowd of people and wasn't nearly as focused as I know I have the potential to be. My 1st semester of my professional year was my best year, because I made a conscious effort to excel. I got all A's and B+'s.

I've never been the type to blame others for my mistakes. I always reflect internally and every since I've transferred to a new 4 year school, I've done some serious soul searching. I've re-centered myself and cut out all the people in my life that I felt were hindering me as well as any distractions. I can tell you in all honesty that I've never been this hungry to succeed. Unfortunately it took this this life changing incident to get me to this level. But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Even though I'm completely aware that HS gpa and SAT's dont determine how well one will do in a professional school, it is noteworthy that I graduated with a 99 average and a 2134 SAT.

It's no BS that I'm a studious person, but how else can I prove that to a future medical school, dental school, or pharmacy school. At my current college I transferred all my electives (All A's) and decided to boldly take all my undergrad science classes over that I received C+'s in. I retook Gen Bio and got A's for both parts. This fall I'm taking Orgo and Physics and Cell Bio with an elective. Taking part two's in the spring and for the next year, I will be taking A &P as well as some advance Bio classes like Microbio, Pharmacology (I loved this class in pharmacy class but got a C+ in it), Genetics sprinkled with some electives required for the school.

My goal: Do exceedingly well. TRANSLATION: aim for all A's. I have something to prove to myself first before any adcom or other judgmental eye. Now that I'm in a completely new environment, removed from all distractions I surprise myself and my parents at how focused I am now.

My Question: (I was getting to it lol)

Do you believe that med school is still in the running if im able to attain my goal. (2nd dental, and last pharmacy school). And no my passion for pharmacy school hasn't disappeared, I just want to do what I've always pictured myself doing, being a medical doctor.

And how do I explain in a way that doesn't sell myself short that I am capable and ready, without sounding like a sob story. My dismissal from pharmacy school is like a chip on my shoulder but is also responsible for the person I now am, focused and self-motivated.

Wait, how did you only transfer your electives. Don't you just have to send the whole transcript??

Also, you are going to need one heck of an explanation as to why you are changing from pharm to med school. Like what changed that made you realize you wanted to pursue med school and not pharm school (or dental school for that matter). You seem to have no set direction in this post and just seem like you want to do one of the three. You are going to need to be able to explain that eventually.

But yeah, I can see you having a shot at med school if you get things together. Especially a a DO school with grade replacement, so I would work on shadowing a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, just from another pharmacy student. Just redo everything, explain yourself away and you should be fine.

Also, " 2134 SAT. " Isn't the SAT in steps of 10's?

If you excel in the classes you're taking now, do well on the MCAT, and tactfully explain your previous academic shortcomings, I can imagine you getting in somewhere. Show that you've grown and matured.

Random question because I go to a school full of pharmacy kids...

Did you fail P&T? I always hear friends whining about P&T.
Pharmaceutical therapeutics, I received a B+, it was surprisingly easier than some of my other professional classes. I think my teacher was just good. And thank you for your advice!

LOL, just from another pharmacy student. Just redo everything, explain yourself away and you should be fine.

I think the College Board did count by the unit digits before but then switched to 10s because they thought that being too specific wouldn't be "correct" since the test was suppose to only tell a students "general" skills, not the specifics. By scoring in units, it would make a person with a higher score by 1 seem better when in fact they may have same ability. Although the change might have happened long ago ... (maybe even before the 2005 change?)

Note: I read about this long ago in some article and don't have a source so it could be incorrect

Thank you for your advice and I meant 2130, thank for catching that. I just worry, that I won't get the opportunity to do just that. explain myself. I feel like my situation is better explain in person during an interview than an essay. That's considering that I even get the opportunity of getting an interview, ya know?

Thank you for your advice and I meant 2130, thank for catching that. I just worry, that I won't get the opportunity to do just that. explain myself. I feel like my situation is better explain in person during an interview than an essay. That's considering that I even get the opportunity of getting an interview, ya know?

Many secondary applications (which almost every school sends to everyone) have a place to explain something just like this (i.e., academic shortcomings and/or an "other" section). Don't sweat it too much. Just focus on rocking your classes now.

Good luck. :luck:

Wait, how did you only transfer your electives. Don't you just have to send the whole transcript??

Also, you are going to need one heck of an explanation as to why you are changing from pharm to med school. Like what changed that made you realize you wanted to pursue med school and not pharm school (or dental school for that matter). You seem to have no set direction in this post and just seem like you want to do one of the three. You are going to need to be able to explain that eventually.

But yeah, I can see you having a shot at med school if you get things together. Especially a a DO school with grade replacement, so I would work on shadowing a DO.

Yes, I sent my whole transcript and they do see everything but, it's my choice which classes I actually want to transfer over. So for example if I got a C in let's say Gen Chem then I can either transfer it over and ultimately take it over, removing the transfer credit automatically. Or not transfer it at all, and then proceed to take it afresh at that school

And to be honest I listed those three choices because things are still uncertain. Shadowing a DO is great idea and I will surely look into that for experience and more education. Working on a reason is precisley what I need. The truth is what i wrote to start this thread but I obviously cannot present myself that way. i"ll work on it.

