I have no DO shadowing experience, but I plan to shadow a DO in a few months. Do I mention this in my secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyfisher

Reaction score
I shadowed 200 hours in total with an MD though

Members don't see this ad.

If your secondary has an area to work it in, I would!
I also did not have any DO shadowing, or MD for that matter, but I brought it up on my AACOMAS application in the COVID impact portion. About how I had set-up those opportunities, but the pandemic prevented that from happening, and my intentions to revisit it when able.

Reactions: 1 user
Plans can fall apart but once they receive the letter of recommendation, they will have that information.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting a letter of rec from the MD who I shadowed. Are you saying I should try to get a LOR from the DO i plan to shadow? Thanks
If you are going to shadow a DO you should definitely get an LOR. He/she will expect to write one for you as they know those who shadow typically do so to get that letter. The MD letter is good but some DO schools really do want to see that DO letter in your file.

Doesn't it seem like common sense that if you have a chance to get a letter from a DO you should go for it? That being said you can get into DO programs without one or without any DO experience for that matter, you just have to do a little more work if thats the case. However, like others have said, SOME programs really do prefer DO letters, so why limit yourself if you can get one?

I did virtual shadowing and specifically looked for the DO vids. I included these as hours on my app and then later on shadowed a DO in-person. I also did not get a DO letter of rec and only had MD. Hope this helps :)