I think the College Board did count by the unit digits before but then switched to 10s because they thought that being too specific wouldn't be "correct" since the test was suppose to only tell a students "general" skills, not the specifics. By scoring in units, it would make a person with a higher score by 1 seem better when in fact they may have same ability. Although the change might have happened long ago ... (maybe even before the 2005 change?)

Note: I read about this long ago in some article and don't have a source so it could be incorrect
I also read that as well. i took my SAT in 2007 and 2008 so not too sure. but my grade for each section ended in a 0, so im assuming the change was already in affect.

Many secondary applications (which almost every school sends to everyone) have a place to explain something just like this (i.e., academic shortcomings and/or an "other" section). Don't sweat it too much. Just focus on rocking your classes now.

Thank you, I appreciate it =)

i was dismissed from pharmacy school at the end of the fall semester of 2012. I was in my 2nd professional year (4th year) of pharmacy school. I was dismissed because of poor performance in classes. I failed 3 professional classes. Since my freshman year, i've gotten nothing but b's and c's and eventually was dismissed with a 2.6 average. Naturally i was devastated but not as surprised. I got caught up with the wrong crowd of people and wasn't nearly as focused as i know i have the potential to be. My 1st semester of my professional year was my best year, because i made a conscious effort to excel. I got all a's and b+'s.

I've never been the type to blame others for my mistakes. I always reflect internally and every since i've transferred to a new 4 year school, i've done some serious soul searching. I've re-centered myself and cut out all the people in my life that i felt were hindering me as well as any distractions. I can tell you in all honesty that i've never been this hungry to succeed. Unfortunately it took this this life changing incident to get me to this level. But i'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Even though i'm completely aware that hs gpa and sat's dont determine how well one will do in a professional school, it is noteworthy that i graduated with a 99 average and a 2134 sat.

It's no bs that i'm a studious person, but how else can i prove that to a future medical school, dental school, or pharmacy school. At my current college i transferred all my electives (all a's) and decided to boldly take all my undergrad science classes over that i received c+'s in. I retook gen bio and got a's for both parts. This fall i'm taking orgo and physics and cell bio with an elective. Taking part two's in the spring and for the next year, i will be taking a &p as well as some advance bio classes like microbio, pharmacology (i loved this class in pharmacy class but got a c+ in it), genetics sprinkled with some electives required for the school.

My goal: Do exceedingly well. Translation: Aim for all a's. I have something to prove to myself first before any adcom or other judgmental eye. Now that i'm in a completely new environment, removed from all distractions i surprise myself and my parents at how focused i am now.

my question: (i was getting to it lol)

do you believe that med school is still in the running if im able to attain my goal. (2nd dental, and last pharmacy school). And no my passion for pharmacy school hasn't disappeared, i just want to do what i've always pictured myself doing, being a medical doctor.

And how do i explain in a way that doesn't sell myself short that i am capable and ready, without sounding like a sob story. My dismissal from pharmacy school is like a chip on my shoulder but is also responsible for the person i now am, focused and self-motivated.

2/10

I don't know dropping out 4th year kinda looks bad.... maybe year one or early year 2 is understandable but last year of pharm school?

were your parents paying tuition or something that reduced your motivation to drop out earlier? I could see how if your parents are paying for everything it could keep someone continuing a degree when they need to drop out

I don't know dropping out 4th year kinda looks bad.... maybe year one or early year 2 is understandable but last year of pharm school?

were your parents paying tuition or something that reduced your motivation to drop out earlier? I could see how if your parents are paying for everything it could keep someone continuing a degree when they need to drop out

Fourth year is not the last year of pharmacy school. Sixth year is the last. It's not uncommon for students to start dropping likes flies in P2. I don't remember the exact number, but I am almost positive the minimum cGPA to stay in the pharmacy program at my school is below a 3.0.

My parents were paying out of pocket and I was out of state. It did factor slightly in my decision. or else I would have just transferred to school of public health or just rounded out my BA in bio. I transferred because I wanted to start over somewhere new in my state and not have to pay so much to retake my classes again. And 6th year was my last year. I was dismissed P2 but it was my 4th year in the accelerated 6-year program.

he said dismissed, not dropped out.
The short answer is that for med school time heals old wounds. You can make the argument that you were young and dumb and fell in with the wrong crowd about five years from now. You can't be convincing when this all happened in 2012. Med school won't want pharmacies washouts. So go do something else health related for five or ten years and come back as a nontrad with lots of life experience, and you will have a decent shot at med school. But having been dismissed from pharmacy school in 2012 and applying in 2013 or 2014 isn't going to cut it even if you had straight A's because your inability to finish another professional track is going to be viewed as your strongest indicator of whether you will finish med school.